Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
North Star
Max

Re: Oregon spearfishing

Jason - The 7mm suit will be fine. Hope somebody can take you out. Weekends and wednesdays are bad for me, but I would be glad to loan you a gun if you need one. I live a two hour drive from Portland and a two hour drive from the coast as well, but on occasion I go to Portland, so maybe I can drop one by if it all works out.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
dive-aholic

NS. Thanks for the welcome. Too bad you cant go weekends or weds. Those are my only days off from internship. I hope there is someone to head out with. I would love to explore what oregon has to offer. I have everything but the gun. Even brought my dive lights.

Where are the general areas people hunt? More along jetties or open ocean? Also, is it possible to go for dungeness crabs?
dive-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
North Star
Max

PM sent.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
fishnstix
feesh killah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive-aholic View Post
Aloha guys. I am staying in the portland area for about a month and a half. I have my so cal dive gear with me with a 7mm suit. Is that enough? I would love to try diving here in oregon if you guys are willing to let me tag along. I have been freediving for 5 yrs or so and am comfortable in 40-50ft so I wouldnt be a burden. I didnt bring any guns however and would have to buy/borrow one. Please let me know if you guys ever need a dive partner. I am off on weekends and wednesdays. Thanks!

Jason
dont dive with jason, he's no good.
fishnstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive-aholic View Post
NS. Thanks for the welcome. Too bad you cant go weekends or weds. Those are my only days off from internship. I hope there is someone to head out with. I would love to explore what oregon has to offer. I have everything but the gun. Even brought my dive lights.

Where are the general areas people hunt? More along jetties or open ocean? Also, is it possible to go for dungeness crabs?
Aholic- Welcome to the PNW! You come during a rough (literally) time of year. Breaks in the weather are getting less frequent. Luckly there are places to go that offer some shelter. Weekends and sometimes Wednesday afternoons ARE possible for me depending on work and family. Hit me up if the weather looks good, I may be able to go.
I don't have a spare gun to lend but I have no problem trading off. Also craigslist offers deals sometimes (eg. http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/2676953556.html), it's where I picked up mine.

As for where to hunt, the common knowledge places are typically jetties and bays. Off-shore typically requires boat/yak and cooperative weather. From your location, Tillamook or Netarts bay are probably your best bets. I dive both and have success with lingcod, black rocks, dungies and occasional scallops. Further out would be Newport or even Neah bay in Washington if you're willing to drive. Hope we get a chance to dive!
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
dive-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnstix View Post
dont dive with jason, he's no good.
You mind your business over there in PV!

Winklecl...
North Star said he might have a gun that I could use. I just gotta give him a call later this week when I am not too busy. I have no idea what the good days are, and dont know much about checking the oregon weather. But like I said, wed and weekends are my off days. I am down to go anytime on those days. If its not too much for you to remember, let me know when you are going. I am willing to drive anywhere. Heck, make the trek to go diving with fishnstix every other weekend. That pretty much means I am crazy. lol.

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it.
dive-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
orspearo666
Water wolf

hey guys im kind of new to this forum... i signed up a long time ago and just never confirmed registry. anywise, im a freediver and im looking for guys to go with in oregon. im very mobil up and down the coast. right now all ive got is a polespear but im getting a gun soon. had to rebuy all of my gear (sold it right after highschool... awful mistake). anyway if anyone out there needs a dive buddy just send me a pm and i will send you my contact info!
orspearo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
orspearo666
Water wolf

i know its the middle of the week and such but come on guys! also, beer would most certainly be provided post dive.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orspearo666 View Post
i know its the middle of the week and such but come on guys! also, beer would most certainly be provided post dive.
It's not that no one wants to dive with you (in fact you'll find that most people here will go out of their way to accommodate a new diver). It's just that conditions are poor right now and few people are checking threads let alone thinking of heading to the coast. Where are you currently located? It helps to know when planning a trip. I'd be happy to dive with you when the weather calms down. PM sent.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
North Star
Max

Indeed. Surf is 15-20 feet today and tomorrow!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #26
orspearo666
Water wolf

yeah i gotcha on the weather. ive been watching glumly at the weather reports and surf reports for the coast every day... im just trying to plan ahead. i will definitely try to be more patient lol. im located a slay-em (salem) but im willing to drive just about anywhere on the coast within 3hours.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #27
OregonSpearo

Some of us Oregon freedivers started this group back in '08:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/losprofundos/
following the '08 editiion of the "Oregon Freedive Palooza"
Feel free to join the group to keep in touch.
I'm in Portland, just back from Maui. Dammit.
OregonSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
orspearo666
Water wolf

aw man! its tough coing back to murky green/brown water and 7mm wetsuits isnt it? actually my lady and i are planning to move to the BI after we are out of college. pretty stoked about that! thanks for the link.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
OregonSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orspearo666 View Post
aw man! its tough coing back to murky green/brown water and 7mm wetsuits isnt it? actually my lady and i are planning to move to the BI after we are out of college. pretty stoked about that! thanks for the link.
Cool! I thought about that too but there seems to not be many job opportunities over there outside of the service industry. So make sure you have something lined up first before making the move. And everything is way expensive over there.
OregonSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
orspearo666
Water wolf

Talking Re: Oregon spearfishing

yeah the plan is to intern there first. then hopefully i will have a job. and the
only thing we will have to buy is veggies (cuz of all the fish im gonna shoot)