Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
DjZeff

Smile Has anyone dove the nearshore artificial reefs off of Stuart?

Looking through the martin county artificial reef website when i found the location of 3 artificial reefs in 22 feet of water. They extend up almost to the surface to 7 feet and would be perfect for a beginner freediver like me. They are about 1000 feet off of tiger shores. Has anyone been there? According to the website there are porgy, sheepshead, and hogfish there.
In the pink there is nearshore section

http://www.martinreefs.com/pages/nearshore_a/map.html

has anyone been there that can tell me how it is?
DjZeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
JustinThiery

Re: Has anyone dove the nearshore artificial reefs off of Stuart?

I believe you are refering to the nearshores- A, B, and C. I've hit those a few times with no luck. Seen mostly snook, or undersize fish. For some reason, the vis is very poor there most of the time as well. Good luck
JustinThiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
DjZeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThiery View Post
I believe you are refering to the nearshores- A, B, and C. I've hit those a few times with no luck. Seen mostly snook, or undersize fish. For some reason, the vis is very poor there most of the time as well. Good luck
Im hoping to go at high tide when the vis should be alright theres a video of some scuba divers there and theres some good looking fish to spear but its from within a year of the reef being put in. Id go to the wreck off of greg normans but i cant stay at 30 feet very long; I just started freediving.
DjZeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
AndrewG
snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjZeff View Post
Im hoping to go at high tide when the vis should be alright theres a video of some scuba divers there and theres some good looking fish to spear but its from within a year of the reef being put in. Id go to the wreck off of greg normans but i cant stay at 30 feet very long; I just started freediving.
Take a freediving class! You could be hitting 60 - 100 ft and doing it safely.
In this area, most of the decent reef is deeper. Good shootable fish are scarce on the nearshore stuff, but it can be done. Or, head further North to Ft Pierce or Vero, but the visibility is the wildcard. The Norman wreck is just a great dive when the vis is good, but it's usually populated with snook and goliaths. Finding it from shore would be tough unless you have gps.

Good luck and dive safe!

www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
sbh

you can shoot a bunch of mackeral off the nearshore reefs abc at right time of year. Then again at 'right' time of year you will have some decent bulls checking out that mackeral oil in the water. Never know unless you try
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
stuartfLspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Take a freediving class! You could be hitting 60 - 100 ft and doing it safely.
In this area, most of the decent reef is deeper. Good shootable fish are scarce on the nearshore stuff, but it can be done. Or, head further North to Ft Pierce or Vero, but the visibility is the wildcard. The Norman wreck is just a great dive when the vis is good, but it's usually populated with snook and goliaths. Finding it from shore would be tough unless you have gps.

Good luck and dive safe!

how old do you have to be for that course??
stuartfLspearo is offline   Reply With Quote