Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

View Poll Results: Have your drowned your Gopro?
Drowned it! 18 25.00%
Never drowned it. 54 75.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Re: Did you down your Gopro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin View Post
It depends on what you want. If you're a pro or an enthusiast, then you'll want the Hero 4 for $500. However, if you're like me and just record weekend outings to post on youtube, the original Hero 1 worked just fine for that. GoPro is also offering a cheap $150 version of an action cam, because of this.

However, beware the Hero4 case has downgraded their depth rating to 40m (130 feet).
this was the case for the hero 3+ also. weight of the housing is very noticeable between the 3 and 3+ for this very reason. You can buy a dive housing for $50 which will allow you to go to 190' just remember there is a factor of safety built in to the depth rating so you can go deeper. How much idk, but since I freedive (suck at it) and mounted the camera to my mask, lighter and smaller is ideal for me since I won't be going past 130' any time soon.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #32
johndoelman
KOAH Spearguns

hitting it against the reef or anything while its underwater can cause it to flood.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #33
apneablu

In my case it was a 3+ black. I used a 2 for a long time no issues. It was my first dive and I oriented the desiccant wrong. The latch latched and having never used it before all looked secure. It was not, the door was latched but the desiccant was pushing against the door I guess. It lived 40 seconds according to the video.I am a firm believer in Square Trade warranties for high dollar equipment and lucky for me 39.99 invested returned me a new go pro. Not only that they refunded the full value which was nice since I had purchased it at a 20% discount. I promptly purchased the "dive housing" and I just make it a habit to get everything set up at home so I am less likely to bugger it up. Anyway, many dives later no issues. I definitely see way more 3+ drownings than any other. Love the low light ability.

Carl
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #34
jstiver09

Re: Did you drown your Gopro?

Yea that cheap low profile case is a disaster...good move going with the dive housing.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #35
Apneaddict

Re: Did you drown your Gopro?

I got the dive housing as well and use a rubber band over the latch as well as a paranoid backup.

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #36
OWS

It is not a matter of if, when!
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #37
acteg

I've flooded my 3+ black twice now. I have way more dives on my Hero 2 in a dive housing, and it NEVER flooded. I think the newer housing is not as robust/secure as the previous iteration...Oh well time to tear it apart, clean it, and put it back together. Hopefully it will last long enough to flood it a third time... or until apple comes out with their version of the sportcam.
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #38
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by acteg View Post
I've flooded my 3+ black twice now. I have way more dives on my Hero 2 in a dive housing, and it NEVER flooded. I think the newer housing is not as robust/secure as the previous iteration...Oh well time to tear it apart, clean it, and put it back together. Hopefully it will last long enough to flood it a third time... or until apple comes out with their version of the sportcam.
Order the dive housing!
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #39
Ryanfish

I've had my 3+ to 252 on a variable dive with no issues and great footage. I make a point to never leave the housing open. Camera comes out housing gets immediately shut. Have had quite a few go pros but never flooded em.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #40
DavidTaylor

I flooded mine a few weeks back getting tossed onto rocks coming back to the beach but for the most part as long as you go over your camera as you would your other gear you can avoid almost all flooding. you have to make sure to check your seal on the housing,making sure it is clean and laying right. make sure there is no cracks in the housing and clean all componants after your trips.
DavidTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #41
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

Man I have used the gopro hero 3 black for over two years now and never had an issue at all i also switched to the black out housing and that one works great too and both have been over 150ft although I dont really trust the black out housing as much.