Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: Anyone have a newer World Cat 23cc in the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I was considering a ProKat before I started the Bertram project. You definitely get a lot of boat for the money. But I still had my reservation about it handling a full weekend grounds trip or Tortugas trip comfortably with a full load. I figured 4 divers, 24 tanks, full of fuel, a couple hundred pounds of ice and fish and fresh water. I just wasn't confident it could avoid the tunnel slap, despite being a displacement hull.
You made the right choice considering the loading you will do. Takes a way bigger cat to haul your load and the cost of one that would do it would quadruple your budget.

And while displacement cat ride well they are slooooow to put a 100 nautical miles behind you with any kind of reasonable fuel burn.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Spent a lot of time on a 21 Kevlacat and did well lightly loaded but was misery with a dive load. The 28 is a monster but you better not have to trailer it much and will require a wide load permit.
Chad Palan has the 28 Kevla Kat
Cadillac of Kats.
He also has the 18 footer he uses both.
Check out Killshot charters in Key West
He goes out over 80 Miles on trips.
Yep it’s wide and big but he doesn’t have a special towing permit.
Awesome killing machine.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
grey2112

The biggest reason I want the 23 WC is because I want a boat that can be used inshore like our Key West (9" draft) with a trolling motor, etc. but also be used out to 50 miles offshore on good days like I do with the Pelican. Also 23' is going to be a LOT lighter weight and easier to trailer vs. the larger and heavier ones. I don't want to have to upgrade my tow vehicle as well.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
The biggest reason I want the 23 WC is because I want a boat that can be used inshore like our Key West (9" draft) with a trolling motor, etc. but also be used out to 50 miles offshore on good days like I do with the Pelican. Also 23' is going to be a LOT lighter weight and easier to trailer vs. the larger and heavier ones. I don't want to have to upgrade my tow vehicle as well.
Tough to try and find a hybrid between inshore and offshore. I think trying to go between both, a cat would be better than a monohull. You would still have good capability for day trips offshore in decent weather and some inshore ability. What does that 23 draft? Slap a couple jack plates on there and you'll be good.

Last edited by CuzzA; 08-04-2018 at 05:23 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
You made the right choice considering the loading you will do. Takes a way bigger cat to haul your load and the cost of one that would do it would quadruple your budget.

And while displacement cat ride well they are slooooow to put a 100 nautical miles behind you with any kind of reasonable fuel burn.
Yessir, no regrets. Reminds me I need to call Scotty and see where we're at on the fuel tank.

Anyone wanna help bolt a bracket on the boat?
Old 08-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #21
grey2112

Quote:
Tough to try and find a hybrid between inshore and offshore. I think trying to go between both, a cat would be better than a monohull. You would still have good capability for day trips offshore in decent weather and some inshore ability. What does that 23 draft? Slap a couple jack plates on there and you'll be good.
The WC 23 drafts 9"
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
CuzzA

I just checked it out. Looks nice, but I can't see where you would be able to put tanks on that setup. There's no room in the stern with the built in livewell and seats.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #23
sailence

Let me know what you find out, I am looking to purchase a cat in the next year.

I looked at those kevlacats but it looks like they have trouble if they are produced in the USA instead of Australia? (unconfirmed)
sailence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #24
zackistre

Calcutta 26 would be your best bet for inshore/offshore. Plus it will be lighter than a wc23 and way more fuel efficient. Incredible boats ,ride, finish, hold there value but little pricey and almost impossible to buy used. Owners rarely sell them.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #25
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
Chad Palan has the 28 Kevla Kat
Cadillac of Kats.
He also has the 18 footer he uses both.
Check out Killshot charters in Key West
He goes out over 80 Miles on trips.
Yep it’s wide and big but he doesn’t have a special towing permit.
Awesome killing machine.
If you are wider than 8’6” you have to have a permit. The 28 Kevlacat is 9’2”.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #26
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackistre View Post
Calcutta 26 would be your best bet for inshore/offshore. Plus it will be lighter than a wc23 and way more fuel efficient. Incredible boats ,ride, finish, hold there value but little pricey and almost impossible to buy used. Owners rarely sell them.
Same weight. Problem is what you said - hardly any for sale used. No way I'm buying new.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #27
grey2112

Quote:
I just checked it out. Looks nice, but I can't see where you would be able to put tanks on that setup. There's no room in the stern with the built in livewell and seats.
I got on one and walked around - no problem putting a 6-tank holder (the one I already have) in the bow between the fish boxes, with 2-3 tank Sea Suckers on each side/gunnel of the center console. So an easy 12 tanks, with gear, even set up with BCs on. Not having to deal with a huge cooler like I currently have to because of the fish boxes is a bonus.

Honestly, it really seemed like I'd have as much if not more room than my boat.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #28
sharpshooter

I go a lot on Davids Kevla Cat 2400 aka Double Down. It's a beast of a boat. Looks like a lot bigger on the trailer. It has dual 150 gal. fuel tanks with twin 250 4 strike o/b. We have been 101 nm. from the Johns Pass bridge in the MG. We launch from Bay Pines boat ramp. Think we burned around 220 gals. for the day. Of course we pick out pretty calm days to run out there. 4 of us with about 16 tanks and gear. A huge Icy Teak cooler that you can lay out on and 2 bean bags. At 36-38 mph we got around 1.4 mpg.. I think the boat can carry up to 21 tanks. He has a F-250 diesel truck. You need to pick your gas stations for filling both sides at once. Also, in and out room. Several of you on here have been on that boat. He has it set up for hardcore diving/fishing.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Jose, David's got a Kevla Cat 2800, not a 2400, right? I've seen him out on the MG in years past.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Jose, David's got a Kevla Cat 2800, not a 2400, right? I've seen him out on the MG in years past.
Talked with David. It's called a 2800. It's 26.5' with pulpit. Really, only about 24.5'. Has a 9'1" beam. So Dan, you're right about it being called a 2800.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote