Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
mweber

Question on Pole Spear Selection or Construction for Research Project

Hello. I am currently working on a research project that requires me to collect a number of reef fish species on rigs and other artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico. I will be doing the collecting using scuba and I will use a dip net when I can get away with it.

This may not be possible however, with a couple of my study species (spanish hogfish and sergeant majors) due to size and/or evasiveness. I plan on buying or constructing a pole spear to use when the net is just not an option.

I have a number of questions in regards to this. Would you recommend I buy or construct a pole spear? Which model (in the case of purchasing) or plan (in the case of construction) would you recommend?

Both money and size are issues. Funds are tight for my project, so anything that saves me money is a bonus. I prefer something that is as small as possible as I will already be taking down quite a few pieces of equipment with me.

Thanks for the input.
mweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: Question on Pole Spear Selection or Construction for Research Project

Fold a spear. From neptonics..... you can find thr link here on spearboard. This is exactly way you need for that type of random use purpose . It can be stowed and worn on leg while not in use.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
acteg

There are a lot small fiberglass options that you could carry around without much trouble that will serve your purpose and not break the bank. I had the machine shop at work make me a 3' pole spear out of some scrap aluminum and stainless for a dozen doughnuts but I still had to buy tips (got a 12" Hawaiian flipper and a 12"paralyzer tip for around $25 each shipped). You can buy a small fiberglass pole spear with a paralyzer tip for about $25. Prices goes up a little the longer you get, but still inexpensive. If you want something more substantial linghunt engineer has a nice 3 peice spear for $110, but you still need to buy a tip after that. The fold spear already mentioned is another option but I've never used it.

Mako has some affordable options as well. I've never used one but have handled there travel spear and it felt flimsy. That was from about 10 seconds of handling though so take it for what it's worth. It might be a great product especially for the price.

For scuba, I have a d ring on my hip and a d ring on left shoulder strap. I clip the strap end of my pole spear to the shoulder d ring and then run it through the hip d ring to keep it from flopping around. I keep a piece of flexible irrigation tubing on the pointy end, which I curved at the end like a tickle stick so it can do double duty. Works great while im underwater, just remember to remove it before getting back on the boat.

As far as making the pole spear goes, the materials are relatively inexpensive but you need to have the tools to turn down the base where the elastic band goes through and then the head of the spear where the tip will be threaded. I pressed in and pinned both ends on my spear. The head was machined a thousandth too small though so it has a slight wobble but still works just fine.
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
fishspearit
polespearer

Send a message via AIM to fishspearit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
Fold a spear. From neptonics..... you can find thr link here on spearboard. This is exactly way you need for that type of random use purpose . It can be stowed and worn on leg while not in use.
Thanks for the recommendation Killian, but unfortunately Neptonics doesn't carry the Foldspear anymore. I had inventory issues for a few months last year and apparently that upset Josh. You can still get foldspear here. www.foldspear.com
fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
mweber

Thank you for the suggestions. I am looking into the Foldspear and the Mako Traveler Spear at the moment.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

mweber-

Are you looking to capture some of them alive? or just dead? You might want to consider different types of traps.

The dip net approach? Go into more detail for what you are thinking.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
mweber

linghunt,

Nope, not alive. All of our samples must be collected and kept as vouchers. Unfortunately I do not think traps would be an option, due to the difficulty of reaching any field sites. I will probably only be able to collect one day (maybe twice) on most artificial reefs, so I think I am better off taking an active approach.

The dip net is how my lab does the majority of its collections. They are lightweight and easy to use underwater. We simply catch fish and transfer them to a jar.

The use of a pole spear would be to ensure I can snag anything that maybe a little too crafty for the nets.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

The FoldSpear might be a good choice as you can put it away when doing other stuff.

You might want to think about different tips for different prey.