Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Diverboy067

Powerhead holder

I have a power head, but have never carried it with me because I haven't found a method to carry it that makes me comfortable. There has only been one instance where I would have thought about using it anyways, but with the recent uptick in shark activity and their heightened aggression, it would be nice to have if needed. Where or how do you carry one? I have seen people with some type of holder on their gun and I have seen a few with an elastic type band around their arm. I would like something that keeps it out of the way, but easily accessible if needed. Interested to see what others are using and how it works for them.
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Powerhead holder

Go to Home Depot and buy the velcro kit. It is two rolls of 2" wide velcro with self stick backing on them, (one hook one loop). wrap one (say the loop) around the power head, and have someone sew the other one ( the hook) to the forearm of your wetsuit. Now you can carry two or three power heads and have fast easy access to them.
It is important to use the brand name velcro, for generic hook and loop looses allot of holding power underwater...I don't remember the % of loss, but it is High!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Diverboy067

Yeah, I don't like that option so much....

I prefer to have a little more secure (at least in my mind) method than just velcro'ing it to my arm and hoping it doesn't get knocked off.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
CuzzA

Shotgun shell type holsters work okay on the forearm, but I learned from experience you really want one side closed to form more of a pocket.

My first setup...

Another option is to make a holder out of a block of hard rubber that you can screw to your gun. This works well, but attaching to the gun was a little troublesome since you have to screw through the holder. Though it did work perfect and I still have it in the dive bin.

I made a couple holders out of a true PVC wye fitting and then capped some rubber tubing inside to give it some grip. It took a bunch of time to build, stain the PVC and get the perfect fit. Remember you always want to test fit anything you build while it's wet.

Alternatively, pipe clips from Amazon or home improvement stores could provide a nice clip, but I doubt they would be as secure as a pocket/sleeve style holder.

The simplest solution is to just go to SpearGods and buy a couple of Rich's premium 7.62x54R powerheads with a mounting clip. Though it is just one clip. And we all know one is none. A bonus though is zee Russian surplus ammo already comes pre-sealed for depth.

https://speargods.com/products/re-us...tection-device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_152700.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	243467  
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverboy067 View Post
Yeah, I don't like that option so much....

I prefer to have a little more secure (at least in my mind) method than just velcro'ing it to my arm and hoping it doesn't get knocked off.
That's because you have no experience with it. I install this system often, and no one has ever lost a power head, it is Very secure,yet readily accessable. Picture a length of velcro, say 8 inches long, sew down four inches to the forearm of the wetsuit, the other four inches are sewn to a piece of neoprene "backing", that flap folds over so the power heads are trapped top and bottom, between velcro.
I am not trying to drum up business, I have plenty of repeat customers, so do it yourself or get someone local...or not.. I don't care, I was just trying to help.
K.I.S.S.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Diverboy067

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
That's because you have no experience with it. I install this system often, and no one has ever lost a power head, it is Very secure,yet readily accessable. Picture a length of velcro, say 8 inches long, sew down four inches to the forearm of the wetsuit, the other four inches are sewn to a piece of neoprene "backing", that flap folds over so the power heads are trapped top and bottom, between velcro.
I am not trying to drum up business, I have plenty of repeat customers, so do it yourself or get someone local...or not.. I don't care, I was just trying to help.
K.I.S.S.
I'm not quite picturing how this is supposed to look, do you have a pic? Are you saying that you basically make a pocket for the powerhead and the velcro is used to close the pocket around it?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
SEATUX

No.
I have no idea how old you are, but in the late 70's I started making wetsuits. In 1980 I incorporated the name Seatux. About that time most suits had "beavertails" do you know what that is? It was a flap of material attached to the back of the jacket that came up between your legs and attached to the front of the jacket with "twist locks". Eventually that gave way to a better idea, Velcro..but a layer of velcro on the back side of the suit, connecting to a layer of velcro on one side of the beaver tail didn't always hold well. so that was improved upon with the "gator grab" which was the same idea, except now there was velcro on both sides of the beaver tail and a flap on the inside of the suit top that captured the beaver tail as if a gator were chomping down on it...and that was a HUGE success, it NEVER failed to hold. THAT is what these power head holders were inspired by.
Pictures?
Sure..PM me your E Mail and I will shoot you some pictures.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
popgun pete

The Velcro knock offs have melted mushroom ends instead of many tiny hooks that catch in the opposing loops. It works just like Velcro, but as you tear it open the melted blobs progressively bust the loops that they are caught in. Over time the loops turn into a shaggy carpet as they all get broken and the holding power is then zilch.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Just tuck it in your wetsuit sleeve.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Marco

Quote:

Pictures?
Sure..PM me your E Mail and I will shoot you some pictures.
Could you please share them here?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Could you please share them here?
I have never learned to post pictures...but Diverboy067 certainly has my permission to post those I E Mailed to him...or.. you can PM me and I will E Mail them to you also.
( and then you can post them!)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Diverboy067

Quote:
I have never learned to post pictures...but Diverboy067 certainly has my permission to post those I E Mailed to him...or.. you can PM me and I will E Mail them to you also.
( and then you can post them!)
Sorry, I don't know how to post them either. But thanks for the pics.....
Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
SEATUX

Marco, Check your PMs
I had a problem with your E Mail address, Just E Mail me and I will get the pictures to you.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Marco

I'll post the pics.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote