Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 TBSC Winter Invitational - April 8-10, 2011

2011 TBSC Winter Invitational - April 8-10, 2011 Here is the place for information on this Florida west coast tourney

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Shoot2Thrill

2011 TBSC Challenge: New East Coast Captain's Meeting!!

The 2011 Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge is off to our best prize table ever, which is especially exciting as every shooter has an equal shot at the completely random drawing prize table.

Now we have a chance to add a little East Coast vs. West Coast bragging rights!

We are proud to announce our first East Coast Captain's Meeting! We will hold the East coast Captain's meeting Friday 8pm April 8th at Vortex, a new spearfishing shop opening this month in Coconut Grove and a platinum sponsor this year! The address is 2807 SW 27th Ave, Miami, FL, 33133 (off Dixie Highway (US 1). The shop is centrally located for teams hunting East coast or Keys.

Remember, if all of your team completes pre-registrations / waivers, and entry fees are received by April 1st, we only require one mandatory representative of your team report to the mandatory captain's meeting 8pm Friday night April 8th. Hunt Saturday April 9 sunrise to sunset anywhere in Florida and show up Sunday April 10 in the weigh-in line no later than noon and chill in Tampa with us and the Winghouse girls!

This is an official FSDA event, so $20 of your entry fee will also cover FSDA dues for the State Freedive spearfishing Championship April 15, the new Florida Freeshafters tourney in May, the Southern Open State Scuba Championship in June and the Fall Freedive Classic. Pregistered shooters also receive a free shooter shirt. The quality of the artwork and printing on our shirts is second to none.

So the question remains: Which coast has the top shooters? who has the biggest fish? Let the smack talk commence...we will see what shows up at the scales on April 10th!

TBSC_WinterInvTourneyRules_Waiver2011.pdf
Shoot2Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Itchy Trigger
Slagin' Steel

Re: 2011 TBSC Challenge: New East Coast Captain's Meeting!!

Not much of a east vs west when the west can gain a 50pt advantage... Can we eliminate grouper from the agg score to make it even? I dont want to drive that far for the weigh in ifwe have NO SHOT at best boat... just a thought
Itchy Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

We decided to try an East coast/Keys captain's meeting this year out of convenience to several Keys/East coast hunters who expressed interest in shooting this year and hunters from West Coast wanting to hunt your side due to the 3 day format.

We are open to East Coast suggestions to make this work for everyone, but the majority of changes would probably be more looking at next year. That being said, we will make a last minute rule change, announced at the captain's meeting to keep shooters honest, that usually ends up a game changer.

I 100% agree that each geographic strategy will present some handicap. East Coast/Keys is 2 grouper. West Coast is 2 bonus lionfish, 3 snapper and size of sheep/trigger. By the way only 1 cuda/cobia was weighed from Gulf in TBSC Challenge last year!

I am running East Coast capt meeting and I personally plan to hunt Atlantic/Keys. I think the short run to deep water and big fish is a big difference. A Gulf guy can go 80 miles for biggest carbo or a cubera but he is hurting his aggregate. An East coast/Keys could go biggest fish trophy (cobia/cuda, snapper, trigger/sheep) and still have time to pursue aggregate.

Either way, the prize table is exceptional this year and every shooter's pick is determined by random draw.You can finish dead last, but when your ticket is drawn you have the same shot as the professional and commercial guys.

Last edited by wvandeman; 03-20-2011 at 02:00 AM.
wvandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Itchy Trigger
Slagin' Steel

uummm we have big snapper,cubera, lionfish, sheepies and triggers here. It seems like a waste of time for any eastcoaster because we are losing 50 pts! Not much of an east/west challenge. If the Rule announcement is a "game changer" maybe more people would participate if they knew the rule? The random prizes are nice but for the serious hunter the trophy is what its all about. You guys are losing alot of the top shooters from the east. Isnt there anything you can do to atleast make the playing field level? Why wasnt this thought of before?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

I appreciate the feedback and see your point. You have to realize we added this East Coast/Keys captain's meeting after the rules had been set and posted this year. We just thought it would be fun to let some outside shooters participate due to increased interest in our little "no pressure" Gulf tournament and a sick prize table. We are not the St Pete Open or Spearboard Open, and not trying to be and that is what makes us different. This tournament is reallly all about fun, raising some money for the FRA, and giving new shooters and experienced shooters an equal shot at the same top prizes at an epic prize table.

Still, if some of you guys feel you can't win without grouper and want a challenge, then come over here and hunt the Gulf coast Saturday and hang out with us Sunday! PM me and I will try to pair you up with an open spot on a couple boats or at least set you up with a good charter over here. Alot of them are booked or hunting this personally but a couple are still available.

Last edited by wvandeman; 03-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
wvandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Itchy Trigger
Slagin' Steel

thanks I think we will just wait til the SB open to make sure the field is even. Like I said the prizes are irrelivent (sp?) its the trophies we want and we would love to compete against the west but not where they have a poss 50pt advantage.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Itchy Trigger
Slagin' Steel

Thanks anyway. I think ill stick with tourney that allow the same types of fish from both coasts. When TOny was faced with this he eliminated the fish fro the agg or the tourney all together. Just makes sense. But I think the majority of the top dawgs wont be there so ill wait til the SB tourneys. Thanks