Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #2836
Tailfisher17t

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Ah, my arch-nemesis on my favorite ledge, Bullshaft. Wish I had my camera on when he attacked me. Honestly don't know if the shark shield would have stopped him from coming at me, though he didn't like the shaft I shoved up the roof of his mouth - LOL.

Unfortunately he's still there and still being an asshole. Very aggressive, that shark.
Whats the number? We need to go smoke that guy.
Tailfisher17t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #2837
heybuddies

Went out of Clearwater yesterday 4/18. Water was calm and a beautiful blue-green. Dove in 40 feet about 10 miles west of the pass. Water was very hazy. 5-10’ of viz on the top and 10-12 on the bottom.

Great weather to be on the boat but not the best diving conditions after this last front. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

Last edited by heybuddies; 04-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 AM   #2838
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybuddies View Post
Went out of Clearwater yesterday 4/18. Water was calm and a beautiful blue-green. Dove in 40 feet about 10 miles west of the pass. Water was very hazy. 5-10’ of viz on the top and 10-12 on the bottom.

Great wrathe to be on the boat but not the best diving conditions after this last front. Hopefully it will clear up soon.
At least your vis was a little better than ours out of Johns Pass in 70'.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #2839
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Any vis reports from today??
Thanks
C
Old 04-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #2840
Ethan L

4/22 off Anna Maria, made 3 dives between 45 and 60ft. Viz was about 25ft on each dive. Lots of hogs swimming around
Ethan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:44 AM   #2841
Russell stalk

Yesterday it of anclote we thought was going to be a great day for divin!! Turned out we were wrong.. seas were supposed to be 2' and it wasn't even close. We got a few miles out And here came the 2-3' seas. We turned around. And went back in. Couldn't dive anything in 20' or less. Viz was non existent. The water was too churned up. Oh well
At least the boat ran good.

On a side note... we heard the coast guard sent out two notices yesterday around 10am. A epirb beacon went off on a 40 vessel 45 miles out of stpete
And a 33 fountain went down 35 miles out of crystal river...
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #2842
Dbrown

Went out of Clearwater pass 4/28/18.

Braved the four foot seas out of the N. was rough. First stop in 36'. Picked up a nice Hog. Not as fishy as usual. Particulate in water. Saw one keeper gag. 73 degrees.

Moved SW to 48'. Crystal clear top to bottom. Likely best viz I've ever had here at that depth. I do mean Crystal. Was an incoming tide. Limited out on male hogs. Saw 2 big gags in the teens wt class. Bait around. Really nice Hog and viz reward for braving seas as well as to be back at it and out there with buddies.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #2843
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Went out of Clearwater pass 4/28/18.

Braved the four foot seas out of the N. was rough. First stop in 36'. Picked up a nice Hog. Not as fishy as usual. Particulate in water. Saw one keeper gag. 73 degrees.

Moved SW to 48'. Crystal clear top to bottom. Likely best viz I've ever had here at that depth. I do mean Crystal. Was an incoming tide. Limited out on male hogs. Saw 2 big gags in the teens wt class. Bait around. Really nice Hog and viz reward for braving seas as well as to be back at it and out there with buddies.
Thanks for the report. We cancelled.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #2844
steelcity
Big Brian

Vis the last few days has been great despite the seas. Sporty on Saturday. Today was swelly but nicer than Saturday.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #2845
Russell stalk

Today out of longboat, went to the 3 mile reef. Viz was about 8-10 feet, shootable for sure. Got a nice mangrove. Tons of 30+ inch snook! Had to push the jewfish around to get a shot at the snapper.. big 2' rollers all day. Wind picked up around 1pm so we came in early.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #2846
grey2112

25 miles west of NPR today. Heading out into the "2 foot seas, light chop" gave us 3-4s with an occasional 5 footer with about a 3 second period. We got DRENCHED but kept on going. Hit spots in 40-50 feet, viz was quite good - top to bottom at 50 feet as the day progressed. Temp was around 72. Shot some hogs, saw few shooter mangos or sherpa. LOTS of sharks on every spot, mostly nurse and sand bar. Saw no bulls.

TONS, TONS, TONS of gags - OMG, so many, and they would come up to us for a tickle. I saw some that were well over 32 inches. Insane.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2847
dkay

TTB Vis in 25-35’ off Anclote. Lots of hogfish and saw a few nice gags. Diving season has arrived!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #2848
Russell stalk

Out of anclote today. Top to bottom from 30-45' today! Gorgeous water!! We shot a lot of hogs and 3 mangs. We missed several kings. No Ajs . gags were thick as fleas on an old junk yard dog! Got rough out there today.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #2849
grey2112

Decided to head south today and launched out of Clearwater to hit some ledges that used to be amazing in 35-50 feet about 12 miles NW of CW. A little sporty heading out. We hit 5 different spots that had from 1 foot to 12 foot relief ledges, many of which used to be loaded with shooter fish.

Ended the day with a few modest mangos, 2 decent hogs, saw no AJ, no lionfish, few decent mangos, and some decent gags.

Saw a lot of algae/green growth/plants on these ledges. Wondering if the runoff from Pinellas county is, in concert with all the boats, headboats, spearing charters, etc. are depleting a lot of these spots.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #2850
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Decided to head south today and launched out of Clearwater to hit some ledges that used to be amazing in 35-50 feet about 12 miles NW of CW. A little sporty heading out. We hit 5 different spots that had from 1 foot to 12 foot relief ledges, many of which used to be loaded with shooter fish.

Ended the day with a few modest mangos, 2 decent hogs, saw no AJ, no lionfish, few decent mangos, and some decent gags.

Saw a lot of algae/green growth/plants on these ledges. Wondering if the runoff from Pinellas county is, in concert with all the boats, headboats, spearing charters, etc. are depleting a lot of these spots.
Welcome to 2018 with all the new bottom machine technology where you can pick out a shrimp walking on the bottom. I miss the Loran-C and Sitex paper machine days.