Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
diveincanada

Exumas polespear

Hey guys,
I'm about to book a charter in the Exumas(Bahamas) last week of march. Of course, we can't use a speargun so polespear it's gonna be.. Never tried polespear and I'm actually really looking forward to give it a try.. So I'm about to buy one and looking for some suggestions..
I have a mako gun, 100% satisfied so I was looking at their big game polespear wt flopper tip.. It's 7' long if I'm not mistaken...
Is that to big/ to long ?
Should I bring my Float and float line?
Dunno what to expect there... Suggestions anyone ...?
Tks !!!
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
AndrewK

Re: Exumas polespear

hogs, grouper, muttons, other assorted snapper species. cant go wrong with a 7 ft polespear with float/floatline setup. search up bahamas spearfishing on youtube and youll get an idea of what youll be dealing with.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
diveincanada

What do you attach the float line 2 wt a pole spear..? The elastic ?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
hatterasfreedvr

You won't need a float line. Make sure you have a kayak or some sort of floating cooler to put your fish in once you shoot them. Watch a video on Youtube on how to handle, clean, and prepare lionfish before you go. Have a fun trip!
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
diveincanada

I'll be on a charter catamaran and we'll also have kayaks..
I do spearfish but never tried pole spear .. I don't care much about the lion fish.. I want to hunt some bigger fish so I was wondering about using a float line wt a pole spear...?
And I started shopping and most are offering 3 prong .. How does it compare to a regular flopper tip?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
hogs, grouper, muttons, other assorted snapper species. cant go wrong with a 7 ft polespear with float/floatline setup. search up bahamas spearfishing on youtube and youll get an idea of what youll be dealing with.
Yea you tube has a bunch of videos but also a bunch of people shooting all the baby grouper in most of those videos that's pretty imbarresaing going to a place like the Bahamas where there quality fish every where yet people nail a bunch of baby groupers pretty sad!

I wold go with s flopper tip the just in case you find a nice grouper or big snapper
Good luck on your trip in exumas your going to find some pretty dumb fish there so you won't have a problem shooting fish and learning up use the pole spear

Dive safe
Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHT DREAMS View Post
Yea you tube has a bunch of videos but also a bunch of people shooting all the baby grouper in most of those videos that's pretty imbarresaing going to a place like the Bahamas where there quality fish every where yet people nail a bunch of baby groupers pretty sad!
gotta agree with that.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHT DREAMS View Post
I wold go with s flopper tip the just in case you find a nice grouper or big snapper
Good luck on your trip in exumas your going to find some pretty dumb fish there so you won't have a problem shooting fish and learning up use the pole spear

Dive safe
Tks !!!
So I'm looking these models:
Sea Stinger
Riffe
Mako...

I already own a Mako gun, love it, great product. Their pole spear is aluminum.

The other 2 are more expensive carbon fiber models...

input anyone ?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Polespearo
Waterman

Add Gatku to the list, Crist and Ray Odor!!! An then just get whatever you want (you seemed pretty solid on the mako). On the polesepar subforum there is plenty discussion on this subject and in my opinion y all comes down to splitting polespears on the fast ones (gatku, seastinger,riffe,etc) and the heavy hitters (ray's, manny,etc) i havnt used in the water mako's but seeme to me it was on the heavy side but also on the innexpensive.

I believe you will also need to take some spare parts (extra band, extra tips and front sections, etc) i love my polespear with a slip tip (never lost a fish with it)
So if i was in your place i would get 2 polespears or one with 2 front sections. At least a floper, slip tip prefered and ideally a fast one 9ft and the mako 7ft!

I f you are usin float line an buoy whis i allways recomend there are techniques for that too searh and you will find why.

Good luck!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

I like the many puig by Omer just cuz of the weight and it's heavy duty or the crist
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
diveincanada

What about the adjustable clip for the power band on the sea stinger ? Is that just a gadget? I don't see anything similar on other brands... If you have a 7' pole and you wanna take a close shot in a whole, what the technique wt other poles?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
kkeller

I have a sea stinger. They are fast and great for smaller fish, but you will have to replace the tip so bring extra parts for sure. If you have the money Crist is the only way to go. I reccomend a floatline incase you find a bigger fish or diving a little deeper.

contact Ryfish and ask him about his Crist in the Bahamas.