Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
jfjf

bye bye 2/3 of your snappers

Proposal to cut your catch to less than 1/3 of current AND increase size...They couldn't try either measure- they are going for both.

Commercials will still get 300 lbs a day during the spawning period.. and UNLIMITED for the rest of the time..You get 3 - they get 300. seems fair..

http://m.myfwc.com/media/3801380/15B...tonSnapper.pdf

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: bye bye 2/3 of your snappers

I actually agree with the changes. 10 mutton snapper per person always seemed absurd to me, especially when the bag limit for grey snapper is 5 per person.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Keysdivers

About Time. Long Overdue
Old 06-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
Shorediver

Its about time!
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I don't dive much on that side but 3 seems very reasonable. I know we are going to a 16" to the fork on Hogs over here and I think that is a responsible move as well.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Shorediver

This law is very reasonable indeed, especially considering the mutton snapper fishery overall isn't as good compared to a decade or so ago. The hook and line charter boats don't help much either since these boats are filled often with 10 or more fishermen who can potentially keep 10 muttons each, and these boats are constantly fishing every week if the weather permits. Yellowtail snapper is another fish that is hit hard and the regulations need to change to improve the yellowtail snapper fishery. Changing the regulations on grouper has worked very well, so there might be hope for these new regulations for mutton snappers.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

I agree with Jim... his point is not about preserving the population, but that the commercial guys still harvest the same quotas. By acknowledging that Mutton populations are declining, wouldn't it make sense to make changes across the board, not only to the recreational sector? I also agree that 3/person/day is reasonable, the commercial harvest should also be adjusted if true preservation of the fishery is the goal.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive4bugz View Post
I agree with Jim... his point is not about preserving the population, but that the commercial guys still harvest the same quotas. By acknowledging that Mutton populations are declining, wouldn't it make sense to make changes across the board, not only to the recreational sector? I also agree that 3/person/day is reasonable, the commercial harvest should also be adjusted if true preservation of the fishery is the goal.

Agreed, if there's so much pressure (and there is) why not cut back commercial harvest significantly? I don't mind taking less, we always do, but if there's earnest concern...commercial take should be significantly cut as well. It's BS. What happens in a few years when they limit us to one, and the commercial limit remains the same? And then another few years when we can't take any and commercials still are taking 300lbs a day.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
Totoop

In a state like Florida with SO many recreational fishers, the annual recreational harvest probably far surpasses the commercial harvest on a lot of game fish. That is certainly the case up here in New England with some species. Although it sucks to have your recreational limit cut so drastically, it would suck a lot more if you were directly reliant on that limit for income like the commercial guys are.

That line between commercial and recreational fishing of course can get blurred in a state that has a huge tourism industry....do charter boats have a similar cut? Do they have their own regs? Going the tourism route though, you would have to be able to show that the cut to the recreational limit is going to stop/impact the amount of people coming to FL to fish recreationally....which can get very complicated and isn't so straight forward.
Totoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Keysdivers

Unless you live here and see the "recreational abuse"of the Mutton rules there is no way you all can knowledgeably discuss what should be done.
"Recreational fisherman" hammer the Muttons day and night during spawning season.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Totoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdivers View Post
Unless you live here and see the "recreational abuse"of the Mutton rules there is no way you all can knowledgeably discuss what should be done.
"Recreational fisherman" hammer the Muttons day and night during spawning season.
Can't tell if you're telling me to shut up because I don't live there or if you're agreeing with me, because it kind of sounds like we partly made the same point.
Totoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Oldenred

I'm all for reasonable regulations but the commercial guys need to get hit on this as well. We have to stop using the ocean as if it can feed the whole world because it has proven it cannot sustain that. If we add in the economic effect of commercial vs. recreational hands down recreational guys bring a much larger economic impact to local areas. I'm not talking about charter boats in this, strictly those who sell to the markets. If we limited that it would give us the effect that we want. I have seen the effects time and time again of commercial guys sitting on an area and catch everything then move to another area and do it all over again. That needs to stop.
Oldenred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
kwyoungspear

Did any of you guys read the proposal? It sets limits on commercial harvest...
Old 06-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Did any of you guys read the proposal? It sets limits on commercial harvest...
You get 3 - they get 300. seems fair..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #15
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
You get 3 - they get 300. seems fair..
Technically I get the 300 since I'm commercial.

You're also manipulating the numbers. Commercial guys get 300 POUNDS, not 300 fish. Not to mention their is already a commercial limit during spawning season which is being cut. We now can only get 3 per person May-June.

We get 3, you get 3. Sounds way more than fair.