Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
bigwill

Question proper breathing techniques ?

I keep hearing the do's and dont's in preparing for a breathe hold dive, I would like to hear the responses of the guys on this board, I am fairly new to the freedive experience( apprx 2 years---comfortable at 40-50 fsw). I was curious on the ritual that you guys practice before making a decent. Shallow breathes? deep breathes? relaxation? time interval between drops????

An old freediver told me to:
1. Get as relax as I can at the surface
2. 3-4 shallow to midline breathes
3. On the last breathe blow out as much air as I can using my Diaphram
4. Inhale as much air as I can, take snorkel out and decend.
5. Decend in a slow controlled motion in order to save air
6. Begin my ascent before I start to feel the need for Air
7. Try to blow bubbles up my entire ascent.
8. Repeat for next dive...

I have been reading alot of the posts here and the group on this board favors safety first and I feel the same, I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, tips, you may have. Thanks .......................................... BigWill

Last edited by bigwill; 07-05-2005 at 08:56 PM.
bigwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
lmk_tampa
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to lmk_tampa
Re: proper breathing techniques ?

I'm no expert, but I follow the exact same pattern except that I don't take my snorkel out of my mouth... I think my technique is flawed though, as I don't exhale in the ascent, which could be dangerous... I just clear the snorkel when I come close to the surface. Every picture I've seen of serious freedivers though, has them without the snorkel in their mouth, so I guess that's the correct way of doing it. I think controlled descent is the most important thing. I also notice that I put the butt of the gun in my shoulder and use my body to push the gun and barely hold the handle (just stabilize). Try to relax your muscles as much as you can.
lmk_tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
SeaBass
shamwow

Run a search on posts by Spearo FLa. He has described a good breathe-up technique before.
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Kyle

Why would you exhale on the way up? I like to hold the air until at the surface, and exhale slowly, not forcing the air out.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
lmk_tampa
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to lmk_tampa

Kyle,

From what I understand, sometimes when you come up too quick air expands in your lungs and thus creates some lascerations that may cause minor bleeding. Blowing air out as you come up will decrease the chances of this happening. This happens often when people "pack" air. I believe ErikY. or Roberto Reyes can give you a good explanation of this.
lmk_tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #6
nickw

#1-Never dive with a snorkel in your mouth, if you were ever to have a SWB(shallow water blackout) you have a direct route for water to enter your lungs. It is common for your jaw to clamp shut thus restricting water flow to you lungs, you definatly dont want to bypass this mechanism with a snorkel. Simply remove the snorkel and descend, it takes 1 second to do so.

#2-You dont need to worry about breathing out on the way up, you pose absolutely no risk to you lungs. This is because you surface with less volume then you start with(mask equilization/ear equilization/some complicated gas exchange laws), but even if you came up with the same volume you couldnt possibly hurt your lungs any worse then the initial breath. Some more advanced freedivers will exhale slowly the last few feet before surfacing, but definatly not 'all' the way up.

The most important thing is to RELAX, there are freedivers who dive on partially filled lungs for training and can descend well over 100ft.

Typical breath up:
1. Relax
2. Relax
3. Relax
4. 3 Partial(2/3) slow controlled breaths using your diaphragm
5. Nice full breathout and full controlled deep inhalation
6. Relax
7. Descend with clear/optomistic mind

On the way up think positively, a few feet from the surfact slowly breath part of air out(maybe 1/4 of total). After breaking the surface take partial breath in/partial breath out/partial breath in/partial breath out. Dont do full exhale/deep inhale, keep it slow and controlled...and if you cant, your pushing yourself to much.

As far as intervals, well the simple answer is as long as possible. Most freedivers double the dive time, but a little more would never hurt.

Good luck, and please dont leave that snorkel in your mouth!!-

Nick

Last edited by nickw; 07-11-2005 at 02:09 AM.
nickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

I know I have a clear description on this board somewhere.

Nick is correct with 1 and 2. As for pre dive breath up, most important is to spend enough time on the surface between dives. At least 2-4 minutes. This slows the heart down and replenishes your gas levels.

I use a 1 minute cycle. For 45 secs. I breath fully inflating my lungs as much as possible and then exhale fully. I try to do each for about 8 secs. thats 8 sec inhale followed by 8 sec exhale. From 45 sec point to about 55 sec I do rapid breathing excercise, that puts emphasis on the exhale and has mini quick inhales. After 2-4 cycles of this or 2-4 minutes before I drop down I take 2 fulll slow deep breaths followed by full exhales. The last inhale is taken, I duck under spitting my snorkel out and taking a swallow to get the air out of my mouth. If done correctly the first swallow sometimes gives me my first clearing of the ears at around 10 ft.

On the way up your body will be screaming for air, most divers have a tedeancy (sp) to tighten up all there muscles clinch down. Fight this urge, close your eyes relax and swim upwards using short little kicks.

Remember, to always dive with a partner. Know your body limits and never push a dive. No fish in the world is worth your life.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com

Last edited by Spearo_Fla; 07-13-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
BigTab99

when u dive you can keep the snorkel in ur mouth but on your ascent about 20ft from the surface SPIT IT OUT. i am more comfortable with the snorkel in my mouth but thats just me. the biggest keys for freediving are relax and heartrate. a good breath should take no less than 8-10secs. fully inhaling and exhaling as much as possible without forcing it. if you force it or do it too fast you will hyperventalate and black out your next dive garuanteed. low volume mask, make sure you know how 2 equalize at depth and make sure your body is prepared for deep dives. it is dangerous and takes practice.
BigTab99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Leaving a snorkel in your mouth makes you use some muscles in your mouth and face. Spit it out in the beginning and your using no mouth muscles to keep it in place during the dive. Thats just my opinion!

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
ErikY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTab99
when u dive you can keep the snorkel in ur mouth but on your ascent about 20ft from the surface SPIT IT OUT.
If you follow the logic that a snorkel in your mouth is dangerous, then you have to take into account the divers who have blacked out somewhere in the middle of the dive, not just on ascent.
So if you're gonna spit (like a few of my ex-wives) , then spit at the beginning of the dive. I've blacked out 3' under water at the beginning of a dive, for example, and know others who've done the same.
Equalising is usually easier without the snorkel in too.
Peace amigos,
Erik Y.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
chasintail
Hell Diver

How the hell do you black out at the begining of a dive?
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
jfjf

probably from breathing up too hard. I've heard of feedivers passing out on the surface before the dive when doing excessive hyperventilations
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
ErikY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail
How the hell do you black out at the begining of a dive?
In my case, from packing too fast before the dive. The expanded lungs restrict blood flow to the brain and you have to ease into it. As soon as I dove, the extra effort and probably the changing of the position of my head in relation to my chest shut me down.

I only pack for really deep dives now, and I'll take up to 30 seconds to do it before diving. With the shallower stuff I typically do up here, I'm usually doing the opposite: diving with less than full lungs, for buoyancy control.

Peace sisters,
Erik Y.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote