Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Mano: My Aumakua or Jus One Toothy Taxman?

Mano:My aumakua, or Jus' One Toothy Taxman?

I apologize in advance, but I'm in San Diego on a layover, looking out on the pacific toward home, reminiscing about my own experiences with the Mano, the "toothy taxman." The recent news of Mark's encounter with a GWS over Kona side has prompted a lot of talk, speculation, and recollections of encounters many of us have experienced ourselves, or have heard about from others we know. Like most of you, the majority of my dives include one or more inquisitive Mano, or a hungry hunter trying to
benefit from my efforts of killing fish. Most of the time I go about my business slinging steel while keeping a careful and cautious eye on the shark's behavior. When we consistently see certain patterns of behavior we begin to assume we know all there is to know. But just like some of my friends' wives, every once and a while they totally break all patterns of logic and go aggro, displaying behavior we've never witnessed or expected. I have two experiences that have me scratching my head, still trying to figure out the "why". To explain my thoughts on the Mano, I want to give some background on my development as a spearo...thus the apology. Skip it if you like. But before you feel like criticizing my theories or thoughts, you might want to read it...otherwise skip it.

The great thing about being an airline captain is that it affords world wide travel and time off to indulge in my passion: spearfishing with my sons and friends, and sometimes, alone. While my home watahs always stay windward BI from first shallow reef-t'ree prong-Hana Buttah Days, poking manini and weke along Keaukaha's protected pools from Richardson's, For Miles (Fish Ponds), Onekahakaha, and "Private Beach " (only my Ohana and close friends call it that) , i have had the opportunity to spear in waters all over the world, so its no wonder that two of the strangest encounters I've had took place in Florida's waters 25- 30 nm west of Cedar Key, and not at home on BI. So before I relate these two events here is the background on me and my relationship with da Mano. Again, my apologies.

Spring break back on BI always took us ovah Kona side for sunny week of camping at Spencer Beach Park and diving Kawaihae from Pu'ukohola Heiau to D'On's Beach (named aftah my wahine, again only my Ohana and good friends know this "secret" fertile cove). It was a tradition to hit the cove at the Heiau aftah dinner and wade into its shallow waters and feed the juvenile pups of Mano kihikihi, hammerhead pups, since this was a breeding ground for the hammerheads. Jumping off the moorings in Kawaihae harbor was also alot of fun but tense at the same time knowing that the bigger manos patrolled the deeper waters. We always swam the distance fast and anxious...climbing out with chicken skin, but relieved to have made the swim out to the moorings, successfully climbed the rusty hand holds, jumped and "suicide dove" into the deep and refreshing watah, and made the swim back to the abandoned dock! CHEEHO! All good fun.

Several people I've met over the years harvest the white tip reef shark for food.During the day they "chillax" under ledges and in holes, making them an easy target. I remember when I started diving deeper and using guns instead of slings I would hit Ke Kahakai Beach (the old state beach north of Keahole Airport), still one of my favorite places to dive, swimming out to the lane. On one dive, before swimming out past the reef, i came across a resting adult white tip under a ledge where i was checking for one uhu i saw swim under. Thinking about the juicy steaks I've tasted in the past, I breathed up, dropped back down and pulled the trigger, sticking em right through the gill slits. He erupted out from under the ledge and tried to shake the shaft out thrashing and swimming in tight circles. As I watched this mano in distress all of a sudden I began to feel extreme remorse. It was the weirdest thing. I've never felt bad about putting an end to life to my food. Was it the stories by good aunties and uncles about the mano being aumakua of many Hawaiians? Was it My hanai brother's full blooded Hawaiian reverence for this mythical hunter? What evah it wuz, it hit me hard...you all know, like when you violate the inner code of ethics you live by. While watching this Mano in distress I realized that if I could get the shaft out he would be ok since he didn't seem to be mortally wounded. I saw that he would not be able to bend toward his tail to bite me because of the shaft sticking through his body. So I disconnected my shooting line from my reel line's pigtail swivel, eventually grabbing the white tip by the tail, and while pulling him backwards thru the water I grabbed the barbed end of the shaft and pulled as fast as I could while letting go of the tail. The mano took off as soon as he felt the shaft pull out, and I watched as my shooting line slid through his body and fell free of tension. *The mano takes off for deeper water and I realize I'm done...cooked...pau hana...heart rate through the roof. But I felt liberated for what I did. Karma? Pay it forward?

Years later my Florida dive crew and I were out in 70-80' of mostly clear Gulf water, diving a spot called White City Bridge. Always get plenty fish!...and bull sharks too. *The vis is about 50', not the top to bottom vis we like when hitting White City. We have two dive pairs, Brent and Grant, Jared and me. Brent quietly slips in the water with Grant close behind. As he is breathing up he cautions us that there are more bull sharks on the structure than normal. We proceed. Jared enters the water with me close behind. *Just as I load the bands on my gun we hear the unmistakable sound of Brent's Australian made cannon go off. He surfaces and yells for us to get back in the boat as "hundreds" of bull sharks are coming off the structure. When he dropped he saw a nice Cobia (normally run with the sharks) and took the shot. As soon as he hit the cobe the bulls came off the structure (which was obscured due to vis/thermal cline) and stole the Cobia, the shaft, and started for Brent. By now I'm the only one with a loaded gun and I'm starting to see the bulls swimming in aggressive patterns all around us. Every one swims back to the boat while I'm swimming last keeping my gun pointed at every set of jaws that comes close. At one point a very girthy bull swims at me chest level so I do what has always worked in the past and extended my gun and swam aggressively at the mano while growling as loud as I could. He just pressed on...so I stop and swim backward toward the boat while facing this guy and getting ready to pull trigger when my buddies grab me from behind under the arms and throw me in the boat. Scared s#%~less, I drop my gun and let it sink as I'm being pulled in the boat...let the float line keep it. We have never seen that many bulls on one structure, never had them get so aggressive right off the bat. We've dove this spot regularly in every season before this experience and since. Nevah witnessed anything like it. There were so many bull sharks that we couldn't count them...literally hundreds it seemed . What was it? Some breeding ritual thing? Off season currents? Feeding event where there normally are only 2-5 bulls at the most except for this time? Still a mystery. Brent is Fla born and raised and one of the absolute most gifted and gentlemanly spearos i have met. He has seen it all...or so he thought. We still search for an explanation. These are his waters and this was the first and only time he's ever witnessed this.

Story 2:
Diving White City with my bruddah Jared. He brought along a friend who wanted to learn the ropes of free diving. So he's working with his friend and I'm off by myself dropping and shooting fish. I drop down to the main structure at 70' and nail a giant kahala. I let the reel spool as I hit the surface where I put the brakes on. *As I work the buggah, I'm enjoying the fight as well as the satisfaction that I've just poked my largest kahala. I finally get him up and straddle him and sink my knife into the top of his head. As I'm doing this I feel Jared ram into my right shoulder as he came over to help me subdue my fish...only it wasn't Jared. What I saw made me stop what I was doing and start kicking for the boat with quivering Kahala in my hands. I had just been "bumped" by an adult mako. A mako? What the heck was a mako doing in Gulf of Mexico this far in? 20-30 miles off shore it's only 60-80'. I warned Jared and his friend to be careful. Even they had a hard time believing it was a mako. But I know what I saw. It was a close up profile view just below the surface. I searched data bases just to compare what i saw with published photos . This Mano definitely was a mako. The amazing thing about this experience is that it has left an almost spiritual effect on me. I had a struggling fish in a bear hug. I was fighting a fish that was putting out "fish in distress" signals for more than 10 mins at least. I was surrounded by a cloud of fish blood and oil when the mano came calling. Why no bite? This day was not the clearest. Maybe 20-30' vis at the most. What is also amazing is that he didn't leave after bumping me. After I swam directly to the boat in that all too familiar backward swim with gun extended in one hand and death grip on the forked tail of my PB kahala technique, I got in the boat to ice my fish and take inventory of my right shoulder....still there, but my wetsuit looked liked it had been sanded by some heavy duty grit sandpaper. When it was apparent the shark was gone I got back in the water along with Jared as my safety diver and worked the bottom for grouper. On one descent I felt my fins bump together. Thinking that was odd, I looked up behind me and saw the same mako swimming away as if he was bored with me. When I surfaced Jared was big eyed and convinced it was a mako. Jared and I later made a drop together where I hammered my personal best grouper.

So, i ask, aumakua or toothy taxman looking for a bite? All humble respect for Hawaiian mythology aside, when it comes down to who takes home dinner, I will make sure I am the one leaving the water instead of becoming a Mano menu item.

However, since that experience with the white tip years ago, I personally chose to respect the Hawaiian mythology about the Mano and to never target them for trophy or food. * I dont judge those who do. But that's just me and my choice. Equally, I have no problem ending the life of this apex hunter if me, my sons, my buddies, or any other human *is in danger of being hurt or killed.

So based on my experiences witnessing this weird, unexplained behavior by sharks, I can fully believe Mark and his Great White encounter.

As far as the Aumakua thing, I wish I could find the article I read by a BI diver at pohoiki years ago. Brian Ayau, or one of the Lai's?...but it Was about an encounter with a tiger at pohoiki that displayed familiar characteristics and a benevolent demeanor leading him to ask if this was kupuna that was there as protection...or something like that. Respond with the source if you know it. I've been searching.

Just to go on record, I do not demean nor disrespect any one who chooses to hunt or shoot sharks. I have good friends that I respect and admire who choose differently than me. *That's cool. My opinion is just that; an opinion. So if my buddies stay reading this post, Plz bruddahs...no take offense! Jus label me lolo for my belief and lets get on with the Ho'olaule'a called life with friends! K'den...I pau going all Portagee!

Mahalo for allowing me to bore you with my thoughts. My layover is almost over!

Aloha

E MALAMA I KE KAI

Last edited by makoa352; 07-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
OahuFreediver

Re: Mano: My Aumakua or Jus One Toothy Taxman?

wow Makoa just read your accounts of the bulls and makos. both species being apex predators fast and fierce. Never heard of bull sharks congregating like that only hammerheads. I'm glad you and your friends made it out of the water. How big was that Mako seems like a very curious bump if swam up to you and you thought it was your dive partner at 1st. must of been unreal. glad you shared your experiences with us and trust me your beliefs are good I also catch release sharks when I'm ulua fishing and I admire em while diving. I've yet to have a scary encounter all peaceful non aggro experiences.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Florida and Bahamas definitely the sharkist watah I've hunted. Fiji too. The pics below are pictures of pictures...originals too big file wise and wouldn't upload...first is da Kahala I was bear hugging when da kine bumped my shoulder. Other pic of my bruddah JMack who has hunted all the sharkiest watah with me. Jared ex 49niner running back and a lethal spearo. Always nice for have good eyes on you when hunting sharky watahs.

That Mako was adult sized around 10-12 ft.

Makoa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000003.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	175061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000006.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	175062  

E MALAMA I KE KAI

Last edited by makoa352; 07-10-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Sasha
Wong army Soja

Would have been killer footage of a school of Bulls! They make me nervous above all other landlords. Big balls you guys hunting amongst a school. I hung out and dove FL for a year, and def some of the most sharkiest watahz I've hunted. Those bulls can be relentless. Getting arm burn from fiyah coral grabbin bugs, sea lice driving me nuts ON my nuts, while dodgin bulls was a learning experience! Frkn hate that sea lice shet!

Wong Spearguns/Local made in Hawaii
http://www.dwong@wongguns.com
Del Pacificos dive group Est. 1969
http://www.delpac@delpacificos.com

Keep Country
Country
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Brah!...sea ukus on da Ala-Alas?! I'd rather give blood to da kine! So glad you spent time hunting Fla watah...get plenty fish, sharks, bugs,...and BUGS w/ teeth! Auwe! Nociems, horse flies, deer flies, sea ukus, mosquitos and that's befoah and aftah da spicy watah...been stung by Plenty jellies too. Maybe dats why they stay easy fo' shoot, aftah long boat rides, and all da rest, they just feel sorry for us and jump on the shaft! ...oh yeah, mushy beach break most surf sessions.Hawaii stay different...Paradise, most diving accessible from swim from shore, kayak, or short boat ride, BUT fish way Akamai and hahd fo' shoot. Nature's way.
Next to bulls, I stay away from the gray reef Mano of Fiji and south Pacific. They get aggro just by being in their territory.

K'DEN...ALOHA!

Makoa

E MALAMA I KE KAI
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

On a long layover in Tampa, and wuz going dive with my Florida boiz, but viz still murky from tropical Storm...even 25+ nm off shore. So stuck at beach remembering one oddah encounter with Ka Mano. Hunting the barge and white city, both structures at 70'. This dive belonged to my two youngest keiki kane, Kainoa wuz 9, and Kaleomakoa wuz 5. Kainoa drops to 30' and nails one kahala. Kahala sounds fo' da kine spooling the reel on my boy'z Riffe comp 3x. Kainoa kicks for da surface as I dive in pursuit of kahala to put da breaks on when one of t'ree Mano (two bull's, one silky) takes da Kahala, shakes the fish off da shaft leaving Kainoa totally bummed. I drop down with Kaleo on my back to bottom to get shaft and shooting line untangle from structure. Kaleo let's go of my neck at around 30' and kicks up to his brother. While down on structure I nail a descent kahala as they school around me, hoping to attach kainoa's shaft and remove mines so he can boat one kahala. Bulls nix that move by moving in fo' my kahala. I swim toward boat while my buddy Brent is next to my keiki kane, drawing the manos away from them. I boat da Kahala. Back with my boiz. Kahala are really schooling (that's just Fla!). Kainoa drops to 40', nails one oddah kahala and like a pro grabs the reel line to put the breaks on his fish in attempts to keep it. Boom! Bull hits it at around 15' right under us. Takes kahala #2 from Kainoa. Now he stay really pissed. But what an education my boiz stay getting on Ka Mano...mo' bettah than shark week on Discovery. Kainoa nails two more kahala, both get taken. Da score...Kainoa 0, Ka Mano 4! We move to safer watahs...artificial reef in 40' top to bottom viz. We nail some grouper, snapper and sheephead and we pau hana.

I laughed at my sons' teachers when they didn't want to excuse their absence. I told em I didn't care. While they were on a field trip to Kmart with their students, my boiz were getting an education that those teachers could only hope to get. I told em next time they talk about the ocean and sharks they might want to ask my son's to teach the class cuz the teachers know s#$*^ about sharks compared to my boiz. While Kaleo's kindergarten class were finger painting, my keiki kane wuz interacting with what's real...life in da watah!!

Da pics are my youngest keiki kane, Kainoa and Kaleomakoa jus holoholo at Laupahoehoe and Keaukaha. That's Kainoa at the top of Coconut palms grabbing some hydration...height 30'+? Look at the top of da trees in the last pic and you'll barely see him! Chee pono. Eh Sash and Trice, you recognize da beach wheah those trees stay?! Dats right,..."black sands" wheah we wen dive wit' da boy.

Aloha

Makoa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	249.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	175165   Click image for larger version

Name:	219.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	175166   Click image for larger version

Name:	244.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	175167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000010.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	175168  

E MALAMA I KE KAI

Last edited by makoa352; 07-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
OahuFreediver

haha I don't know what's more amusing to me right now. while you posted this you had a layover in Tampa, and now I find myself reading this during a layover in Tampa. Also how does a Kmart trip constitute as a field trip Jesus schools get real. Im gonna miss diving Hawaii, but looking forward to seeing the big schools of kahala! Gonna be a recruiter in Saint Pete for the next 3 years. Sasha you ever come out this way look me up! You to Makoa havnt had the privlidge of diving with you yet. Diving Big Island with Sasha and Trice was unreal never see anything like that on Oahu! Ur boyz ESP Kainoa sound like they have had some pretty amazing experiences com'on how many kids can say they've shot 4 Kahala on one trip 30ft down and taxed by bulls on every buggah. Keep sharing the stories even though I'm not in Hawaii anymore il always pay attention to this thread Hawaii and the divers I met out there will always have a place in my heart.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Rite on. I get out to Tampa every couple of months. I'll try for hook you up with Brent guys. PM me with your info and we'll definitely get you taken care of. Brent is the ultimate mentor in Fla waters. Get ready to poke plenty fish but only aftah long boat rides. Some of the fishiest watahs evah in fla!

Aloha!

E MALAMA I KE KAI
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Sasha
Wong army Soja

Mahaloz for the invite Ryan. Your stoked your stationed on a coastline state. Keep the lungz stretched. Good blessings to you, and keep an eye on da Bulls. Let's see some toad Kahala and Cobia soon. Safe passage brudah.
Aloha

Wong Spearguns/Local made in Hawaii
http://www.dwong@wongguns.com
Del Pacificos dive group Est. 1969
http://www.delpac@delpacificos.com

Keep Country
Country
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
OahuFreediver

Thanks Shasha and Makoa! Looking forward to shooting some Florida Fish. Im home in mass right now may try to go out with my boyz and shoot some Striper!