Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
dctrjayyy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tustin, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 197
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
And I can get those three devices which does their job PROPERLY for under $200 and no monthly charges... So yeah, its a piece of garbage.
GPS is cheap

Sat messengers are all over $200 with monthly fee

Emergency locator Beacons are all over $200

You keep talking about cell phone boosters which to your admission don't do shit after 20-30 miles and they are $300+

I'll be happy with my inreach and $12/mo knowing I can go anywhere in the ****ing world and get help. But yeah, its a piece of garbage.

Good luck with your next darwin award bud.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #17
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I guess we have a difference of opinion on being a gentleman and partner. To each his own, I guess. Going on 28 years of wedded bliss and I'm not about to change.

As for cell phone boosters - may have to look into that - I didn't know you could extend the range that much. I'm seeing "up to 60% increased signal" being advertised, but if my signal dies at 8-10 miles offshore, would 60% increased signal allow for coverage 20-30 miles offshore?
It depends on the type and where off shore you are obviously. If there is a tower right on the shore (eg St pete) then the range may be far farther. Plenty of online people report 20-30 miles off shore, agian this will obviously vary quite alot, but for the east coast thats more then enough. Plus certain models transmit 4g, which means internet.

Also 60% increased signal is a broad term and can really mean anything. Not too sure what they mean by that.

Not many people know about it so thats why there is little information is on it. Simply pointing out much cheaper and better alternatives. But since this community still uses antique electronics such as gps charters I doubt it will gain popularity any time soon, but there is a chance.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
CuzzA
Registered User
 
CuzzA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 681
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
It depends on the type and where off shore you are obviously. If there is a tower right on the shore (eg St pete) then the range may be far farther. Plenty of online people report 20-30 miles off shore, agian this will obviously vary quite alot, but for the east coast thats more then enough. Plus certain models transmit 4g, which means internet.

Also 60% increased signal is a broad term and can really mean anything. Not too sure what they mean by that.

Not many people know about it so thats why there is little information is on it. Simply pointing out much cheaper and better alternatives. But since this community still uses antique electronics such as gps charters I doubt it will gain popularity any time soon, but there is a chance.
Well I'll be damned, GPS is antique electronics. Dude, you are so full of shit it ain't funny. A dead giveaway is whenever someone makes a blanket condemnation of a product or technique without consideration of what others may be doing.

You've been one uping every thread since you showed up around here. Do you even spearfish, own a boat, been further offshore than Tampa Bay with the scary sharks? Or did you sign up just to stir the pot in the religion and politics forum and now you're over here telling everyone you know more than them or how they should communicate with their spouses?

Give it a rest, dude. Post some pics of dead fish for crying out loud (if you even have any).
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
jbsrq
Registered User
 
jbsrq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 382
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

rowow is a troll. A quick scroll through his posts during his time here is evidence of that fact. Thanks all for the feedback on the Garmin product, seems like a good back up for a hairy situation.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
Basskrieg
Registered User
 
Basskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Polk County
Posts: 61
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
rowow is a troll. A quick scroll through his posts during his time here is evidence of that fact. Thanks all for the feedback on the Garmin product, seems like a good back up for a hairy situation.


I bought one, seemed like a good price and good peace of mind, thanks everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #21
kmoose
Team Headhunter
 
kmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Slowcala, FL
Age: 53
Posts: 4,004
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Well I'll be damned, GPS is antique electronics. Dude, you are so full of shit it ain't funny. A dead giveaway is whenever someone makes a blanket condemnation of a product or technique without consideration of what others may be doing.

You've been one uping every thread since you showed up around here. Do you even spearfish, own a boat, been further offshore than Tampa Bay with the scary sharks? Or did you sign up just to stir the pot in the religion and politics forum and now you're over here telling everyone you know more than them or how they should communicate with their spouses?

Give it a rest, dude. Post some pics of dead fish for crying out loud (if you even have any).
I say he doesn't have a gps or even a boat to bolt it to (inflatable Sup with Velcro phone holder does not count), a wife or steady girlfriend (or boyfriend to be fair), and quite possibly a speargun.

As far as getting the inReach, I have been considering one for a while but I think Garmin plans on integrating the service into their higher end MFDs with just an antenna. That and my obsessive wife is usually at the helm dropping me on hot ledges beyond cell phone range so my only desire for a text communicator would be to let my friends know how much fun I'm having.
__________________
The Moose is Loose !
"SUPER SPORTY"
kmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #22
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
rowow is a troll. A quick scroll through his posts during his time here is evidence of that fact. Thanks all for the feedback on the Garmin product, seems like a good back up for a hairy situation.
Im a troll for having a different opinion? Thanks SJW for showing how ignorant this forum is.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I say he doesn't have a gps or even a boat to bolt it to (inflatable Sup with Velcro phone holder does not count), a wife or steady girlfriend (or boyfriend to be fair), and quite possibly a speargun.

As far as getting the inReach, I have been considering one for a while but I think Garmin plans on integrating the service into their higher end MFDs with just an antenna. That and my obsessive wife is usually at the helm dropping me on hot ledges beyond cell phone range so my only desire for a text communicator would be to let my friends know how much fun I'm having.
I got a 23' bayliner, but I now am using a jetski due to fuel efficiency and speed. And I do have a gps unit, got it used and really cheap when I first got into boating. I was also very inexperienced in boating so I didnt realize the hypocrisy in having one until I later gotten older. And yes a gps navigator is old school shit... As I stated many times before a phone can do everything a gps navigator unit for a much lower cost. Heck I can even get a dedicating tablet and it'll work much better.

The only devices a boater really needs is a transducer, and MAYBE a radar if you have alot of money and are really dedicated into boating. But now they are making devices that connect to your mobile device, so soon that will be another fad.

But hey man you be you and throw around gay shit and other crap at people for simply having a different opinion! Go show everyone how grown up you are

Have a great day

https://jet.com/product/detail/703a3...AaAtq-EALw_wcB
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Well I'll be damned, GPS is antique electronics. Dude, you are so full of shit it ain't funny. A dead giveaway is whenever someone makes a blanket condemnation of a product or technique without consideration of what others may be doing.

You've been one uping every thread since you showed up around here. Do you even spearfish, own a boat, been further offshore than Tampa Bay with the scary sharks? Or did you sign up just to stir the pot in the religion and politics forum and now you're over here telling everyone you know more than them or how they should communicate with their spouses?

Give it a rest, dude. Post some pics of dead fish for crying out loud (if you even have any).
I'm on this forum stating my OPINION of a product to GET considerations and opinions from OTHER people... Thats the entire point of my being here and discussing about the product... Its called having a different opinion, grow up.

As for the politics section I just corrected some people and acted polite the entire time until the other person started to blatantly lie which I have clear proof of. YOU are the only stirring the pot. I acted in a polite manner simply stated my opinion and the facts. You can disagree thats fine but all I ask for is facts to back up the statements. Instead you throw around baseless accusations and name calls.

At least i'm not the ill tempered child who goes on a rant when he doesn't have anything else to back up his claim. There are very few people on this forum with any maturity, and its quite sad to see humanity reach this point honestly.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #25
kmoose
Team Headhunter
 
kmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Slowcala, FL
Age: 53
Posts: 4,004
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
rowow is a troll. A quick scroll through his posts during his time here is evidence of that fact.
Yep, obsessive back yapper that made it to my ignore list. Funny he was so bent on the fact that I was assuming he or she was gay? I have no idea if rowow is a girl or guy so I was just trying to be politically correct. An avatar would help but at this point I don't have to care about phone toys for jet skis and magical cell phone boosters that allow free movie downloads 50 nautical miles offshore anymore.
__________________
The Moose is Loose !
"SUPER SPORTY"
kmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #26
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Yep, obsessive back yapper that made it to my ignore list. Funny he was so bent on the fact that I was assuming he or she was gay? I have no idea if rowow is a girl or guy so I was just trying to be politically correct. An avatar would help but at this point I don't have to care about phone toys for jet skis and magical cell phone boosters that allow free movie downloads 50 nautical miles offshore anymore.
"a wife or steady girlfriend (or boyfriend to be fair)," < that, I dont care what you assume I just think its childish to bring that as part of your argument. So continue being a PC SJW doesn't change the fact that you are childish.

And I never stated 50, my quoted range was half of that (20-30) LMAO thats seriously sad you cant even get 1 number correct. All you had to do was scroll up a little.

Finally how am I obsessive? I stopped replying to you children for TWO WEEKS and YOU still kept on whining. Like seriously dude please stop you are killing me right now. Im laughing so hard right now honestly I cant handle it lmao.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #27
zackistre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 100
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Funny was just in Venice LA and buddy had a brand new 800$ cell phone booster for his marsh camp. We were only 8 miles from Venices cell tower and you couldn't dial out at all and texts would only go through every one in a couple hours. He bought into idiots online stating they would reach 20-30 miles. They are false facts and don't work. He was sending it back.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #28
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackistre View Post
Funny was just in Venice LA and buddy had a brand new 800$ cell phone booster for his marsh camp. We were only 8 miles from Venices cell tower and you couldn't dial out at all and texts would only go through every one in a couple hours. He bought into idiots online stating they would reach 20-30 miles. They are false facts and don't work. He was sending it back.
Since the minimum range for most towers is 15-20 miles WITHOUT any sort of booster I doubt that has anything to do with the booster... Again, there are many variables that come in play, I posted a website explaining some examples on how varing cellphone signal can be. You could've also accidentally received a defected unit, the tower might have been down or weak that day, so on and so forth. There are SO many thing that can effect signal that its pretty stupid to base your entire case based off 1 test, or a couple. The same goes with satellite messages, there are also many cases and situations which also makes them fail. Which one works better then the other I dont know and there isn't much data and information about it. But no harm in trying something new, and people have been using it on land for a long time now with great success. However since the boating community is 20 years late at doing anything it'll take a while for it to catch up sadly.

As I pointed out with my gps example...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.76aa1a04bbe8
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
CuzzA
Registered User
 
CuzzA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 681
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I say he doesn't have a gps or even a boat to bolt it to (inflatable Sup with Velcro phone holder does not count), a wife or steady girlfriend (or boyfriend to be fair), and quite possibly a speargun.

As far as getting the inReach, I have been considering one for a while but I think Garmin plans on integrating the service into their higher end MFDs with just an antenna. That and my obsessive wife is usually at the helm dropping me on hot ledges beyond cell phone range so my only desire for a text communicator would be to let my friends know how much fun I'm having.


I found his boat! Bottom machine? GPS? Radar? Pssshhh... Stupid old technology... He doesn't need that. Velcro the iPhone to that motor to get to the spots and then he can update Instagram and Spearboard to tell everyone they're doing it wrong, but not after a long day of fishing, though unfortunately the special fishing phone app spots aren't very productive, so these posts are coming from Long John Silvers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	236352  
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #30
rowow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kissimmee
Posts: 163
Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post


I found his boat! Bottom machine? GPS? Radar? Pssshhh... Stupid old technology... He doesn't need that. Velcro the iPhone to that motor to get to the spots and then he can update Instagram and Spearboard to tell everyone they're doing it wrong, but not after a long day of fishing, though unfortunately the special fishing phone app spots aren't very productive, so these posts are coming from Long John Silvers.

lmao, when I was young I spearfished off a kayak and I cut out some foam blocks and I was about to make outriggers and everything until I realized that it would look like that photo. So you arnt too far off lol
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com