Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #31
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Re: Side Scan Sonar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Gene View Post
What's the transducer like to mount?
its a transom mount, no different than any other to mount its just much larger
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #32
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Side Scan Sonar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt888 View Post
Here's a few pics I took showing a dolphin swimming under my boat, a crab trap, and a variety of man made reefs (cement). Don't let the Lowarence and Furuno owners tell you "it's a Humminbird...it must suck!" I heard that crap for the past few months as I was interested in hearing what people thought of the side image units. Every person that had a negative opinion "heard the units weren't all that" and never had actually USED one.
Nice images Matt! They look really useful. Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #33
matt888
Matt Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators27 View Post
its a transom mount, no different than any other to mount its just much larger
The mount is not any different, but location is absolutely crucial to performance! If you plan on actually using the side image (really the only reason I wanted this system - but also the best feature) you have to mount it in a location where there is NOTHING blocking the sonar signals that come off each side at approx 90 degrees. They are narrow bands, but a boat engine bracket or trim tab for example in that line of sight will screw your picture up big time.

I got lucky and was able to put it about 15" off center on the starboard side and not have anything block the view from side to side. Even with finding the perfect spot, many people report a less accurate picture to the left side of the boat due to the sonar passing through turbulent water from their props. With power tilt and trim you can increase the picture quality on the left side by tilting that engine up a few degrees while looking for structure.

Just some more information for those of you interested in the technology and limitations it does have.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #34
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt888 View Post
The mount is not any different, but location is absolutely crucial to performance! If you plan on actually using the side image (really the only reason I wanted this system - but also the best feature) you have to mount it in a location where there is NOTHING blocking the sonar signals that come off each side at approx 90 degrees. They are narrow bands, but a boat engine bracket or trim tab for example in that line of sight will screw your picture up big time.

I got lucky and was able to put it about 15" off center on the starboard side and not have anything block the view from side to side. Even with finding the perfect spot, many people report a less accurate picture to the left side of the boat due to the sonar passing through turbulent water from their props. With power tilt and trim you can increase the picture quality on the left side by tilting that engine up a few degrees while looking for structure.

Just some more information for those of you interested in the technology and limitations it does have.
yes I see clearer on the right than the left and I have a full swim platform/engine bracket which totally takes it out of the picture.
I need to play around with it a bit so that I can read the bottom while running, right now the whole thing cuts out at about 20 miles an hour
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #35
matt888
Matt Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators27 View Post
yes I see clearer on the right than the left and I have a full swim platform/engine bracket which totally takes it out of the picture.
I need to play around with it a bit so that I can read the bottom while running, right now the whole thing cuts out at about 20 miles an hour
What cuts out? The side image feature at speed? That view is pretty much useless over 6 mph! The conventional 2-D sonar should work fairly decent at high speeds. Some guys get the optional "through hull" transducer for an even better high speed 2-D picture.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #36
PCdiver
Obsessed Member

Has anyone seen or used the SportScan towed side scan sonar made by Imagenex? http://www.imagenex.com/Products/Spo...can_specs.html
I have been looking at them, but would like some feedback from costumers. I have used their Rotating Head Sonars for work and they are great and the customer service is great too.
The reason I am looking at a towed sonar is that my experiance with side scan is that if the platform is not stable (i.e. a small boat in any seas) the image goes to $h!t quickly. Guys with the Humminbird SS, at what wave height does your image start degrading? And how large of a boat are you using it on?
PCdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #37
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCdiver View Post
Has anyone seen or used the SportScan towed side scan sonar made by Imagenex? http://www.imagenex.com/Products/Spo...can_specs.html
I have been looking at them, but would like some feedback from costumers. I have used their Rotating Head Sonars for work and they are great and the customer service is great too.
The reason I am looking at a towed sonar is that my experiance with side scan is that if the platform is not stable (i.e. a small boat in any seas) the image goes to $h!t quickly. Guys with the Humminbird SS, at what wave height does your image start degrading? And how large of a boat are you using it on?
I have a 25.5 plus swim platform/bracket and the thing does surprisingly well even in large seas, biggest seas i've had it out in was the first time i used it. Sease were 5 foot rollers with white caps. Side scan you could see concrete rubble piles no problem it would have been very hard if not imposible to locate some of this stuff without side scan in those kind of seas. You can always tell the difference between sand small rock piles/ hard bottom. Even in large seas.

Matt, righ now i can't get the machine to get any reading at all over 20 miles per hour, I need to play with the transducer position but have been too busy to mess with it yet. Yah, I know the side scan is no good over about 10 mile per hour.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #38
matt888
Matt Rey

Good to hear you still had enough image quality in larger seas. I've only had mine out in about 2 footers thus far but it performed as well as the flat calm intercoastal.

There's no doubt the image will start to "stretch" in larger seas, but structure should still stand out enough to decide whether or not you want to spear

Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #39
gcracker89

http://www.geocities.com/~magman123/
Is the web site for these units about $6,500. plus a lap top, guess I will have to wait till next year now I just spent $6,000. in new electronics for the boat.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #40
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

gogators27, where did you put your transducer? If it is behind a lift strake, it may be getting air, as they channel the air down it. But you may be able to slide the whole thing downward, and make sure it is slightly tilted, so that the back is down farther than the front, but the front needs to be in the water fully so no bubble forms on it. You may have to get back there and look at it, while someone else is driving. Both of my boats fish finders work at over 40 mph. I plan on getting a Hummingbird 997. I work in a treasure salvage group and we have 3 tow fish side scans which the cheap model cost 6500 or so, and the better one is twice that. Well one of the guys got a 987 used a few months ago, and made a tow fish basically like a Sea-View towable video camera tow fish, out of 2" PVC, acrylic fins and heavy plastic nose cone. He put in 5 lbs of lead shot with resin, and attached a place to mount the transducer. He has this on a 3 seater Jet Ski. He uses the 30 ft cable and has gotten great pictures. He also has a magnetometer tow fish on this jet ski. Hummingbird sells 30' lengths of transducer cables, it plugs into the other cable, just needs to be water proofed and strengthed, and you could tow back quite a ways. I had always heard it was possible to do this, now I have seen it work, and it does take all the motion out of it, even on a jet ski.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #41
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
gogators27, where did you put your transducer? If it is behind a lift strake, it may be getting air, as they channel the air down it. But you may be able to slide the whole thing downward, and make sure it is slightly tilted, so that the back is down farther than the front, but the front needs to be in the water fully so no bubble forms on it. You may have to get back there and look at it, while someone else is driving. Both of my boats fish finders work at over 40 mph. I plan on getting a Hummingbird 997. .
I put it between the bottom lift strake and the bottom(keel) of the hull. I figured that the lift strake could cause problems so I put it six inches away from it. I made the transducer perfectly parallel to the hull so that may be the problem. Thanks for the tip on slightly tilting it back. That will be the first thing that I try as I think it is already down enough so the the entire bottom of the transducer is under water while on plane.

PS- if you get one do not touch it while it is on underwater it will juice you pretty good!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #42
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Remember that the transom is out of the water when you are going fast, just the bottom of the boat is wet, so you must have the whole face or lower face under the water enough that it doesnt get an air bubble formed on it. I used to rig electronics on boats for a living. They can be tricky, and some boats just have a steep deadrise and are not easy. Sounds like you are down deep and not really having any interferance from the engines. My boat is like yours, 25 foot hull with an additional swim platform/engine bracket w/ 2 outboards. I think its 24 degrees deadrise. So I probably could learn from your mistakes or things that you did to improve reception and images. Sounds like you just need to tilt it down in the back, if not slide the whole thing down some and tilt it back. It should get a good picture/image at speeds over 30 Kts. You need to be able to be cruising to your spots and looking for ledges that you didnt know about! I find them all the time and I usually cruise about 29 Kts. But it still gets a good image at 40+. Thats just a regular bottom machine.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #43
Ranger1

I put the 997 on my cat a couple of months ago and love it, will never go back to just a conventional bottom sonar. I've built a towfish, but because of these never ending NE winds haven't tried it out yet. I've been finding good structure that we've been motoring over for years, its amazing. I don't get good conventional sonar return at speed and will need to work on transducer location. Recently on one of our trips, while looking for artificial reef we found what looked like a dredge pipe, unbroken for roughly 100+ feet, marking good fish. Its not listed on the artificial reef, and when talking to DNR personell, they weren't aware it was there. It probably washed off a barge during a storm, can't wait to dive it, should be loaded with grouper and snapper. Love the unit, very simple menu's that even a caveman could figure out. I've talked with Humm and they are working on a software mod which will enable you to null out the water column, which gives you more bottom view on sidescan. This will be a software upgrade for free I'm told.
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #44
matt888
Matt Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
I put the 997 on my cat a couple of months ago and love it, will never go back to just a conventional bottom sonar. I've built a towfish, but because of these never ending NE winds haven't tried it out yet. I've been finding good structure that we've been motoring over for years, its amazing. I don't get good conventional sonar return at speed and will need to work on transducer location. Recently on one of our trips, while looking for artificial reef we found what looked like a dredge pipe, unbroken for roughly 100+ feet, marking good fish. Its not listed on the artificial reef, and when talking to DNR personell, they weren't aware it was there. It probably washed off a barge during a storm, can't wait to dive it, should be loaded with grouper and snapper. Love the unit, very simple menu's that even a caveman could figure out. I've talked with Humm and they are working on a software mod which will enable you to null out the water column, which gives you more bottom view on sidescan. This will be a software upgrade for free I'm told.
I hope they make the software upgrade for us 797 guys too. The water column view is pretty much useless in my opinion. Might as well just split the screen between side image and 2d radar if you want to see the water column!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #45
DPS

A special thanks goes out to the programmers that unraveled the Hummingbird Side Imaging data and came up with a program to convert/replay the recorded files from the Hummingbird 997 on a PC.

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

Now you can collect the data and go home and review it in comfort. It took me about 15 minutes to download the program and play my first file.

Last edited by DPS; 12-16-2007 at 02:18 PM.
DPS is offline   Reply With Quote