Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to bubblejunkie
Question What is/was Spearboard to you?

Heres what it is for me.

Reports, Pics of everyones nice catch a little help and the ability to help as often as I can. While I dont feel like I'm better than anybody else I do like to learn something new and pass it along everyday.

Along the way I've definately learned that helping people can get you stuck in the arse but I still like helping people in anyway I can, it's a fault I guess.

I enjoy paying attention to a place where most people have the same idea of what a good time is and being apart of something that I hope is/will be good for people that shoot often or people interested in getting into spearfishing.

Just wanna see what Spearboard is to everyone else? I'm sick and had to cancel diving yesterday and today So I'm startig to itch
bubblejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
WonderBoy
My Wong held by a Pirate

Send a message via AIM to WonderBoy
Re: What is/was Spearboard to you?

I was working in a dive shop when I heard about SB. At the time, I had literally JUST gotten a speargun and sucked pretty bad. I'm not a whole lot better now!
Spearboard to me was immediately a source of knowledge. I asked questions, I read other's questions and read answers. I learned a ton over the few years I've been keeping up.
I did notice that alot of the guys knew each other. It was a network of friends. They don't immediately accept people right in. A modicum of respect is given and more is somewhat easily earned, provided you don't put your foot in your mouth too much, which I have done on more than one occasion.
The ribbing and ballbusting was a great part of the board. It kept it casual and no matter what you harped on someone else about, your time was coming.
There was bickering. There was name calling.
With the exception of a few youngsters on the board (I may still be one of them!) we are adults here. I don't believe there needs to be sandbox-style management or parenting. I understand now that there is significant financial gain to be had. So when one has money invested, one does seek to control factors that could harm that investment.
That being said, I've enjoyed my time with the board. I've met some people, made some friends. Still haven't made it to a damn tournament yet!
Most of all, I'm impressed by the wealth of knowledge both spearfishing related and otherwise. There is a wide assortment of people here now and no matter what, there is always SOMEONE that can answer a question, or point you in a direction that can.

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul...
WonderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Send a message via Yahoo to David Deman

Spearboard is usually a pretty big part of my day, big part of the club, and such, a pretty big part of my life. I have met some of my best friends on here, had some great times, and learned more in the last few months about spearing that i ever could've hoped by doing it any other way. Tahnks to all the guys that I've met and become great friends with. And a big thanks to Tony for putting up with everyone's BS. From the newest member, to the old spearo vets like Skip, Terry, Dave Edlund, Daryl, Rick, Sheri, the list goes on and on, it's a place where we can all get together and be on the same page.
David Deman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Trinigordo
M.I.A.

I am in the situation where I am teaching myself how to spearfish. The learning curve sucks and I have no one to dive with locally.

So SB to me is, the spearo mentor that I was not able to find in real life. I find the board is an irreplaceable resource and is my foundation to getting better, eventually one day I might even be mediocre. The board also represents a chance for me to network with like-minded people, I hope that I will get the opportunity to dive with at least a few of you and see how its supposed to be done.

Though I must admit, I do enjoy reading the reports and accompanying photos.

Mikey

- Mikey
Trinigordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

I've learned quite a bit here, but of greater value to me is that I've made some friends here that I most likely would not have without SB.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son
I've learned quite a bit here, but of greater value to me is that I've made some friends here that I most likely would not have without SB.
EXACTLY what he said.

Also, I think its a very good source for reports and spot intel.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
emo spearo

.to me spearboard is something.
.everything.
.nothing.
.it is my life.
.all i do is study.
.write lyrics.
.play guitar and keyboard.
.listen to manson and dashboard.
.and watch spearboard.
.i love it so much, i cannot live without it.
.behold the power of spearboard.
.the power to teach.
.the power to learn.
.the power to live.
.the power to love.
.the power to communicate.
.it is my platform where i can express my feelings.
.whether happiness or sadness.
.pain and suffering.
.or spearfishing bliss.
.it is my life.
.i am going to get a spearboard tattoo on my neck.
.tomorrow.

:-*=>~~~ooo***my new favorite all time band click HERE ***ooo~~~:-* HOORAY!!!!!!

.salty tears corrode even the seemingly tough shell from the iron head they weep from.
emo spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
cmfish
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo spearo
.salty tears corrode even the seemingly tough shell from the iron head they weep from.

Just noticed that.

In short, Spearboard is information, entertainment, and friends ( in no particular order).
cmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
deepstops
Not a user but registered

Send a message via AIM to deepstops Send a message via Yahoo to deepstops

What I like: It's a great resource to learn from, a great place to meet other spearos, and I really like seeing all the people bringing home dinner.

What I dislike: The board isn't the same as it used to be. I welcomed the technical spearing section when it opened but I see many bad practices being submitted as "the" way to do things and when someone challenges those practices, those posts get deleted.

Brian
Weston, FL
http://www.geocities.com/deepstops

Last edited by deepstops; 07-16-2007 at 01:40 PM.
deepstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Nathan Florian

I found SB a few years ago in an email from a friend who has since passed away, Rich Cain. The email was about the 8# lobster that bit his finger off. I have also met alot of cool people from SB and learned alot about spearing in general. Never a dull moment, from Dive4Blood's fiery intelect, to Pargo's antics. Always a laugh. I have never found a tighter nit group. When you think of an internet forum you think of a bunch of geeks who sit around and watch Star Trek. Not the case here as most of the people who voice opinions and talk trash get out and geter done. The recent passing of JLB also has really shown me that ther are some great people on here.
Nathan Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

I was only an advanced snorkler when I found this site and have learned all of my diving skills from this site.!

Dago.

EVERYTHING I TYPE IS FOR EMTERTAINMENT ONLY.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Mike, I would not know you if it weren't for Speardboard
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblejunkie
Mike, I would not know you if it weren't for Speardboard

Jerry,
For sure I have met ALOT of really great people and that is the main reason for hanging out on the site. There is not a week that goes buy that you cant get in on a trip someplace well within driving distance and that is very cool.!

See you in the deep end soon.

Dago.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagodiver
Jerry,
For sure I have met ALOT of really great people and that is the main reason for hanging out on the site. There is not a week that goes buy that you cant get in on a trip someplace well within driving distance and that is very cool.!

Quote:
See you in the deep end soon.

Dago.

Yea I'm already losing sleep over it
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Slay Ride

What are you illing from there BJ?