Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
BigBass171

What's the Deal with Replacement Spears

Hey, does anyone know what the deal is with replacement spears? I've heard some say that any same diameter shaft will fit as a replacement, some say that only some manufacturers are interchangeable.

Here's what I'm looking for:

I need a new spear for my little Omer 65 (6.5mm spear). The stock Omer shaft seems to be pretty soft and I'd like an upgrade. I was looking at the Mako shafts. Anyone have any experience with these?http://www.makospearguns.com/Euro-Me...per-p/mnts.htm

I'm also looking for a threaded shaft for my RA 130. RA doesn't seem to make threaded shafts. Anyone find a good threaded shaft that is a direct fit for their RA? I'm a fan of notched spears.

Thanks
BigBass171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
RBainer

Re: What's the Deal with Replacement Spears

call greg at the freedive shop he will take care of you , and any euro shaft will fit up to 7.5mm
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Rob allen absolutley makes threaded spears. Ive even made a thread about them too
Old 02-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
popgun pete

JBL make euroshafts in 17-4 PH spring stainless steel, check shaft sizes out on their website.
http://www.jblspearguns.com/product-...s/spearshafts/
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
BigBass171

Found your thread, thanks. Didn't even realize that they made them. If only they had them in 7.5mm though...
BigBass171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
popgun pete

You could always ask them (JBL) about that size. If a manufacturer sees a sufficient demand then they will consider adding it to their product range. No demand, no product, and demand can only be assessed by people asking.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
RBainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
You could always ask them (JBL) about that size. If a manufacturer sees a sufficient demand then they will consider adding it to their product range. No demand, no product, and demand can only be assessed by people asking.
so many better shafts out there than jbl

Last edited by RBainer; 02-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Ron S

If you want a 7.5mm threaded shaft, Mako lists them on their website. They're low profile shark fins, and not notched, but that would be stronger.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBass171 View Post
Hey, does anyone know what the deal is with replacement spears? I've heard some say that any same diameter shaft will fit as a replacement, some say that only some manufacturers are interchangeable.

Here's what I'm looking for:

I need a new spear for my little Omer 65 (6.5mm spear). The stock Omer shaft seems to be pretty soft and I'd like an upgrade. I was looking at the Mako shafts. Anyone have any experience with these?http://www.makospearguns.com/Euro-Me...per-p/mnts.htm

I'm also looking for a threaded shaft for my RA 130. RA doesn't seem to make threaded shafts. Anyone find a good threaded shaft that is a direct fit for their RA? I'm a fan of notched spears.

Thanks
When it comes to 17-4 Stainless spearshafts there are great shafts, good shafts and complete junk.
The problem is there is a wide variety of 17-4 being sold, and most manufacturers send their shafts out to commercial ovens to harden their shafts where consistency is a major problem.
Because of these things, you end up with shafts that have weak spots, they are not straight, they are twisted, they are too hard(brittle) or they are too soft.
Wide variations from batch to batch can/does occur from the same manufacturer if these things are not tightly controlled.

If you want a spearshaft that starts out straight and will stay straight much longer, find a dealer who sells Spearcrafters shafts. You will notice the difference almost immediately when you start hitting the same spot consistently and keep hitting the same spot consistently long after other shafts become inaccurate.

I can't speak to the quality/consistency of the south african shafts as they are still relatively new to the market and I have not had the chance to examine very many other than on the boats I have been diving on.
They are certainly cheaper but they obviously need much more maintenance and will quickly turn to rusty scrap if not well maintained from what I have seen...

redtidespearfishing.com carries spearcrafters shafts by the way.

Last edited by RichT; 02-20-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: edit to add dealer
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote