Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
snapper1

Farthest Shooting Gun

What is the farthest shooting gun that is 60 inches or less? I currently shoot a riffe 130 euro. I like it but I think there might be options to get longer shots with a different gun.

I hunt the reef and some blue water. I see many fish that are just out of my reach a few extra feet of range would be great!
snapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Re: Farthest Shooting Gun

6x20mm band roller gun using a 5mm shaft

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~ A much heavier gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ulusub125.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	216667  
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
jstiver09

Abellan denton 130. PM greekdiver here on spearboard. He has one available I believe. You won't find a further shooting gun that is perfect for the reef.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

I know a buddy that shoots that gun almost exclusively. He regularly takes fish in the 100lb range. Its not about the gun but, your own abilities.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I know a buddy that shoots that gun almost exclusively. He regularly takes fish in the 100lb range. Its not about the gun but, your own abilities.
I don't understand when I hear this argument...I mean I get it but what does that have to do with wanting a gun that shoots a spear further? Are you saying that just because guys take tuna with a pole spear that we should all put away the cannons and dedicate our time developing our abilities and only use a pole spear? I am sure someone has a buddy who shoots wahoo with a 100 cm railgun...so is it wrong to buy anything longer. My above example of a 130 Denton vs 130 Riffe...the Denton is shorter and will have literally 5-10 ft more of effective range. In reading your recent posts it seems you are more interested in making people feel dumb than actually helping answer their questions...rant over!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
I don't understand when I hear this argument...I mean I get it but what does that have to do with wanting a gun that shoots a spear further? Are you saying that just because guys take tuna with a pole spear that we should all put away the cannons and dedicate our time developing our abilities and only use a pole spear? I am sure someone has a buddy who shoots wahoo with a 100 cm railgun...so is it wrong to buy anything longer. My above example of a 130 Denton vs 130 Riffe...the Denton is shorter and will have literally 5-10 ft more of effective range. In reading your recent posts it seems you are more interested in making people feel dumb than actually helping answer their questions...rant over!
I dont understand where I made any "dumb" remarks? I'm stating a fact. He's taken big dogtooth tuna on the gun with regularity. In power and fighting abilities, the doggie could arguably be the king of the ocean.

There are no quick fixes to his ageold problem of wanting just a little more range. First no matter what, there will be a significant loss of power and accuracy at range which lessens a persons chance of landing and increases the chance of injuring a fish.

A 130 gun properly configured for the prey at hand can take just about any fish sans maybe 200lb YFT or such.

Learn your prey and hone your stalking and hunting skills. That's the real solution.

Are my suggestions and statements really that "dumb?"
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
jstiver09

Quote:
I dont understand where I made any "dumb" remarks? I'm stating a fact. He's taken big dogtooth tuna on the gun with regularity. In power and fighting abilities, the doggie could arguably be the king of the ocean.

There are no quick fixes to his ageold problem of wanting just a little more range. First no matter what, there will be a significant loss of power and accuracy at range which lessens a persons chance of landing and increases the chance of injuring a fish.

A 130 gun properly configured for the prey at hand can take just about any fish sans maybe 200lb YFT or such.

Learn your prey and hone your stalking and hunting skills. That's the real solution.

Are my suggestions and statements really that "dumb?"
Nevermind. You missed my point. I will try again.

-Improving your skills is an obvious way to get more fish. You could use the same argument about carbon fiber fins and other equipment. But the OP asked a specific Q about a gun and your reply wasn't very useful unless you were offering to teach him how to hone his technique and hunting style.

-not all 130 guns are created equal.

-I didn't say your comments were dumb but rather the basis of your comments seem aimed toward making people feel dumb.

-OP, PM greekdiver. He is very knowledgeable and will not sell you a gun unless he thinks it is a good fit for you.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Brandon Whalers and crew takes down big fish all over the Pacific rim with Riffe euro 130's. Are you calling them or other people dumb for their choice of guns?

The OPs question and statements are extremely vague. Doent say where or what he hunts. Doesnt say what his skill level or age is. For all we know he could be a 16yo kid, probably not but who know from his post?

He has a good gun now that when set up properly, can take most any fish in the world. That's my point, which is what it has been from the beginning.

Recommending a Denton to a person who you know nothing about is doing nothing but trying to sell a gun based on your own preferences. That seems to be your point.

I dont own a Riffe but, I can recognize good divers and good equipment.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #10
spearq8

The Riffe 130 is a good gun but extremely thin, I actually feel that the 120 is better balanced for that gun. Due to the small amount of wood used it is very light and probably should not be setup with more than 2 bands. The 130 Riffe comes from factory with a 170cm @ 7.1mm shaft ... you really can't push that shaft very hard before it whips and to get good results you need to change the shaft. I would put a minimum of 7.5mm @ 160cm shaft, this will also reduce the overhang which will push your shots a little higher (The Riffe Euros tend to be low shooters). I did try the 160cm @ 7.1mm shaft but it can whip with even 2 x 16mm bands on 120 band stretch. I wouldn't power it up with anything more than 2 x 16mm bands. On the plus side, the gun does have 130cm of band stretch and 2 x 16mm bands at 130cm of band stretch have plenty of power to land almost any fish but with a 7.5mm shaft you probably need to use a slip tip for the larger fish. Problem is that with slip tips accuracy at long range is a big problem ... I am currently working on trying to fix that!

By the way the Denton 130 is just a different class of gun ... it is much heavier and can be setup with much more power. The Riffe 130 is similar in power to a Denton 120, but much larger footprint. And yes I do have both guns in several configurations and have tested them quite a bit.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #11
jstiver09

Quote:
Brandon Whalers and crew takes down big fish all over the Pacific rim with Riffe euro 130's. Are you calling them or other people dumb for their choice of guns?

The OPs question and statements are extremely vague. Doent say where or what he hunts. Doesnt say what his skill level or age is. For all we know he could be a 16yo kid, probably not but who know from his post?

He has a good gun now that when set up properly, can take most any fish in the world. That's my point, which is what it has been from the beginning.

Recommending a Denton to a person who you know nothing about is doing nothing but trying to sell a gun based on your own preferences. That seems to be your point.

I dont own a Riffe but, I can recognize good divers and good equipment.
Lol. I didn't call anyone dumb....but I am starting to wonder...

Those guys are sponsored by Riffe. Would they use Riffe if they weren't? And once again you are proving a point that I wasn't arguing...that with good skill you can take world class fish with anything. But if you have the choice why not choose the Ferrari? Riffe isn't a bad gun...but isn't a high performer when compared to what else is out there. I have owned Riffe euros, Denton, Oceanborn, Aimrite, plus many more (I am a gear and gun whore because I can't help it) and the Riffe was thin and maneuverable much like a railgun...but also performed like one. BTW Spearq8 has many of his videos online for you to view. The Denton 130 comes in two options, the heavier beast that Spearq8 has or the thinner "reef" that a couple of my buddies have. Even the thinner Denton 130 is probably 2.5-3x heavier than a Riffe but is tapers nicely and tracks side to side well. The larger can probably launch an 11/32" shaft whereas the reef may be limited to a 5/16" but don't quote me on that.

I am an average diver at best with not much over 1:30-1:45 second dive time...which means that when doing 80-90' dives I don't have a ton of bottom time. I wish I was as talented as some of those guys you mentioned but.....I am not. In the meantime I guess I prefer to use a gun that can punch through a big fish at 18'.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

If we only knew more of the story we could quit armchair quarterbacking this.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

It is all about the gun.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

You guys are funny.
Last time i checked it was not the gun that shoots further but the combination of bands and shaft. The gun is just the platform. Same bands length and same shaft on two guns that are of same length the furthest one will be the one with least resistance. It is called physics or for some people math.
The other day a guy came to my shop with the Riffe euro with 3 bands. I personally was in disbelief that the specific gun even shot straight with 3 bands since the stock is very small and the gun seemed to be overpowered. Then he started showing me pictures of fish taken with specific gun and enforcing his opinion by stating that the gun did not have a significant kick and he has been using that same setup for the past 3 years.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Gun mass of course is of huge importance but then you have to think of maneuverability and all around performance.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote