Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
BosnianSpearo

Sri Lanka spearfishing?

Hey!

About to plan a 2 week spearfishing trip in february-march 2017.
Looking at Sri lanka.

Anyone got info about spearfishing overthere?
Names of people who can take out for pelagics?
Hows the shore diving, much murky?

Any info is pleased.

Regards!
BosnianSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
MichaelT

Re: Sri Lanka spearfishing?

Hey buddy, I'm the same, looking to spearfish there in April.
If you get any hint for there let me know, I got no idea at all.
Cheers
MichaelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
FrogDiver

Hey Fellas, I was just in Sri Lanka in September....

Spearfishing there was pretty good, unfortunately it's illegal.

I was in a unique situation that I allowed me to bring my guns into the country but I wouldn't risk flying in there on commercial air with them.

If you manage to sneak your gear in some way, watch out for the locals reporting you if they see you with a gun. You'll get your gear confiscated and a summons to see the local magistrate.

Not sure if this will deter or motivate you so...

Shore diving is good, water is crystal clear in the NE, but that season is almost over as the trade winds will change and make the seas very rough. All the tourism picks up and swaps coasts with the seasons. I believe the better viz is now in the SW.

I shot lots of large parrot fish and blue fin trevally. I heard of Wahoo and Mahi off the coast further but wasn't set up for pelagics.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FrogDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
MichaelT

I can maybe try a spear pole ? I got all the equipment for pelagic and so. But I wouldnt like my gear to be picked up and **** up my holidays for that.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
FrogDiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
I can maybe try a spear pole ? I got all the equipment for pelagic and so. But I wouldnt like my gear to be picked up and **** up my holidays for that.

You might not have much luck with a pole spear close to the shore, getting that close to the grouper and parrot fish there was difficult. They're skittish. There's plenty of lion fish though. They're pretty tasty, just mind the barbs.

I'd recommend a travel pole spear if you must. Mako has a cheap 7'er that breaks down small, has lots of top options and starts at $40, were you to lose it. Mind you, they also confiscate things like fins, masks, etc. So the price could add up quickly.

If you're still gung-ho, buy a cheap used gun and take equipment you won't pull you're hair out over if it's confiscated. There are locals who spearfish and they will buy guns and equipment from you for nearly double their retail. Most of them are using ancient equipment.

If you're talking about a pelagic pole spear I can't offer much advise. I didn't get the chance to go out for open water. However, as a pelagic pole spear fisherman myself, I wouldn't risk losing that much gear. That's something you'll have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

PM me if you've got more questions and I'll answer what I can for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FrogDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
MichaelT

Thanks man, I got a Gatku 9 ft with carbon shaft, I like it but more for pellagic than shore diving. I live in HK and we can't fly in or out of the country with a speargun so I guess I'll have to look for something there or ship the gun from one of a friend shop.
Anyway, if no spearfishing I'll still go diving or something.
If not I'll change destination !!! haha