Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
sfbaysailing

Punta de Mita, MX info?

Hey all.
My girlfriend and i are travelling mexico on a sailboat. After 7 months spearing in the Sea of cortez, we are now in mainland, punta de mita at the moment. Im stoked to finally get some surf, but the wahoo in the fridge is running out and im having trouble finding spots to dive here. Does anyone know this area at all that could provide a little guidance? Thanks for any help!
Greg
sfbaysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
malibujohn

Re: Punta de Mita, MX info?

Are you in Mita, or with all the other sailboats in La Cruz?
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
sfbaysailing

Im in mita, off the panga harbor. Tried poking around el faro yesterday, as well as some reefs further towards la cruz, but couldnt find anything with good structure, vis, and no waves. Just came from isla isabella, wher the schools of wahoo were thick, so im aching to get back in. After here, we are gonna move the boat to la cruz.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Polespearo
Waterman

Hey Greg. Good to see u are already down there! Save me some Tunas

Malibujohn: if you have a chance DO go spearfishing with greg. Great guy in and out of the water. We had a great time when he was here in La Paz
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Gbaldihunter

North tip of the point just up from the 4 Seasons heading towards Litibu has a little bit of structure and shallow reefs. Same with the next point up just short of Sayulita.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I know there are a few underwater seamounts that rise to about 80-100' depth that hold some decent pelagics due WNW of Mita. Not quite on a NW track directly to Maria Madre/Magdalena, I think a little bit more due west. Try asking around the little harbor in Mita. Might be able to finagle some numbers out of those guys. There's also a guy that runs a dive/spearfishing business there. Can't remember his name, but he might be able to help.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #6
Behslayer

Greg, are you Greg O?

I hope you get in touch with Malibu John down there. We are waiting for some reports..
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

How long are you guys staying there? We are flying down on the 17th for a week. If I remember, there is a spearo outfit in town. Maybe they will point you to some spots. Last time I was at el faro, there was a ton of bait action. Did you try the cove just around the point from el faro?.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
pburns2002

Where were you in the sea of Cortez? How was the viz there?
pburns2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
sfbaysailing

Hey guys
Sorry i have been offline for a bit...sailboat internet is not that great

John, yeah this is greg o. Its 630am, and im gonna go meet malibu john in an hour to head out to carbatena. We dove el morro a couple of days ago, and he saw big schools of 40-50 lb tuna, as well as one 80 lb model that swam right under him. I didnt see any of the tuna, but i believe he did bc he was so jazzed to switch out gins for his bug ulusub ....johns a great guy, so if anyone has a chance to come down and dive with him i highly recommend it.

I will gone bu the 17th, heading further south towards barra de navidad. John, however, should be here.

Pburns - i spent all summer spearing around la paz with polespearo (awesome guy, awesome time), and then have been sailing/spearing all over the sea from la paz to guaymas since september. Im on mainland for the rest of spring, then back into the sea for another summer. Hopefully this fall i will be in BOLA, then next year off to the south pacific.

Hopefully later today ill post some tuna pics
g
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Polespearo
Waterman

Expecting FULL report onhat giant snapper!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote