Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Tailfisher17t

Silly question but didnt know where to ask it.

i have 2 shafts that I wwas wonder if I could re purpose them into stringers and how does it. OR if someone was able to re cut the for euro (that part is wore out from use) and weld fin tabs on them.

2nd question is where can I buy 357 PPD's?

TY everyone.
Tailfisher17t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
jbsrq

Re: Silly question but didnt know where to ask it.

Lots of people bend old shafts in to hoop stringers. I imagine they must heat them to do it though as the shafts I shoot are pretty darn hard. I doubt you would be able to recut them for euro.

Not sure on the 357 PPD's but I know Redtide Spearfishing sells 223.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
Lots of people bend old shafts in to hoop stringers. I imagine they must heat them to do it though as the shafts I shoot are pretty darn hard. I doubt you would be able to recut them for euro.

Not sure on the 357 PPD's but I know Redtide Spearfishing sells 223.
Cheese n Rice, that's huge Pompano in your avatar. I've lived around the area my entire life and haven't managed to land something like that. Do tell, how/where did you catch that? New pass?

Oh, not to hijack the thread...yes, heat will do the trick.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
jbsrq

It's actually a permit with a bunch of yellow color on the bottom. Shot on a wreck in 80' off Sarasota. You can tell from the dorsal and anal fins. It was weird as when I first got it in the boat it had hardly any yellow on the bottom and looked much more like a permit but turned more yellow after being on ice for a bit. I'll see if I can find find the pic of it in the boat.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
It's actually a permit with a bunch of yellow color on the bottom. Shot on a wreck in 80' off Sarasota. You can tell from the dorsal and anal fins. It was weird as when I first got it in the boat it had hardly any yellow on the bottom and looked much more like a permit but turned more yellow after being on ice for a bit. I'll see if I can find find the pic of it in the boat.
Thanks for the clarification. It makes much more sense now. Gawd, I was thinking such a HUGE Pompano.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
jbsrq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It makes much more sense now. Gawd, I was thinking such a HUGE Pompano.
Would be wayyyy more impressive if it was a pompano vs an average permit.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I make my own stringers from bent shafts and never use heat as I have in the past and lost the "spring" that a good stringer needs. All you need is a really good vice, hammer, and a model of what you want to make. My favorite stringers are old Rob Allen shafts.

As far as re-notching an end... It can be done with bench grinder, a dremel tool disk and some patients. Go slow and test often in the gun. If you take too much metal you have to start over again.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Tailfisher17t

Kmoose, could I ship them to u and pay you to fix the 1 and make a stringer out of the other??
Old 12-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

In an attempt to get back on question, try to time your trip during a full moon. They, and most reef dwellers are very active at this time. That's one reason that the early morning hours of daylight at the time of the full moon are usually poor producers. They've fed all night. We used to have a saying about a full moon: great for fishing, bad for frogging. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Tailfisher17t

not sure if that was getting back to my question.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
In an attempt to get back on question,
?? It's OK, yea...been there, done that. Thanks for the input that I was wanting from another thread though.
It does help and makes sense. SO, I'm thinking that a strong tide at 1am after a days' lull will be having the gags' hungry...especially when they've been on the move. Sincerely appreciate the input.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #12
rowow

Depending on what type of shaft you got you should easily be able to stick it in a vice and bend it using the length as leverage. use a piece of pipe once you reach the end for better leverage. If its hardened steel for some reason you can take a propane torch and heat it. Or just shoot a large grouper and i'm sure he will bend it into a loop.

But i'm sure there would be some folks that would be glad to take it off your hands including me, as stringers are really cheap but shafts can be used for more then a metal loop.

As for attempting to turn it into a euro shaft, go for it! If you have the capabilities of welding stainless steel, which would require a tig welder. Or ask a local weld shop and they should be able to do it for cheap
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #13
Tailfisher17t

its 6mm spring steel. I love the shaft it just fires randomly when I double band it. so its not safe anymore and the euro cut is very worn.

as for shooting groupers, I shoot them and big ajs but my gun with the 6mm punches all the way through. hince way I changed over to 7mm and 7.5mm shafts. its a mares carbon speed 120 with double thick / short bands.