Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
cjschwartz

New to diving the puget sound

I just got my basic dive cert and I am looking forward to learning evertrhing I can about the local area. I really would like to get into spearfishing and I am soliciting any good advice for a newbie trying to learn how to spearfish in the Puget Sound area. I live in the Gig Harbor area but plan to dive all around the sound even the coast.

What type of speargun would u reccomend for a newbie?
Where is a good area to learn and practice spearfishing in the area?

When does the season typically start up for sperfishing in the area?

It would be awesome if someone could take me out during the season and teach me a thing or two?

Any advice is greatly appreiated.
cjschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
SeaHunter3

Re: New to diving the puget sound

Generally I would start out with a pole spear, it teaches you that body movement and relaxation will in turn relax the fish and make them easier to shoot. Start with a 5-6 foot pole spear they are only 30 dollars at most dive shops and will serve you well. After a few dives or whenever you feel comfortable go ahead and buy any gun you choose. It is truly about what you want how deep and how big the fish are, also make sure you buy a shorter gun because the PNW is not a hospitable environment for a gun much over 100cm.

I don't live near Gig and I generally only really do serious spearing over the summer because the seasons in seattle are pretty bad. I know there's loads of Gig harborians around this board and I'm sure you could find a friend.

As for any tips, if you come across a school of anything whether its perch, blues or blacks wait for a few seconds because a bigger one might make itself visible, this does not always work but when it does it feels great.

Hope I helped, good luck.
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
kehloken

Well your scuba diving it sounds like so go purchase a pneumatic gun Cressi sub is a good one. They are very low maintenance and you can get them for about $130 at leisure pro online. there is no reason to wait you can go practice right now on flounder and greenlings right around the Gig Harbor area. also perch are a very good target for practice. These fish will also sharpen your cleaning skills of the fish.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
cjschwartz

Not asking for anyone to give out specific locations but what type of areas should I be looking to spearfish at for fish that are currently in season such as flounder and perch?

How deep do you go?
Do you go to areas with sandy bottom, covered in eal grass, or rocky areas?
Is there a prime time to spearfhish? For isntance when doing hook and line fishing for salmon an hour before and after slack tide is prime fishing time.

Thanks for the feed back guys. All good advice. Keep it coming and ill be pro before even hitting the water lol.
cjschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

CJ if I were you, I would go out everywhere and as often as possible. Some spots will be good for some fish, some for others. Same goes for timing. It's been my experience that there are few absolutes. Nothing ground shaking here, I know, but my point is that time in the water will make you a master of the zones in your striking area. Time spent underwater will make you a pro, not advice from people in front of their computers. That said, you shouldn't even be listening to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Don-B

Hi CJ.
I'm not to far from you(Seabeck ) and I would be glad to help you out.
I normally dive every week so it should not be a problem getting you some dives in.
I will send you a P.M. with my number.
fell free to call in the evening.Don.
Don-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
kehloken

CJ you actually have a lot of choices you can go south from where you live, and north from where you live. If you hook up with Don B you guys could launch at Apple tree Cove matts matts quarry where you can launch into some very good fishing grounds. at Seabeck we're Don B is from that is the canal and most everything is close to spearfishing there.

Also the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and South Are alot of good fishing grounds also. there is a launch in Manchester which is across from Blake Island for some good spearfishing also.

That's just a few general ideas of where and like no I'm Josh says just go diving and you'll be a pro.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Macdiver
Mike

Hey CJ
I dive a bit with Don-B he's a good guy to dive with. I also live in Gig Harbor. There are many places around pretty close to just dive or practice shooting something, give a yell sometime.
Mike
Macdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
abalone13

I'm really new to the Puget sound diving scene and I was gonna try to get into it. I've done a lot of free diving in northern California but never in Washington. If anyone want to show me some spots and and a dive partner let me know

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
abalone13 is offline   Reply With Quote