Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
Ron S

Rob Allen bands.

My new RA 110 was just delivered today. It came with the standard two 5/8" blue bands. I tried pulling them back to their respective notches, and while I could do it, wow! Those buggers are tight!
I measured the stretch, subtracting the wishbone length. The front band is at 3:1. The back band is at 3.2:1.

I don't mind loading it, but it just seems to me that this is an awful lot of power for an open track, 7mm gun. I'll have to do some target shooting, but is this really the most efficient/accurate band configuration for such a gun?

I'm thinking two 9/16" bands at maybe 3.2 to 1 might be better?
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Rob Allen bands.

The bands will stretch out, so give them some time sitting at full draw on the gun and they will elongate (slightly) permanently. When in the water of course, not on land!
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The bands will stretch out, so give them some time sitting at full draw on the gun and they will elongate (slightly) permanently. When in the water of course, not on land!
Ok, I'm doing that. The wife got a little upset that I didn't at least let her get out of the bath tub before I dumped the loaded gun in, but she'll calm down eventually.

I made up another set of bands this morning. I used some nice soft, snappy 9/16" rubber from Neptonics. I ended up cutting the bands for a 325% stretch. If this rain clears the ice from the lake, I'll jump in and do some target shooting on my days off...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
schwaman

The configurations differ sometimes in different markets, I am used to get the "tuna" comfiguration with 7.5mm shaft and 2x 16mm bands or the "snapper" with 7,0mm shaft and 2x14mm bands.
I' agree with you 2x16 is too much for the 7mm shaft.
2x14 will be super smooth
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
doyenofcastle

it s standards for south Africa manufacture 7 mm spring steel quenched and galvanized with 2 by 16 mm 3.1 and 3.2 ,for me I like to cut it at mean so both 3.15 :1 ,it work great with spring steel however if you replace spear with Stainless Spear its overpowered and not accurate in this case 2*14 may work for less hard spear,this my experiment with rabitech guns
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Ron S

Spearq8 has convinced me to try two 14 mm small ID bands, starting at 3.5:1. If I blow a gasket trying to load them, it's his fault.

I also have a set of soft, standard 9/16" bands made up at 3.2:1. I should mention that I just bought one RA 110, and now ordered another 110 barrel and muzzle. I'm going to use the handle from my little 70 to set up a second 110 for this trip. My son's will be using that. Even though they're both over 6'-1" and strong as ox's, they don't seem to like loading tight bands.

We'll have to do some target shooting and see what we each like best.

Ron.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
popgun pete

Fish make the best targets and maintains interest in young divers, as long as they get results, like food on the plate won with their own efforts. More band horsepower is useful, without going overboard, to tow heavier line to the target when say mono is going to be a problem in sharp bottom environments.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
Ron S

The thing is, all I'm looking for is the most effective power and accuracy combination out to one wrap of line. Massive band power probably isn't the best way to get there.
The boys currently run a singe 5/8" band on their 70's and it works pretty well here in NorCal.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
The thing is, all I'm looking for is the most effective power and accuracy combination out to one wrap of line. Massive band power probably isn't the best way to get there.
The boys currently run a singe 5/8" band on their 70's and it works pretty well here in NorCal.
That is all I run on my home-made "competition gun", so that should be fine.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Ron S

I ordered some small ID 14mm rubber from SpearAmerica. I ordered it Wednesday morning off the website. Ordered black. Within an hour of placing the order, Petros called me. He asked if I wanted blue instead to match my RA gun. (Said he knew what I shot from Spearboard). The blue arrived Friday. Absolutely amazing service!!!

Anyway, I cut the bands to 350% just using the slot to notch length times two divided by 3.5 method. This rubber seems consistently stretchy. In other words, it doesn't seem to hit a "wall" at a certain point like some stuff I've used. Pretty easy to load.

Can't wait to try it out, especially compared to the stock band setup. Just need some warm weather first...