Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Istickfish

Glen-L

Anybody ever build a boat from glen-l plans? I am thinking about building one but would like to know what I am getting myself into. Thinking about starting with a canoe or a kayak, then moving on to a replica 1940s barrelback.
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
jimikinz

Re: Glen-L

I built the boat I have now from plans. Glass over wood. Very similar to some of the Glen-L boats. I wouldn't do it again, but I'm really glad I did it...kinda seems backwards I know.
It was a LOT of work, and a LOT of reading, and quite a few Oops! moments. I can say, take extreme care with the details...laying our electrical, plumbing, etc, was some of the toughest part to design. You have the flexibility to deviate from the plans to put in storage, or anyting like that so its pretty neat to end up with exactly what you want.

Here it is...

Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
zenspearo

Given the current depressed used boat price, I don't think you can build one with quality hardware and come out financially ahead even if you factor in your time at minimum wage (or even $1/hour).

Everything about boat is expensive. Boat parts/components are even more expensive.

Also, as someone pointed out, a LOT of work is right.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
jonahtribe2

check out http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_wood_boats.html
jonahtribe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
jimikinz

You are right on the money Joe...do it for the experience, not to save money.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
cdog
cdog

Yes I have built a 16' Console Skiff from Glen-l. It is a stitch-n-glue design. It is very time intensive but also very rewarding. I was very satisfied with their plans and instructions, they were complete. Ended up with a nice boat, too!

One thing you might want to check before you commit to building is the availability of boatbuilding wood/plywood in your area. I have found that 'local' lumber yards charge twice as much for marine plywood as a boatbuilding lumberyard.
cdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Istickfish

Thanks for all the replies. Building a boat has never been about money for me. I was really just looking for someone who has experience with Glen-L plans.
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

I haven't built from their plans but I have built boats. The ply on frame that the majority of their plans are based on are more time intensive than stitch and glue. They seem like solid boats and I almost bought my most recent boat plans from them but changed my mind at the last moment to build a stitch and glue. I've seriously looked at their Pacific Dory plans as well as Spira International's plans on them too.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to work with: nasty chemicals with fewer wood parts for a faster build; or more wood and fewer chemicals?
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote