Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #31
CuzzA

Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
lmao, when I was young I spearfished off a kayak and I cut out some foam blocks and I was about to make outriggers and everything until I realized that it would look like that photo. So you arnt too far off lol
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #32
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackistre View Post
Funny was just in Venice LA and buddy had a brand new 800$ cell phone booster for his marsh camp. We were only 8 miles from Venices cell tower and you couldn't dial out at all and texts would only go through every one in a couple hours. He bought into idiots online stating they would reach 20-30 miles. They are false facts and don't work. He was sending it back.
Yep, I bought a Wilson and it was next to useless. The radio techs in our IT department warned me but I had try. They explained that cell technology has changed due to rising data demand and FCC regulations limiting signal saturation and trunking overlap. Back in the day I could make calls from 20 nautical and now if you get 10 you are lucky. I guess that quantifies the reason cell towers are so close together now.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #33
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post

I found his boat! Bottom machine? GPS? Radar? Pssshhh... Stupid old technology... He doesn't need that.
I decided to put my old Chart Plotter to the test last night against my iPhone to see if I should just tear them off my boat and use them for wheel chocks and buy a ram mount for my iPhone and get some dash space back. To my surprise my iPhone does a pretty good job using the Garmin Bluechart App but there are no details included in the base app and I needed to buy about $300 worth of maps for where I fish so unless you spend additional money or are good at illegally hacking maps for the tiny phone chartplotter it is just a simple gps. Let's do some more comparisons:

Links to engines to calculate fuel burn: GPS-Yes! Phone-
All engine gauge functions: GPS-:Yes! Phone-
Displays Garmin Radar: GPS- Yes! Phone-
1 KW full chirp sonar: GPS-Yes! [/b] Phone-
Auto Pilot integration: PS-Yes! Phone-
Sidescan sonar- GPS- Yes! Phone-
Downview: GPS- Yes! Phone-
Split screen for multiple ducers: GPS- Yes! Phone-
Full daylight viewable: GPS- Yes! Phone-
Full hard wire networking- GPS- Yes! Phone-
AIS distress via VHF: GPS- Yes! Phone-
MRPA Vessel Viewing: GPS- Yes! Phone-
Satellite Radio and live weather maps offshore: GPS- Yes! Phone-
Mommy on speed dial to report internet bullies- GPS- Phone-

I think I will stick with my old antiquated chartplotters until cell phones catch up.