Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Behslayer

Re: the canyons

This thread is about Spearfishing in the Canyons. You got anything to add besides your opinion? Any advice? Any experience? Or are you just here to bash people? I'll praise Pete again here because unlike you, he helped to pioneer some of the best diving we have seen anywhere, right here in our backyard. And don't tell me about how easy it is... There's probably 100+ guys on here who have learned how to hunt Yellowfin and Wahoo directly from Pete. He's been a good friend to me and many many many others.

If you want to stop bashing my friends from your grumpy shadow of anonymity, we can get back to diving.

Here's pic of Diving in the Canyons. The first Big Eye Tuna ever speared out there or to my knowledge anywhere on the East Coast. Pete got that one and a few others that day several years ago. Not bad for a hack.

If anyone on here is interested in learning more about Pete Correales' guided Spearfishing adventures in Panama, Puerto Rico, Ascension Island, Mexico, New York, and other destinations have a look at his website www.worldwidespearfishing.com One other thing about Pete is that he has always been a photographer and videographer. Most of the pics I see him posting are not of himself, but pics he took of other divers to capture the experience. He and Anthony Dooley just had an exhibit of their Spearfishing related photos and premiered a video on Long Island Spearfishing 4 days ago in Rockaway Beach, NY.

I could go on and on. How about an apology?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13467828_10154138204562184_1755547507_o.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	227545   Click image for larger version

Name:	13570275_10210042676171516_1480761027_o.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	227547   Click image for larger version

Name:	11011674_743302785778528_5013491095015379104_o copy.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	227548   Click image for larger version

Name:	11975407_10156112002465294_1677855948_o.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	227549  

Last edited by Behslayer; 07-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
mrw
My wurst is my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
This dude is always butthurt. He must not hunt or fish or do anything else. Its nothing new. Not just spearfishn.
This about says it all. And it's obviously nothing new.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
Dmill

An apology. Yea ok. Other than the fact he got caught with 70 bass( which I'm sure he did it multiple other times as game wardens usually don't just stumble on a seize like that out of nowhere.) Other than that I'm sure he's great. So sorry for doing a quick Google search and not praising your boy.
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #19
Behslayer

I'd like to do a Google search on Dmill and see what I can dig up. Think he ever did anything wrong in his twenties which we can judge him on for the next 30 years? I hope one day they do change that law. It's unlikely as there is always going to be that one Turd who says "Well if it's not within the Slot Limit and it has a hole in it you can't put it back" but the fact is that the other accepted forms of harvest, gillnet, dragger net, fishtrap, have terrible bycatch mortality. Even the Commercial Rod and Reel has higher mortality if you consider the percent of fish which die after release, and the amount of fish caught which don't fit in the slot. I have not dove much out in that area, but every time I have been out I've seen multiple dead fish on the bottom which did not survive the catch and release. Same Bullshit with Mass Bass being closed to Spearfishing. Anyways it's a dead horse. Dmill, if you don't have anything positive to add to this thread why don't you beat it so the rest of us can get back on topic?

Back to the Canyons.. Damn!!! 183lb Wahoo swimming in our waters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13669077_10210101660886846_2876096847797765716_n.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	227588   Click image for larger version

Name:	13718696_10210101659846820_3256867852282489873_n.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	227589  
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
oldirty

Jon, read the OTW article and thought it was awsome, would love to get out there sometime. How often do you make it out there? Always on charter?

Seems overwhelming going out there and hopping in when compared to what were used to inshore in ri.

Any tips (primarily saftey) for those of us that are motivated by this and want to give it a go? I'm sure the OTW article and possibly this thread might create some bluewater novices in here southern NE, I know its lit a fire under my ass to get out there.
oldirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
Behslayer

Hi, I always go as part of a fishing trip. The diving is not always possible or good. It can be rough, the water can be unclear and if it's not clear, it's just not a great idea to dive out there because there are sharks, and it's tougher to keep eyes on each other. But if the opportunity is there and the conditions look right I'll get in. A few trips last year I didn't get in the water. I didn't write the article. It was a phone interview. If I had written the article I would have stressed repeatedly that this is very advanced diving and spearfishing. It's dangerous. Big fish and predators. Shit can go sideways in an instant in so many ways. Big advice. Stay with the boat. Don't dive when it's too rough. Don't dive when it's not Clear. Always have a Sharp knife and try cutting with it. Roll up a Carter Float and carry it with you as a back up signalling device. Flares are not a terrible idea. Understand that these fish can drag you down to 100' in a few seconds. It is so important to maintain your lines so you do not get tangled. Don't shoot fish around Oceanic White Tips, Tigers, or Makos. I'm not a huge fan of Flasher Tape on Fins. Treat Marlin like Sharks. Don't shoot fish around big Marlins. Watch out for other boats. They are not used to seeing divers out there and sometimes it can be crowded if there is "Fleet" In that case I dive right under the boat. Bring a Dive Flag. Dive as a Team. If one guy hooks up, everyone else should stop and support him/her. It's cool to have Multiple hook ups rod and reel fishing, but when diving, it just invites confusion and accidents. The water can be Clear. A lot of guys will not be used to this. Practice safe buddy diving.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
iliwau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Hi, I always go as part of a fishing trip. The diving is not always possible or good. It can be rough, the water can be unclear and if it's not clear, it's just not a great idea to dive out there because there are sharks, and it's tougher to keep eyes on each other. But if the opportunity is there and the conditions look right I'll get in. A few trips last year I didn't get in the water. I didn't write the article. It was a phone interview. If I had written the article I would have stressed repeatedly that this is very advanced diving and spearfishing. It's dangerous. Big fish and predators. Shit can go sideways in an instant in so many ways. Big advice. Stay with the boat. Don't dive when it's too rough. Don't dive when it's not Clear. Always have a Sharp knife and try cutting with it. Roll up a Carter Float and carry it with you as a back up signalling device. Flares are not a terrible idea. Understand that these fish can drag you down to 100' in a few seconds. It is so important to maintain your lines so you do not get tangled. Don't shoot fish around Oceanic White Tips, Tigers, or Makos. I'm not a huge fan of Flasher Tape on Fins. Treat Marlin like Sharks. Don't shoot fish around big Marlins. Watch out for other boats. They are not used to seeing divers out there and sometimes it can be crowded if there is "Fleet" In that case I dive right under the boat. Bring a Dive Flag. Dive as a Team. If one guy hooks up, everyone else should stop and support him/her. It's cool to have Multiple hook ups rod and reel fishing, but when diving, it just invites confusion and accidents. The water can be Clear. A lot of guys will not be used to this. Practice safe buddy diving.
Well said Jon!

Safety is always paramount and I am glad that you're stressing it. Charters are hard, and everyone has to make a decent living. It's great to hear that you guys have YFT and Wahoo out here, it makes these East Coast winters that much more bearable

Hope to dive with you soon!
iliwau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
rambofishsniper
Puerto Rico

Am definitely motivated by this otw mag. As for Peter no one can build an empire with out breaking some eggs... he obviously took care of his problems cus his business is here in the USA.. If I get the chance to go I will take it... but not till am fully ready meaning floats and lines extra everything..... being a shore/kayak diver my biggest fish is a bass.. I don't know the gear needed for the big blue. Jon with ur experience what do uu recommend.. so I can start Xmas list lol
Old 07-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Kevin Sheets

The last perfect man was nailed to a cross. The rest of us don't have that to worry about. I like Pete and I can't imagine the diving he has done. The man is world class, he posts these pics so the rest of us can be inspired and enjoy the dream. While I don't agree with everything he does, few people would agree with mine either.
Dive your dive, let others dive theirs.
Kevin
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #25
knetter420

That might be true Kevin but you do the crime, you do the time. It would seem he's just ignoring the misdemeanor and staying the eff outta NY rather than deal with the warrant. The other crew members got a $500 fine and some community service,(except the captain as he was a repeat repeat offender) but they were all NY residents. If we're going to pretend to be upstanding members of society we need to at least police our own. So ya we absolutely can judge if he hasn't paid for the crime. Stop making excuses for something that can be easily remedied for less $ than a ticket to Panama.
knetter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #26
SHABUMI

Behslayer/Peter,

So, you guys are out in 1000+ feet dealing with real sharks, then you come back to shore to tell your story, and have to deal with virtual sharks attacking (from mom's basement). Yikes!

Last edited by SHABUMI; 07-21-2017 at 04:55 AM.
SHABUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #27
Behslayer

Yep. Landsharks..

Just returned from the Canyons. Lucked into this 175lb Bluefin Tuna on Spinning Gear which was an Epic Battle. That's Johnny Harrington from HECS Wetsuits in the photo. He got a sore back fighting that thing. I got the littlest tiniest scrape on my knee from that fish and woke up this morning with 104 fever, and a Red line going from my knee to my groin which felt like it had Fire running through it. Went to the Doctor and he said I was lucky to come in immediately because things could have gone downhill quickly. They shot me full of crazy Antibiotics. Tuna Fever is Real...

The diving sucked balls. It was nice to be in 78 degree Bluewater but there wasn't even a 1" Mahi out there for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20108322_10212237641130212_7145716343782678098_n.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	234471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 7-20-17 at 4.21 PM #2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	234472