Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Ron S

Re: Mako predator pro 70cm needs more power!

My main gun for here in NorCal is a 70cm RA. I've played around with about every band combination there is, from a single 3/4", to a single 5/8", to two 5/8", cut to different lengths, etc. Also tried the 6.5 mm shaft vs. 7 mm shaft.

Here's what I've learned works best for me: A 7 mm shaft carries more energy, that is to say, hits the end of a single wrap, harder than a 6.5 mm shaft with any given band. Thinner mono, or braided line, offers less resistance but tangles easier in the bands than 300# mono.

The most powerful setup I've found, and what I settled on, is the stock 7 mm shaft, a single wrap of 300# mono, and two 9/16" bands cut to a bit over 350%. Might sound strange, but the nice soft black over amber rubber sold by Neptonics seems to work better than thicker bands or harder to stretch stuff. Thicker or stronger rubber caused a lot more felt recoil, but the shaft doesn't seem to hit the end of the line as hard and is harder to shoot accurately.

In the end, I think there's only so much power you can get out of a 70 without going down that darn "roller gun" rabbit hole...

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO Spearguns View Post
dive safe,
dano
Hey dano

I have a Predator pro 3G, 80cm, one single 20mm band ('medium' force whatever that means) , open muzzle with shark teeth on a 120cm spear.
No complain about it, but I have 2 questions.

1) I have to admit that I chose a 20mm band for no other reason that I am European and it reminds me of my old Beuchat that had a 20mm too, but for the predator 80cm, I have no idea if the 20mm band was the best choice (vs 16 or 14.5mm) . According to what I read in this section, it may not have been. Perhaps you could give some infos about these issues on your site.

Anyways my intention was to add perhaps a second band, but does it make sense to have such power on a 80 cm barrel, with rail perhaps, but still ?
(I ask because I want to be sure my spear can go through a striped bass, if I see one, so far all I got are smaller fish like Tautogs and obviously one band is enough, but a Bass ?)

2) I see that you sale 'Custom Made Latex Bands' (closed loop with the dyneema on) on your site, but I don't understand how I could set them on my predator. The band has to be open so that I can insert it through the hole, that 's the way I see it. How else ?
It just not about having a second band on the gun, my dyneema has a few broken strings, since I do jetty spearfishing in NJ, it is very abrasive for all the gears.

Thanks, BTW I can confirm that you have a great customer service.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #18
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Ric:

We do not recommend an additional band when you are using the fat 20 mm latex. Most likely an extra band will cause excessive kick, especially on a short gun. This will affect accuracy as well.

There are many options for band selection and you can use two smaller diameter bands if you like. There are a variety of opinions about the best configuration for a particular gun and application.

The muzzles with a closed hole configuration do require that the band be tied after installation. If you don't want to use the basic wishbone and tie it, we have wishbone adapters that can make it a little easier if you order the band with them.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Stainle...ts-p/msswi.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #19
Ric

Thank you. That answers my questions.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #20
stefpix

I have the Mako 70 and seems pretty powerful to me.

I am a beginner so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt. I caught a 24 " 8 lb Tautog blackfish (60 cm 3.7 kg fish). pear went all the way through.

got the 2 16mm band version, open muzzle. I am getting the impression that it is more accurate using one band, with 2 it seems to have more recoil.
Since shafts have 2 shark fins / notches I am wondering if the single 20mm band may be more accurate ultimately, and yet possible to have a lower power option.

I have the open muzzle version, as CS rep told me closed muzzle is not available anymore.
Closed muzzle may be faster to load by rocky jetties with waves and current, although I am fine loading open muzzle ( i bet off shore it is better).

Overall I am happy with the Mako.

I wish it had a slot / opening in the band hole to it would be quick and easy to replace bands on the fly without having to tie constrictor knots.
stefpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #21
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Thanks for the positive feedback on the MAKO gun.

An 8-lb Tog is a respectable fish!

You can use one 20 mm band and power it down a little by loading only on the closer notch/fin, but using two thinner bands, and only loading one band is more effective at powering down the gun.

Even on a simple gun like a short railgun, there are differences in opinion on the best rigging/configuration.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote