Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #46
kaborkian

Send a message via Yahoo to kaborkian
Re: Help picking a new prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck7
Ran aground hard Sunday night screwing up hopefully only the prop...might be more.

Damn channel shifted in that last NorEaster and I didn't realize it in running out 5 times after the NEaster because I was in high water every time...running in with some confidence Sunday night at about 35mph (at 10 minutes off of dead low...) and the next thing I know I'm flying, my console is flipping over and I'm sitting in knee deep water walking distance from the channel marker. There was a boat that I thought was fishing in the channel and I was getting irritated as I saw him...turns out he'd just gotten stuck ahead of me. Then, we both watched 4 other boats run aground. I just happened to have the luck of being the only inboard in the crowd, so everyone else just trimmed up and pushed their way back to the channel. It took two boats to tow us off and the whole boat rattles like crazy at anything above 2mph...

SO, I've got the prop nut off, is there a way to pull it w/out a prop puller?
How do I check for other damage and what else should I be looking for? It was a sand/mud bar (hard packed enough to jump out of the boat and not even sink enough to bury my toe.)

Finally, one last call for a used 14x12 or 15x12 left hand prop.
You can use 2 x hammers. Put one hammer against the front hub of the prop, hold it there solid, and then hit the back of it with the other hammer.

P.S. Don't use a claw hammer ;P
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #47
Redneck7
Waiting on warm water

Send a message via AIM to Redneck7
Re: Help picking a new prop

I used a gear puller and made it work combined with a little hammering to get it off.

Prop shop laughed at me, said if they even attempted to fix it they would surely break at least 2 blades off...he ran it in the computer with the current engine, rpms, boat size, etc and came up with a 13x12 and then using the numbers I gave using the pre-damaged 14x12 with cup he decided I'd better stick there. He said clearance with the 15 would probably be a tight issue and no need to push it.

Dago, I'll call you tomorrow re: the other stuff that could be wrong (is wrong) since you seem like you'd know regardless of the make of boat, but you'd definitely know this one.

Thanks

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Redneck7 is offline   Reply With Quote