Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Spearboard bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
I just had an opportunity to smoke real Cuban cigars bought in Cuba at their cigar factory. Completely wasted on me. I don't get it. I'd rather smoke my $1.82 for 3 1882's than a $70 cigar personally. I still inhale a bit and the big ass stogies aren't smooth enough to do that with.
I like Swisher Sweets after I've had a few. I had Cuban while in Windsor one time that was absolutely horrible. I'm certain there are more than one flavor of Cuban. I threw that one out after only 1/4th done. I recently had a fresh Cuban that I got from source that builds Humidors and has access to Cuba. It was SMOOTH. It was big and fat...I finished the whole thing. It had no nasty aftertaste. I do inhale often.
I do love a good lightly dirty vodka martini with Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
dr.ed

Bullet Rye & Bourbon; both on rocks. Cruzan SingleBarrel Estate Rum.

Last edited by dr.ed; 05-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I like Swisher Sweets after I've had a few. I had Cuban while in Windsor one time that was absolutely horrible. I'm certain there are more than one flavor of Cuban. I threw that one out after only 1/4th done. I recently had a fresh Cuban that I got from source that builds Humidors and has access to Cuba. It was SMOOTH. It was big and fat...I finished the whole thing. It had no nasty aftertaste. I do inhale often.
Yea, I forgot to mention the blue cheese olives, a must. That's a good frigging drink right there.

The cigars my buddy had, and the one I tried of his "stash" was rolled that day in Cuba when he bought it. You can buy them from the guys who actually roll them for a job. They're allowed 5 cigars a day to take with them and they routinely sell them outside the factory for a couple of bucks a smoke. The cigar I tried was rated one of the top ten in the world, but it was, like you said, too big a smoke.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
OBLIGATED

Quote:
My wifes uncle visited us from Cuba.I told him before he left to grab me a bunch of cigars.My wife told him not to because he could get in trouble.He pulled me outside and handed me a bag of 25 assorted cigarsThey were OK but there are cigars with cuban seed that are better.A humidor is a must and keeping them at the right moisture and temp is key.Sometimes even high end cigars have a dud in the box.
I love dirty Martinis with the garlic stuffed olives.Unfortunately Im trying to lose another 10lbs so Im drinking either a beer or a shot per week unless I workout more.Havent had a chocolate bar in 2 weeks.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #20
OBLIGATED

Orange Creamsicle

Pinnacle Vodka in Whipcream flavor.
Orange soda(dont go cheap)

Pour a few ounces of the vodka over crushed ice and add soda on top with whipped cream.Tastes just like a Orange Creamsicle.

Its hard to taste the booze in this drink and on a hot day they go down quicker than one of Bill Clintons assistants so you have been warned.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
Marcus

Damn, Tim...you are making me think favorably of you.

There's zero reason for denying one's self some good dark chocolate along with a good spirit to accompany it along with a good cigar, IMO. It is one of the finer legal vices in life.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 05-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #22
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Yea, I forgot to mention the blue cheese olives, a must. That's a good frigging drink right there.

The cigars my buddy had, and the one I tried of his "stash" was rolled that day in Cuba when he bought it. You can buy them from the guys who actually roll them for a job. They're allowed 5 cigars a day to take with them and they routinely sell them outside the factory for a couple of bucks a smoke. The cigar I tried was rated one of the top ten in the world, but it was, like you said, too big a smoke.
You cant rush a cigar.If you try burning a 40 minute cigar in 20 you are going to be dizzy high and possibly get sick.You wont get to taste the flavor as it changes through the burn.Hand rolled cigars need time to enjoy.When I can get on the lake or river without having to tie on lures or flies for kids I break one out and kick back.Otherwise I wont light up.They are a treat for me.I probably MIGHT smoke 10 in a year unless I get around my Marine buddies then we get stupid
Old 05-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #23
OBLIGATED

Quote:
There's zero reason for denying one's self some good dark chocolate along with a good spirit to accompany it along with a good cigar, IMO. It is one of the finer legal vices in life.
I agree but when you get older it takes a lot of exercise to burn it off.I want to be at 215-220 #at 6'2"thats what I weighed when I was 30.Ten more pounds will take stress off the knees and back.I have never had to diet because I was always running or swimming.Now that the knees and back have revolted I can watch what I eat or get fat.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #24
Marcus

Dark chocolate in moderation won't make you fat. I've been 6'3" 235 for decades. Moderation and healthy eating is key.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Dark chocolate in moderation won't make you fat. I've been 6'3" 235 for decades. Moderation and healthy eating is key.
Ive been around 225-230 for a while.Doc said if I lose weight it would help on the knees.I like beef.Now Im doing smaller portions and more vegetables.I started adding chicken and as much sushi as my wife is willing to roll.I havent had a soda or sweet tea in over a year and dont miss them except for rootbeer floats.My metabolism slowed waay down at 50 so if I want to stay in 34 waist Wranglers Im going to have to change some things.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #26
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
You cant rush a cigar.If you try burning a 40 minute cigar in 20 you are going to be dizzy high and possibly get sick.You wont get to taste the flavor as it changes through the burn.Hand rolled cigars need time to enjoy.When I can get on the lake or river without having to tie on lures or flies for kids I break one out and kick back.Otherwise I wont light up.They are a treat for me.I probably MIGHT smoke 10 in a year unless I get around my Marine buddies then we get stupid
That's pretty much what my friend said; I have to give it time. But crap, I wasn't inhaling anything that tasted like it had a path to getting good. I have it back to him and he smoked it. I kept "tasting" every now and then, but, like I said, I'm a slut; drinks with umbrellas and a cheap cigar and I'm a happy guy.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
OBLIGATED

Quote:
That's pretty much what my friend said; I have to give it time. But crap, I wasn't inhaling anything that tasted like it had a path to getting good. I have it back to him and he smoked it. I kept "tasting" every now and then, but, like I said, I'm a slut; drinks with umbrellas and a cheap cigar and I'm a happy guy.
I started by buying sampler packs.Once you find the taste you like you can stock up.Ive tried some cigars that people raved about and they tasted nasty to me.I like the Maduros with a medium to heavy body but I go slow and enjoy it.La Perlas and Rocky Patel are my favorites.Cuban style cigars are typically milder with a light colored wrap and a hint of vanilla.My maduros usually have notes of leather,dark chocolate and earth with full bodied smoke so they can be overwhelming.Woman I know was visiting my BIL in florida and was drinking with us and decided she wanted to try my cigar.That lasted about 5 minutes and she went to lay down
Old 05-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #28
dr.ed

I've never been a tobacco addict; smoked two cigarettes during childhood; smoked a pipe for week as a Frosh; Frosh & Soph consumed 6 Rum River Crooks; @44 did a "small" chawl; tobacco free ever since. I have been invited to smoke a cigar several times in the last decade; alwas declined. Maybe i ought to give it s try.

Btw of course i swallowed the chawl drinking beer.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ed View Post
I've never been a tobacco addict; smoked two cigarettes during childhood; smoked a pipe for week as a Frosh; Frosh & Soph consumed 6 Rum River Crooks; @44 did a "small" chawl; tobacco free ever since. I have been invited to smoke a cigar several times in the last decade; alwas declined. Maybe i ought to give it s try.

Btw of course i swallowed the chawl drinking beer.
I tried two cigarettes and turned green half way through both.I tried chew but that spitting is just nasty. I have a pipe which is nice if you dont mind re-lighting.Its a lot cheaper than cigars by a long shot.I seem to lose them like sunglasses though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nr10.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	226152  
Old 05-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
OBLIGATED

Amaretto and Coffee

I use Lazzaroni Amaretto and prefer Dunkin Donuts kuerig cups.

You need a mug,small saucer,cinnamon sugar,whipped cream,Amaretto (1-2 shots or more)and your preferred coffee.

Put cinnamon sugar on saucer,wet lip of mug with Amaretto and rub into sugar
pour in shots and add coffee.Top with whipped cream and more cinnamon sugar.I added salty caramel syrup on top of mineSo much for my diet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amaretto.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	226153