Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
TBSC2015
Reload,Shoot,Reload,shoot

My Carbo

Figured i would give guys something to read.
I don't get to dive much in the central Gulf where the big blacks mainly live in the deeper water or the lower west, and south coasts. I hadn't had the chance to pull the trigger on a black yet since i started shooting in '08. I was determined to make that happen one way or another on our fun couple days planned.

We went too the Keys for a few days grabbing up a few legal bugs in shallows along the inner coastal mainly. The winds were not what we anticipated for our planned few days, which had been planned 2 months in advanced.
Calling 4 - 7' ft. off the reefs, and 2 - 3's within the reef. I knew we were gonna have to man up, plan safe, and deal with the high seas if we wanted to drop in deeper. I knew we'd have too to get a decent fish.
Solid 20 - 25MPH wind kinda shook us a bit looking at the horizon watching the seas bulid. Of course we were the only crazy ones diving out off the reef that day. We were in a 27' Pro Cat which handled em' very well to my surprise. I recall several times the peak of the next wave being slightly higher than the tee top.
We arrived at our destination in 130' the bottom machine had a lot of life showing with the structure below. I knew there would be a really good chance a few blacks would be there, knowing not many have probably dove since the hurricane. Current was moving good with the full moon. With the conditions, i made sure we were all on our A Game before we rolled in.
Matt and I dropped straight down, 80' i could see bottom, and a 8'ft Bull swimming in to meet us. He kinda veered off and didnt see him again. I swam towards the dark structure in the distance, still angling down and i make out a pretty looking speckled head with dark black, fin tips looking at me.
I said to myself, " Finally". The species of fish i've always wanted to shoot since i got hooked on spearfishing.
Watching guys hold up big black grouper at St. Pete Open spearfishing tournaments, is what made me get certified.

The fish stared me down for about 5 secs. turned broadside and started to swim slightly, i put my custom 57" Deathstick out and held it on him in the kill zone, and waited till he turned for the killing angle, the black turned more and gave me the perfect 45 degree angle i wanted, " In soft, out hard" put it right behind the gills on the lateral line and punched through his spine breaking his back and out his face. Rolled em' then reloaded. it seemed like a lot of time, but it all happened in about 1 minute from rolling off the boat.
I watched Matt shoot his first black about a minute later about 8 lbs.
Myself, Matt, and Cameron, each shot a couple smaller blacks, muttons, mangos. Though the three of us got to shoot our first blacks on the same day. Pretty cool memory!
Its not a huge fish, but its a cool memory and experience with my good friends ill never forget.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brentscarbo.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	229566 Click image for larger version

Name:	keysbugs.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	229567 Click image for larger version

Name:	Camblack.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	229568Click image for larger version

Name:	Brentsfirstcarbo.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	229565
TBSC2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
StukNotAnchored

Re: My Carbo

Good job. Enjoy the meals. The Keys are magical aren't they?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Congrats of your first Carbo. Proper shot placement and shot angle are critical in shooting big Carbo's and you did it to perfection. Shooting your first Carbo is something you will likely always remember, but stoning your first Carbo is priceless!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
grey2112

Great job, Brent! Glad you finally nailed one. And damn, are they not the tastiest of all the grouper?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Great job, Brent! Glad you finally nailed one. And damn, are they not the tastiest of all the grouper?
No, scamp are better... and a lot easier to shoot.

Sounds like a great trip!😂
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Conqrats on a great day. Enjoyed reading the story!

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
triponempa
internet troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSC2015 View Post
I don't get to dive much in the central Gulf where the big blacks mainly live in the deeper water or the lower west, and south coasts. I hadn't had the chance to pull the trigger on a black yet since i started shooting in '08. I was determined to make that happen one way or another on our fun couple days planned.

We went too the Keys for a few days grabbing up a few legal bugs in shallows along the inner coastal mainly. The winds were not what we anticipated for our planned few days, which had been planned 2 months in advanced.
Calling 4 - 7' ft. off the reefs, and 2 - 3's within the reef. I knew we were gonna have to man up, plan safe, and deal with the high seas if we wanted to drop in deeper. I knew we'd have too to get a decent fish.
Solid 20 - 25MPH wind kinda shook us a bit looking at the horizon watching the seas bulid. Of course we were the only crazy ones diving out off the reef that day. We were in a 27' Pro Cat which handled em' very well to my surprise. I recall several times the peak of the next wave being slightly higher than the tee top.
We arrived at our destination in 130' the bottom machine had a lot of life showing with the structure below. I knew there would be a really good chance a few blacks would be there, knowing not many have probably dove since the hurricane. Current was moving good with the full moon. With the conditions, i made sure we were all on our A Game before we rolled in.
Matt and I dropped straight down, 80' i could see bottom, and a 8'ft Bull swimming in to meet us. He kinda veered off and didnt see him again. I swam towards the dark structure in the distance, still angling down and i make out a pretty looking speckled head with dark black, fin tips looking at me.
I said to myself, " Finally". The species of fish i've always wanted to shoot since i got hooked on spearfishing.
Watching guys hold up big black grouper at St. Pete Open spearfishing tournaments, is what made me get certified.

The fish stared me down for about 5 secs. turned broadside and started to swim slightly, i put my custom 57" Deathstick out and held it on him in the kill zone, and waited till he turned for the killing angle, the black turned more and gave me the perfect 45 degree angle i wanted, " In soft, out hard" put it right behind the gills on the lateral line and punched through his spine breaking his back and out his face. Rolled em' then reloaded. it seemed like a lot of time, but it all happened in about 1 minute from rolling off the boat.
Myself, Matt, and Cameron, each shot a couple smaller blacks, muttons, mangos. Though the three of us got to shoot our first blacks on the same day. Pretty cool memory!
Its not a huge fish, but its a cool memory and experience with my good friends ill never forget.

Attachment 229566 Attachment 229567 Attachment 229568Attachment 229565
Each shot a few blacks that day huh? that's great! problem is - you are allowed one per day per diver- and two reds.
I live in the keys and I used to make my primary living from commercial spearing- but you know what makes it hard to make a living doing that?
Out of town people - coming down and poaching fish.
You should atleast have the decency to not post a story about it on a public forum.
I know you probably thin i'm a dick - but I don't know what you do for a living- but if I was doing something illegal that cut into your livelihood and put our fishery at risk from overfishing- what would you say?
I don't see it as a big deal - I don't agree with the new fish limits and I think the fish cops use selective enforcement to waste thier time going after small time stuff (like guys like you) when things like the mutton spawn massacre goes on unchecked.- So I don't judge you - but maybe keep your criminal activity off the forums- especially when you are visiting an ara where you don't live- If you want to poach - atleast do it near YOUR house - not mine.
And we wonder why they had to make a law to make hogfish bigger for us locals - when it's you out of towners who kill all the baby hogs.
I bet if I could see your phone pics of all your catch that day - we would see a bunch of 11" hogs too?

where is that snitch - lobster lee when you need him? He is probably on the phone with the fwc right now- he called them on me once because he assumed I was out of the area I was licences to be (I wasn't but he tried ot snitch me out over a pic on facebook- so it CAN and DOES happen- watch what pics you post and check my local laws before you start killing all my barely legal blacks)
\ weak bro
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
SEATUX

Quote:
No..Scamp are far better.

But congrats on your first Carbo
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
TBSC2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by triponempa View Post
Each shot a few blacks that day huh? that's great! problem is - you are allowed one per day per diver- and two reds.
I live in the keys and I used to make my primary living from commercial spearing- but you know what makes it hard to make a living doing that?
You should atleast have the decency to not post a story about it on a public forum.
I know you probably thin i'm a dick - but I don't know what you do for a living- but if I was doing something illegal that cut into your livelihood and put our fishery at risk from overfishing- what would you say?
I don't see it as a big deal - I don't agree with the new fish limits and I think the fish cops use selective enforcement to waste thier time going after small time stuff (like guys like you) when things like the mutton spawn massacre goes on unchecked.- So I don't judge you - but maybe keep your criminal activity off the forums- especially when you are visiting an ara where you don't live- If you want to poach - atleast do it near YOUR house - not mine.
And we wonder why they had to make a law to make hogfish bigger for us locals - when it's you out of towners who kill all the baby hogs.
I bet if I could see your phone pics of all your catch that day - we would see a bunch of 11" hogs too?

where is that snitch - lobster lee when you need him? He is probably on the phone with the fwc right now- he called them on me once because he assumed I was out of the area I was licences to be (I wasn't but he tried ot snitch me out over a pic on facebook- so it CAN and DOES happen- watch what pics you post and check my local laws before you start killing all my barely legal blacks)
\ weak bro

Are you serious?
Bro i commercial shoot the gulf all the time. I know the limits, i know the laws. lol
We each shot one black a day, we were in town for 4 days. We only shot 4 total in 4 days.....Whats your problem?

Guys like me know whats up. Most of your "Out of towners" couldnt hit a undersized hog anyways. And 11" hogs? Thats an insult too Me..... Never saw a single legal hog out of the 20 or so (11" ers) i saw in 4 days, when im used to shooting that many 12" - 20" on one drop at home where our hogs are healthy even with out of towners. I promise you i've shot more hogs than most on this forum in the short years iv been spearing. I went too several fisheries council meetings to give " My Vote " on raising the size limits too 14" on hogs because 12" is too small. It was your local commercial spearing, and fishing buddies who said YES too that one. Get your shit straight bro before you call someone out on a public forum.
Sorry to invade on your homewaters. Do you own the water? Do you own those fish? I dont give a flying FK if you own quota. Maybe you should have been out there that day to harvest like we did legally.
And to call me a poacher? Fck You!
Don't be a douchebag !

Last edited by TBSC2015; 10-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
HOTDOG

What's weak is your post. Reminds me of a skit on SNL...Maybe you should change your avatar to this picture ....whaaaaa whaaaaa
Quote:

\ weak bro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Debbie.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	229577  
HOTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
HOTDOG

Aloe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	burned.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	229578  
HOTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
TBSC2015

Quote:
Thanks Cuz!
Scamp are better!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
triponempa
internet troll

Quote:

Attachment 229566 Attachment 229567 Attachment 229568Attachment 229565
I hope you weren't poaching- it was you who clearly told a story of shooting your black with the long story - then you typed the third from last sentence- "I watched Matt shoot his first black a minute later about 8 lbs. Myself Matt, and Cameron EACH shot a COUPLE smaller blacks" this was what you typed .
Either you meant to put it another way- or you were poaching.
You typed it.
So to recap - you told the detailed story about the nice black you got - then said each of you shot a couple smaller blacks.
I'm sure you are really a tough guy - despite what your pics would suggest - so I definatly don't want you mad at me- but you clearly said what you said- and it sounds like you each shot a couple smaller blacks- AFTER shooting your first one. It was either a typo or you don't know the rules.
I will apoligize for the hog comment- it was baseless and over the top.- But the multiple blacks IDK.

If it WAS a typo - it was YOUR typo- not mine. If you were poaching - then you deserve to be called out for putting it out there like that.-" Each got a couple smaller blacks" how does that read to you?
Either way- I will be the bad guy for calling it out- ID care if you like it. I live here.
Poach your own waters and I won't say a word.
You shoot commercial too huh? never got a black before though? hmmmmm
**** you too poacher .

Last edited by triponempa; 10-21-2016 at 09:36 PM.
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
grey2112

Quote:
Thanks Cuz!
Scamp are better!
Can't wait to try one so I can see just how good it is - maybe some day!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #15
grey2112

Quote:
I hope you weren't poaching- it was you who clearly told a story of shooting your black with the long story - then you typed the third from last sentence- "I watched Matt shoot his first black a minute later about 8 lbs. Myself Matt, and Cameron EACH shot a COUPLE smaller blacks" this was what you typed .
Either you meant to put it another way- or you were poaching.
You typed it.
So to recap - you told the detailed story about the nice black you got - then said each of you shot a couple smaller blacks.
I'm sure you are really a tough guy - despite what your pics would suggest - so I definatly don't want you mad at me- but you clearly said what you said- and it sounds like you each shot a couple smaller blacks- AFTER shooting your first one. It was either a typo or you don't know the rules. Either way- I will be the bad guy for calling it out- ID care if you like it. I live here.
Poach your own waters and I won't say a word.
You shoot commercial too huh? never got a black before though? hmmmmm
The internet is horrible for reading comprehension. I know Brent and am related to him. He is one of the most responsible stewards of the ocean I've ever met. You are wrong here. I know you didn't intend to be confrontational or a dick, based on the facts as you saw them, and I agree it could be read the way you did. But you are wrong here. Let it drop, please.

I appreciate your passion here, and you are right to be upset by poachers, but Brent and his friends are not your enemy.