Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
TogHog

DIY Float Line Help

First let me describe my intentions. I want to make the cheapest possible, effective float line for standard everyday spearfishing. Here are my materials lay out:

200 ft of PVC tubing - $28
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults

300 ft of 250 lb mono line - $15

constrictor knot line - free leftovers

heat shrink wrap pack of 100 - $10
Anytime Tools 127 pc Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Cable Sleeve Tubing Sets Assorted Size e/Case - Amazon.com Anytime Tools 127 pc Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Cable Sleeve Tubing Sets Assorted Size e/Case - Amazon.com

Tuna clips - free leftovers

6 Float line plugs - $5
http://www.mscdirect.com/ShoppingCartView

The problem I'm having is with the float line plugs. I selected these clevis pins because to buy 6 neptonics float line plugs would defeat the purpose of DIY, rendering it more economical to simply buy a floatline. I have no hardware required to mold these pins.

My issue is - how can I securely fasten these pins to the mono running through the inside of the tubing, while also creating a holding point for the constrictor knot in order to keep the tubing water tight?

My idea was to run mono through the holes directly in front of the head of the pin (head inside of the tubing) and crimp the mono inside of the tubing. Then tie the constrictor knot around the head of the pin in the tubing so as to secure it and shrink wrap around that. Will this be water tight?

If you have experience please share! Any other suggestions for a cheap but effective floatline plug are welcome.
TogHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Red Tide

Re: DIY Float Line Help

Skip all of that nonsense. Buy some foam filled poly pro (.20 per foot) and put a longline clip on each end ($2.50 each). This is the same stuff as the Rob Allen orange floatline. Do that math
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
lemke

The link to your float line plugs shows an empty shopping cart... I'm curious what you're using.

I used 600 pound Aussie swivel clips for the ends of my float line...
lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Skip all of that nonsense. Buy some foam filled poly pro (.20 per foot) and put a longline clip on each end ($2.50 each). This is the same stuff as the Rob Allen orange floatline. Do that math
What gr said. Foam filled doesn't turn to sink line either like the vinyl ones do if you nick them or don't seal the ends right. I tried making my own vinyl float line awhile ago and it just wasn't worth the aggravation and time I spent on it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
TogHog

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a link to the clevis pins that should work

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/67925685

Red Tide you make a persuasive point about the foam filled floatline. My brother uses the Mako foam filled in Hawaii and we used it for the last month in Puerto Rico. It works great especially in caves and big reef structure, but my only issue is that it tangles easily. If I can't figure out a cheap way to do the vinyl I will go that route.

lemke can you send a link to the swivel clips? I was thinking of going this route but my issue is finding the right price. If I have to double the price of my entire build for the hardware it makes the entire thing uneconomical.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
lemke

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl.../product/8555/

The PVC tubing fits snugly over the swivel body, add a double constrictor knot between the ring and the body, and you're good to go. A little dab of silicone caulk doesn't hurt either.

Those clevis pins you're using would rust in saltwater... should be fine in fresh.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
TogHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemke View Post

The PVC tubing fits snugly over the swivel body, add a double constrictor knot between the ring and the body, and you're good to go. A little dab of silicone caulk doesn't hurt either.
They look solid but as I said before, to make the 3 floatlines I want I would have to pay $60 for hardware. That's more than all the other materials combined. Add in the time it takes to assemble and the project becomes unviable.

Thanks for the help guys I guess the only logical solution is to go with foam filled. If anyone has an idea where to get cheaper effective hardware please post.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
lemke

Here's another solution for you... thread a plastic bead (from Michaels'?) on the mono before you crimp the loop, (actually, you could simply tie a loop knot) then pull the bead into the PVC tubing and cinch 'er down (zip tie on both sides of the bead) between the knot and the bead. You could add a snap swivel on one of the loops, or a longline clip, or whatever you have.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
TogHog

Not a bad idea lemke. Would have to add in some epoxy to be sure that it's water tight but it's worth a shot.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

skip all that and buy some 3/16 amsteel rope. its tough as hell and floats. you can search around online and find good deals on it.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UtnG4bTnbIU

Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #11
dxb.night

There is a version of automotive bungee line that floats. It doesn't tangle, and is stretchy. I've never been able to pin down the supplier, but there is US based one.

I believe it's polypropylene sheathed, and comes in 8mm and 10mm diameters.

If you go that way you won't regret it, as some old SA tuna boards used similar ones to good effect.

Just make sure it's the right one, then put tuna clips / swivels on the ends.

Simple polypropylene rope works too, but make sure it doesn't tangle much.
dxb.night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Behslayer

Skip all that nonsense and get a reel. Then make a cheap float line from any nylon rope that will hold your float. Tie the other end to a cheap form of weight/anchor. Drop it down where you are diving. Move it when you move. The PVC tubing thing it's just the wrong material. You can make it watertight.. but it will still nick and tear. I wonder, if you were to take some 400lb Mono and thread it through the center of a cheapo nylon rope if you would then have a tangle free experience. We make a Dyneema Reel line with a Mono Core and that helps a lot with making the line more resistant to tangles.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Im also shopping around for a new solution at floatline.

I had the Rob Allen foam filled polypro line - and I literally for the life of me cant even get it unkinked for the first time. It seems like every time I undo a kink, it kinks again either in front of behind that.

Every time you put this line away it kinks like crazy and becomes one big knotted mess.

Im not sure if Im doing something wrong, or if that is just the material, but its been a big enough pain that Ive stopped using it until I find something better.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
kwtony
Snorkel Master

The PVC float lines are a synch to make and take only about 10-15 minuets, but require someone else to help. You need a shop vac or a household to suck a strand of heavy duty or kevlar thread through. then you tie the mono/dyneema/spectra to it and pull that through. Then attach the lines with your fancy float line plugs that you ordered from Neptonics. The thread should take about 5-10 seconds to go through 100 feet of tubing. But you have to have the tubing very straight and i found that moving it around while pulling the cord through made it easier. You can pull the tubing to make it straighter as well while doing a few whipping motions. I made mine in about 20 minuets. But that included the break halfway to take a dump and drink a beer..
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Im also shopping around for a new solution at floatline.

I had the Rob Allen foam filled polypro line - and I literally for the life of me cant even get it unkinked for the first time. It seems like every time I undo a kink, it kinks again either in front of behind that.

Every time you put this line away it kinks like crazy and becomes one big knotted mess.

Im not sure if Im doing something wrong, or if that is just the material, but its been a big enough pain that Ive stopped using it until I find something better.
I use it without any problems. You have to put a swivel on each side of the rope. That will prevent tangles and kinks.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote