Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 09-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
Peter R.
taking a trip, not tak...

a long swim

I went for a beach dive off of Palos Verdes today and saw nothing, so I thought I'd kick on out to the Islands. Hilo was jumping with Ulua! Man, it was a long swim home though.

BTW: Did oui misspel Hawaiin?
Peter R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

No, it's Hawaiian! Should have kicked further over here to Maui, We got some good vis and fish yesterday!!!
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
rogue-diver

Send a message via Yahoo to rogue-diver
I dove at Mokuleia (Oahu) Monday vis was about 30ft or so and the current was ok, got a few kumus, and a few good size nenue. I shot about a 60lb ulua but it cut my line before I could get him out of the cave.

Jeff
rogue-diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Are you eating your Nenue? I've heard they are really touchy as far as how you clean them.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 AM   #5
uluabusta

Eh Stodelle, you one Hawaiian now so if don't know how yet, then it's time you learned to to make and eat poki. The nenue makes better poki than aku or ahi which most people tend to make or buy. This all you need.

1) 1 or 2 large nenue. Fillet then cut into 1" chunks or cubes.
2) Sesame seed oil. About 2 tablespoon per pound of fish meat or to your taste.
3) Shoyu (soy sauce). Same as above.
4) Chopped or bottled (dried) chili peppers. As hot as you want it, remember this goes good with beer.
5) Chopped green or Maui onions.
6) Chopped opihi (optional and just a little is fine).

Mix everything in a large bowl and let chill. It tastes best cold. The nenue already has a strong limu taste so there is no need to add any. This recipe can be used with almost any type of fish. Hope you like it. Aloha bruddah, I read some of your post on the hawaiiskindiver site and you sound like a good man. Take care, dive safe and give me a call if you ever come to Oahu.
uluabusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
rogue-diver

yea poke is good, also sashimi.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

I love Poke, but I heard that Nenue has some really strong digestive juices and that if it hits the meat at all, it is ruined. Is it true? I ask because the guys I went out with said that it's just too difficult which is why they DO NOT shoot them. Perhaps you guys can set me straight.

Hey Ulua Buster....that arm's not gonna get better you keep typing between the 2 boards so much!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
uluabusta

Stodelle,
They probably said that because the guts from that fish is usually really stink but it doesn't seem to affect the taste of the meat. If you do gut shot the nenue just pull out and dump as much of the guts while you're in the water or clean it out as soon as you get to shore. I found that cleaning Kala, Palani, Pualu and Nenue as soon as I hit the beach rather than waiting till later seems to lessen the strong gut smell associated with these fish. Another reason may be that the nenue bleeds a lot and with a strong guts smell that sounds like a good shark attractant. Not a good thing in areas known for tigers.
I think you're confusing me with "uluapounder" on the hawaiiskindiver site. I know him also, good guy, good diver, but he lives in Hilo on the Big Island and he's the guy with the mumu arm. Talk to you later, dive safe.
uluabusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

My bad! Didn't even recognize that one. thanks for the tips. I'll have to do that on my next dive since I know a good Maui spot with some big ole Nenue.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
rogue-diver

Yea, I have never had that problem before, I also try to clean them at the beach in the water, its less of a mess, a tip I got off the Hawwaiiskindiver site.

Whats some of the better places to spear on Maui, Im going to try and get over their next month sometime.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

It's going to depend on the swell pattern of course. last week, the whole island was junk. Then Southside got good. now southside is getting junk swell tomorrow again, so rest of island should be good.

Good areas are West Side-Kapalua, North Side-Maliko gulch, and South- Puu Ola'i (Red Hill)
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
rogue-diver

Thanks bro I will check it out next month hopefuly

Jeff
Old 09-26-2004, 04:13 AM   #13
hilodiver

Send a message via Yahoo to hilodiver
If you guys ever find yourself in Hilo, drop me a line if you want to dive. The weather is changing, and the Hamakua coast will be awsome in a few days! Also gotta catch the Kohala side a couple more times before the winter surf!
hilodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #14
rogue-diver

Hilodiver

I was just over there a few weeks ago, didnt do any diving,my wife came in from the mainland and she wonted to go over. We were only there for two days, would love to get back over there to do some diving. Thanks.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 AM   #15
uluapoundr

Hilodiver,
Howzit, seen you on the other forums. I just moved back to Hilo after being away for years and am looking for dive partners. I've been back for six weeks and only got in one dive. Let me know if you want to do a dive. Two weeks ago, the water looked really nice, but I had no dive partner...sick. I have two friends with boats, but I'm the only diver. We came across a school of mahimahi that wouldn't bite and I didn't have my dive gear, I was more sick. Drop me an email uluapoundr@aol.com.

Stodelle,
I haven't eaten nenue in awhile. While living on Oahu, my friends there were picky fish eaters, "townies". I grew up eating nenue here in Hilo. What I've found is that the flavor of the fish differs depending where you catch it. I've had nenue that is really fishy, and others that was really good. I also found that cleaning the fish good, and removing the skin helps the poke taste better.
uluapoundr is offline   Reply With Quote