Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Seadive1

Arrow Ginger Breads off of Bimini, Bahamas

Looking to spend the night out anchored over the Ginger Breads in the Bahamas in an open-fisherman this upcoming weekend for one night - we would be clearing customs and abiding by Bahamian fishing regulations.

My post is to ask if anyone has done this?

Is it safe to anchor out there, ARGH there any Pirates to worry about or would the main concern be the passing boats?

If anyone has any advice/experience, it would be appreciated.
Seadive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
HurricaneBK

Re: Ginger Breads off of Bimini, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadive1 View Post
Looking to spend the night out anchored over the Ginger Breads in the Bahamas in an open-fisherman this upcoming weekend for one night - we would be clearing customs and abiding by Bahamian fishing regulations.

My post is to ask if anyone has done this?

Is it safe to anchor out there, ARGH there any Pirates to worry about or would the main concern be the passing boats?

If anyone has any advice/experience, it would be appreciated.
It's pretty exposed out there so if a storm does come through at night you have no protection. Other than that you should be ok, great diving and not a lot of people out that way.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
Seadive1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
It's pretty exposed out there so if a storm does come through at night you have no protection. Other than that you should be ok, great diving and not a lot of people out that way.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, storms are definitely a concern especially with the current weather report. Will update with pictures/video if we go!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
snapper1

There are some great rocks out there full og hogfish lobster and rock hinds! I have loaded my boat every time we venture out there. I have spent the night out that way and never had an issue. Nothing like waking up at the crack of dawn and just jumping in and shooting some hogs!

I have heard of one story on Spearboard.com where some guys were out there and they got there fish all taken by some Bahamian Defense people. The fishermen were supposedly in the right but nothing they could do but comply...
snapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Seadive1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
There are some great rocks out there full og hogfish lobster and rock hinds! I have loaded my boat every time we venture out there. I have spent the night out that way and never had an issue. Nothing like waking up at the crack of dawn and just jumping in and shooting some hogs!

I have heard of one story on Spearboard.com where some guys were out there and they got there fish all taken by some Bahamian Defense people. The fishermen were supposedly in the right but nothing they could do but comply...
Snapper1, thanks for the info/experience. Love the idea of waking up and sliding right in on top of the hoggies but we still aren't 100% sure whether we are going to do it due to the predicted stormy weather. Nothing like being 30 miles off shore in the middle of a lighting storm

Regarding the story of the Bahamian Defense people. I had done some research prior to posting and came across the story you are talking about by XXXFishingteam. The guy called in a complaint and from the rest of the stories I have read about spearing in the Bahamas and coming in contact with the defense no longer have had this issue. It seems that people are getting "Spearing too" or similar written on their permits so that this can be avoided. Despite what everyone said, that he would never make a difference with the complaint, I truly think it worked (more fish for us ).

Thanks again for posting and if anyone has any more stories/help, would love to hear it.