Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #3031
nwagner91

Re: Santa Barbara Conditions Report "Perma-Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
"I also don't want a bunch of newb lurks going out and killing the baby leopard sharks I saw cruising out there."

Kev - Dude, wake up, you are the "newb lurk". You're hunting rubberlips and opaleyes with a polespear. You spent $130 to go out on the Peace Boat and landed an opaleye and a rockfish. Do you think you're some seasoned veteran who runs this board or something? You actually might since all the "regulars" haven't posted once you started in and it may feel that way....

And don't worry about the leopard sharks, nobody takes those anyways...

Get yourself a 90cm, spend a couple years refining your skills and then come back with some posts.
Even though Kevin may not be taking WSB at this stage in the game, let him dive hard and keep shooting sustenance fish. That's what this is all about anyways. I get his point.... if you post Specific Spot A has crystal clear visibility online, the spot will get hammered because others will just go straight there and not even check other areas. I get where Kev is coming from.

Kevin spent $130 to go to the islands and have a great time, who cares if he shot reef fish. I spend money going out to the islands and come home with just reef fish often.

Keep it up Mr. Little, I appreciate your style brah! Just know that no spot is secret....
Old 06-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #3032
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Don't y'all muthafukka's know how this game work?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How the SB perma-thread works.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	173339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Better Stay Off Sammy's Spotz.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	173340  

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #3033
kevtegr8
Subsistence Hunter

All I'm trying to say is a thread about our area with hundreds of views every day has the potential to blow up a spot. Campus isn't a secret but it sets the precedent if we always post exact locations. The huntible coast has become much smaller since the closures. I can tell that the fish are much more timid at campus than say my secret spot. All it takes is one indiscriminate trigger happy dork to give the fish a healthy respect for humans. Yea I hunt opal eye and I do it with a pole spear, I can still be possessive of my hunting grounds.

But bottom line it is compleatly your choice to post locations, I was just suggesting discression. It's funny not long ago I had the exact same conversation on here exept I was on the other side of the fence. I started calling campus point summer point so people who frequent the thread ( and anybody with a reasonable amount of intelligence) would know what I'm talking about but people from out of town might not want to risk diving a mpa zone. Ya dig?

And FYI the trip on the peace was a gift I received for my birthday. I was hunting wsb I just didn't catch any
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #3034
CabMaster

Couple things:

1. I agree you shoudn't be posting names of spots. It encourages laziness and takes away from the "first come, first serve" idea. Be discreet.

2. In agreement with lompoc local, I post and read this blog for useful
information from longtime local fisherman who know whats up, not to read about how you speared crappy fish that you could train a monkey to catch. I'm sure your facebook friends would be impressed.

3. If your 20 years old and living in IV as a student, I wouldn't start calling
people out as "trigger happy dorks" or "newb lurks" because guess what-
thats you dude. Knock that shit off.

Anyways I'm thankful for all the other locals and friends who have contributed in a productive way. Happy spearing
CabMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #3035
Albondiga
A Harmer

If you guys don't like his posts about opaleye, then don't read them. Pretty odd to get pissed at a guy for getting into this awesome sport and him being stoked on it. Everything is fresh and new when we start, and over time his posts should veer away from "crap fish" and move onto socially acceptable fish.

I enjoy reading your posts, and I feed off the enthusiasm.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #3036
CabMaster

unreal
CabMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #3037
Namor
Goletard

Alright I cant keep my mouth shut any longer.

I dont believe in posting up vis or gamefish reports from specific spots. General location, (south of the Gaviota, in Goleta, central SB etc) is good because it gives the heads up and shares the stoke, with out creating a mob on one kelp bed.

I dont believe in posting good reports using the real name of a spot because it gives too much away to the lurkers here in Santa B who dont contribute but check this thread all the time. I make up my own names with my buddies and change them as need be. For example, recently a poster IDed the specific location of the well known spot a buddy of mine renamed as Leviathans. I will never post another report using that name for the spot.

Any one who contributes to conditions reports with discretion can PM me any time and I will tell you the real name for the spots I reference. Same goes for guys not on the board. The give and take of info by way of PM, text and calls within my group of dive buddies is something Im really grateful for and has landed me many clear days, fish and inverts that I otherwise would have missed

I dont believe in shaming or talking down to guys who hunt any species that end up on the plate. I have known Kevin for over 15 years, and will say right now he is a good guy. In every aspect of his life he's a hard charger and stand up person. He may not land the fish some others do, but he is deserving of the respect and civil treatment that all of us are. Hes the real thing in the spearo/ocean fanatic dept.

Here is a thread I started on this topichttp://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=139467

I shoot oapies and perch too, and hardly any game fish. All kinds of guy who are serious WSB hunters, many too serious to spend their time here, treat me as a peer despite my stringer being all reef dwellers.

I say tell everyone that campus is murky, and the MLPA starts at the Goleta beach parking lot; but by all means shoot me a PM if its clear

Jeremy
Namor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #3038
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
Alright I cant keep my mouth shut any longer.

I dont believe in posting up vis or gamefish reports from specific spots. General location, (south of the Gaviota, in Goleta, central SB etc) is good because it gives the heads up and shares the stoke, with out creating a mob on one kelp bed.

I dont believe in posting good reports using the real name of a spot because it gives too much away to the lurkers here in Santa B who dont contribute but check this thread all the time. I make up my own names with my buddies and change them as need be. For example, recently a poster IDed the specific location of the well known spot a buddy of mine renamed as Leviathans. I will never post another report using that name for the spot.

Any one who contributes to conditions reports with discretion can PM me any time and I will tell you the real name for the spots I reference. Same goes for guys not on the board. The give and take of info by way of PM, text and calls within my group of dive buddies is something Im really grateful for and has landed me many clear days, fish and inverts that I otherwise would have missed

I dont believe in shaming or talking down to guys who hunt any species that end up on the plate. I have known Kevin for over 15 years, and will say right now he is a good guy. In every aspect of his life he's a hard charger and stand up person. He may not land the fish some others do, but he is deserving of the respect and civil treatment that all of us are. Hes the real thing in the spearo/ocean fanatic dept.

Here is a thread I started on this topichttp://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=139467

I shoot oapies and perch too, and hardly any game fish. All kinds of guy who are serious WSB hunters, many too serious to spend their time here, treat me as a peer despite my stringer being all reef dwellers.

I say tell everyone that campus is murky, and the MLPA starts at the Goleta beach parking lot; but by all means shoot me a PM if its clear

Jeremy
Well put
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #3039
KelpOdyssey

I am not saying all that was not important, especially knowing the opinions of your peers and the posting etiquette involved, but I was hoping for a conditions report for the Tajiguas-Gaviota area; I am thinking about diving tomorrow. Also, how was the meeting?
KelpOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #3040
Lompoc Local
Errin

I had a feeling that would draw Jeremy out of his cocoon.

Let me quickly clarify my comments - I am not speaking for anyone else here, these are my thoughts alone.

First, I could give two shits if you mention campus point by name. I don't fish there and it's an extremely popular spot both in terms of beach goers and spearos. I don't have a problem naming a spot that gets that much attention. It's like telling people to go surf Rincon "Yah man, Rincon is firing - you should go hit it with the other 200 guys, it'll be awesome!". The more people that go to campus, the less there will be at my spots. I view it as a kind of sacrificial lamb in a way. Have at it.

Second, my problem with Kev the Great is not what kind of person he is, not even what kind of spearo he is. As Jeremy said, I'm sure he's a stand up guy. Perfect. Obviously, he is a young guy with a lot of stoke and not much cash for gear. I was a student once and I know how that goes - no big deal. Keep pole-spearing rubberlips for all I care. Shit, I take an inordinate amount of rockfish - no denying that - some would say there's no sport in rockfish and no challenge at all. I even agree with that - sometimes I feel a little guilty about it but hey - they make for good tacos and great cat food. When it comes to species, to each his own. I've never given shit to Jeremy about taking reef-dwellers because he is helping his friends with dinner and has a lot of good quality information to share from his experience. I really enjoy Jeremy's posts and perspective.

My problem is this. Kev's frequent posts about undersized crabs and rubberlips are discouraging the people who actually contribute to the value of this thread from posting. Have you noticed that since about 2 months ago, when Kev and some other rubberlippers started posting that the regulars have all but dissappeared? Valuable insight and information from posters such as fish impaler, have2fish, pete j, zbass, and others has dried up completely. If Kev is posting his "summer point" updates, I would bet the regulars feel there is no need to post condition reports or trip reports here anymore. Why would they serve up good intel to guys like Kev? Even Jeremy's posts have slowed down dramatically and he has to be drawn out of his cave in order to post now.

I feel that Kev's presence has led to a de-evolution of the thread and I for one, am bummed about it. While it is totally fine for him to be stoked on spearing a rubberlip in the face or eating urchins in the parking lot (come on now, WTF?) , I don't need to hear about it three times a week. I'd rather hear from those who have some value to add and who are going after game that is somewhat of a challenge to land. That's why most of us are here. To share and get better at what we love - landing quality fish!

Like CabMaster said, you could train a monkey to spear rubberlips and gather urchins and und undersized crabs. That doesn't mean he needs to post about it on a daily basis.

Again, get a 90cm, put in a couple years with Jeremy and come back and add some value to the thread. You could sell that pole-spear and buy a used railgun and it would almost be a push. Your capability in the water would be increased 10-fold.

Anyway, there's my $.02 - Take it or leave it.
Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #3041
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
...Have you noticed that since about 2 months ago...
I understand your point, but correlation does not always equal causation.

About two months ago the water started to warm and clear up and people start to get the spring/summer bug to dive more. So more divers are getting in the water, thus more posts, a post is a post regardless of targeted species. Also a some people have switched over from winter "kill anything, I need some dinner" mode to a more "stealthy" mode. Those divers tend to get a little more tight lipped about when and where they dive. A lot less exact locations get thrown out and you only year about a portion of the fish that they land. You will also notice the same thing around lobster season.

If newbies wanna post, post away, but if you want to be a little more discreet about your location, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Anyways I'm off to go crash around a kelp bed and wrangle a zebra perch for dinner.

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #3042
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

One of my happiest moments of late occurred last night at the sb freedivers meeting. when the group was asked to raise their hand if they were born in SB, all but one hand went straight up. It has been a long time since I have been around that many natives at once. I cannot stand the students, young families, and others who moved here and began referring to themselves as locals. Especially the invaders who have arrived in the last couple years...the santa barbara of today is so much like LA it make me sick...and they dont even realize that they are the problem. As a fourth generation native, i know the truth. I have grown up with the stories of my relatives and understand how thee cockroaches have overrun the streets and turned them to trash.

The problem with these invaders is that they have no attatchment to the community. The call themselves local, but dont have any local knowledge or connections.

When a person is not part of their community, they have no need to protect it or its resources. Things like secret spots, honey holes, and hot tips are passed around these people like a needle at a dope house. Everyone gets a little something from everyone else. By the time saturday morning rolls around there's a 20 boat line at the ramp and naples has a waiting list. There is no respect, no stewardship, and no effort taken to protect what little we have left.

live local, die local. death to invaders. that is all.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #3043
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

Anyone dive today? Looks dark green in Summerland. Gonna putter out to carp reef later to test out my new inflatable boat setup.
Ad Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3044
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
I dove the AM high tide with Android between the Fug and El Cap at a place we call Leviathans. It was quiet with few fishes of any type. Vis was 1-5', cloudy and milky.

I managed to get about 10 nice fat male kelp crabs. There were just a few females about so i left them and their caviar on the kelp. I was hoping to find a halibut or sheepshead crab but struck out.

It was a nice dive despite the poor vis, except for the ass clowns running their boats in the inshore kelp making me nervous.

Jeremy
With all due respect Jeremy. You were the one who "IDed the specific location" of leviathans.
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...leviathans+fug
Ad Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #3045
arice

For some weird reason this thread brought back the memory of the perfect Christmas day at Hammond's when I watched some tweaker scream and curse at Shaun Thompson for being an "outsider" surfing a "Montecito locals spot."
arice is offline   Reply With Quote