Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Olibaba

Spider Crab Question

Afternoon. I was out diving in SD on Saturday and saw a massive spider crab. I wanted to take it home to eat, but didn't want to carry it around with me alive. Are you allowed to shot and kill crabs to prevent them from pinching you on the rest of your dive?

Has anyone else eaten one of these? Any good?

I had a kelp crab recently, and it was decent.

Thanks!
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Castor

Re: Spider Crab Question

I'm with you on the kelp crab but I think when you get done with that sheep crab you're going to find its not worth it. I don't think you can legally shoot them.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Lompoc Local
Errin

Uh oh. Don't talk about sheep crabs dude that's a sensitive subject

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
charzar

No, don't shoot them.

Absolutely worth harvesting one once in a blue moon, if it has some size to it. It's a little bit of work to clean and cook, but that's all part of the joy in harvesting your own food. I've scrubbed the shell/legs with a firm brush to remove the growth and mud before cooking, then wrap the cooked pieces in a towel and tap with a hammer outside to dig the meat out. I made a steak and crab feast for a dozen people from one crab; everyone raved about the crab. Best to harvest if you will be able to enjoy fresh with a group of people, otherwise let them be.
charzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Olibaba

Thanks for the input. This was the largest crab i've ever seen. Some deadliest catch s*&t, but with tons of barnacles on it.

So you can't kill them before exiting the water? I didn't want to swim in and get my nuts pinched off by this thing. Thanks -O
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
charzar

I'm not certain about the legality of killing them in general while in the water, but it would make sense that harvesting must be done by hand similar to lobster or octopus. Fresh seems to be key with crab, so that's incentive enough for me to keep them alive. It definitely helps to have a dive platform or bag/buoy setup with you. Or just hold it by the back legs and call it a dive. If it was littered with barnacles maybe I'd pass, but otherwise just knock them off during the scrubbing process before cooking the crab.
charzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Trace

Great eating!
Knock them on the shell to get there attention. They stick the arms up to protect themselves. Grab them by the arms just below the claw then transfer both arms into one of your hands and you don't have to worry about getting pinched. I have zip tied there arms together (I have done up to 3 big crabs at one time) and then swim back to shore. It's quite the cluster f#@% and funny looking when you walk out of the water but well worth it.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Timinator

I saw one so big out at Boomers Beach it wouldn't fit in the large yellow goody bag. Even if I'd pulled the legs off the body, the body wouldn't fit in the bag. Legs were as big around as my wrist. I was on SCUBA, while standing on the bottom the crab grabbed the tip of my JBJ Sawed off Magnum and I held it up over my head, full length of the gun and my arm overhead and the crab still had legs on the ground/bottom. I was with my buddy, we figured anything that big had to protected, so we didn't take it. I worked with a bunch of marine scientists and none of them said that crap existed that large in San Diego waters. Shows you never to trust "scientists".
Old 02-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Sheep crab have no minimum size limit, just a bag limit. I clean them in the water, saves a ton of hassle and mess. The guts are what makes the meat go bad so after I get home I just throw them in the fridge and they’re fine for many days like that. Best part is you can take a large crab and not have to abort your dive.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
Cameronv
SLOlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
Sheep crab have no minimum size limit, just a bag limit. I clean them in the water, saves a ton of hassle and mess. The guts are what makes the meat go bad so after I get home I just throw them in the fridge and they’re fine for many days like that. Best part is you can take a large crab and not have to abort your dive.
Would DFG or DFW.. what ever the they call themselves now.. give us crap for doing that? I just had a serious run in with them and they were mean as nails, over the smallest beans.. Crept up in the dark and boarded..
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #11
CaliDiverDan

https://endgameofthrones.files.wordp...giant-crab.jpg
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote