Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
sharpshooter

ARS 2018 Season

Looks like we have a 40 day "recreational" season in state and federal waters this year. June 11-July 21. The complete article is in www. myfwc.com under Recent News.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Diver Jim

Re: ARS 2018 Season

I just called the Gov's office 850-488-7146 . To tell them that 40 days in a row is not that great for the recreational guys. Since most of us work that gives us 5 weekends. As we know it could be too rough to get out on any of those weekends. Why not give us the 40 days by giving us 20 straight weekends starting in June? That seems more fair. Scott is running for Senator and I think if he realizes that this was not a great political move to alienate most of the Millions of people who fish out in the Gulf he mind think twice. He has to power to do so. Also how about the people who planned their trips on a June 1st opening. He should change the June 11 th dates as well. If we get get all of our fishing buddies to call this phone # I think Scott will get a clear strong message!
Diver Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Jim View Post
I just called the Gov's office 850-488-7146 . To tell them that 40 days in a row is not that great for the recreational guys. Since most of us work that gives us 5 weekends. As we know it could be too rough to get out on any of those weekends. Why not give us the 40 days by giving us 20 straight weekends starting in June? That seems more fair. Scott is running for Senator and I think if he realizes that this was not a great political move to alienate most of the Millions of people who fish out in the Gulf he mind think twice. He has to power to do so. Also how about the people who planned their trips on a June 1st opening. He should change the June 11 th dates as well. If we get get all of our fishing buddies to call this phone # I think Scott will get a clear strong message!
I feel your pain. What you point out makes sense. But, when has any state or federal government agency done sensible things. I suffered many years on those flat calm 1 or 2 weekdays while at work. Only, to have it blowing Friday thru the weekend. I counted down the years and months to my retirement. Now, I can go anytime. Love week days without all the boat traffic. Boats seeing the dive flag and coming over to snoop around. Some of my friends still work and can only go on weekends that I dive with. The good thing is if I dive a weekday. They get the fish and visual report to plan for Saturday. Guess, you'll have to take a personal mental "spearing" day during the week every so often till you can retire. That's what i did when I couldn't stand it anymore. Wish you the best in getting the season changed. June 1st is a Friday. I bet lots of people put in for that day off.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Diver Jim

Weekends are the only fair solution for the Recreational guys, but I guess we would fish out the already endangered Red Snappers. How many days to the commercial guys get?
Diver Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Not a fan of weekend seasons at all. It concentrates the pressure in such a way that it sucks for everyone. I am a recreational guy, and I never fish on weekends. Too many people. You take the weekends, I'll take the weekdays.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
shootin-blanks

That's sure alot better than 4 days.. And we never go on the weekends, it's a zoo in the gulf on those days.
shootin-blanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Jim View Post
Weekends are the only fair solution for the Recreational guys, but I guess we would fish out the already endangered Red Snappers. How many days to the commercial guys get?
I'm not an expert. But, here goes. If I'm wrong. It won't take long for me to be corrected on this active web site by the "arm chair police".
I believe that the commercial guys go by IFQ. Individual Fishing Quota limiting them by total pounds "their" quota allows them. One guy might have 1000 pounds and another might have 2500 pounds, etc. of a certain fish species. I know you don't like the 40 straight day recreational limit. There's no way that they will change it to 20 weekends due to that causing increased fishing pressure. If you do some research. Each of the 5 gulf states are allowed a certain amount of total pounds quota. Your 20 weekends idea would probably trimmed down to 10 or less weekends for ARS. Also, the season can be closed earlier if the powers to be think the quota is reached and or exceeded too early. For example, last year Amberjack got shut down real early. If you go over the quota. Next years total amount will or can be reduced by the overage. If we have several bad storms during a open season. The season can be extended or opened again at a later date during the present year. A good place for information is www.myfwc.com
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
malibujohn

Or, you can head on down to P.V., have a margarita and shoot em year round! I'll be here!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	237768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	237769
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootin-blanks View Post
That's sure alot better than 4 days.. And we never go on the weekends, it's a zoo in the gulf on those days.
Forgot to mention in my latest Out of JP post about the "snoopy" boat. A boat passing by veered off course and stopped after spotting my Divers Down flag. They stayed a safe distance away. Put out a trolling rod and trolled south of me and then north of me. Am sure they hit the GPS straight south of my stern and straight north of my bow. Then, they took off again Next time that boat is out. They'll just start on the south number and head to the north number. The reef will be in between.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
Or, you can head on down to P.V., have a margarita and shoot em year round! I'll be here!! Attachment 237768Attachment 237769
Some quality Reds there.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Forgot to mention in my latest Out of JP post about the "snoopy" boat. A boat passing by veered off course and stopped after spotting my Divers Down flag. They stayed a safe distance away. Put out a trolling rod and trolled south of me and then north of me. Am sure they hit the GPS straight south of my stern and straight north of my bow. Then, they took off again Next time that boat is out. They'll just start on the south number and head to the north number. The reef will be in between.
It is unfortunate that these days with GPS and radar, no number is safe. More incentive to have lots of them in your book, take notes, trade for some occasionally, and try to get out during the week.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote