Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #61
Freshy

Re: Pathos-inspired Cayman Build (not so pic heavy;-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I have tried a cayman handle and like all other handles I think it needs to be aligned properly. For setups where you are shooting a 6.5mm or 7mm shaft it really is no big deal, but as you move in recoil the handle really should be aligned properly so that recoil goes into the palm.
I am wondering moreso about what you think about the cayman internals. Any trouble with trigger pull when loading 2 tight bands? I've got a 130cm 7mm sigalsub coned shaft here that is just crying to be paired with a nice little reef gun. I wouldn't mind tinkering with a different brand of gun as long as it gets Majd's stamp of approval
I've watched your different handle mod videos twice over (i may have watched part 3 about 20x) and am a huge contributor to the view count on your youtube page haha. My wife thinks I'm cuckoo watching guns get shot in a pool for hours on end, but it is the next best thing when you can't be out in the water
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #62
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearow View Post
I am wondering moreso about what you think about the cayman internals. Any trouble with trigger pull when loading 2 tight bands? I've got a 130cm 7mm sigalsub coned shaft here that is just crying to be paired with a nice little reef gun. I wouldn't mind tinkering with a different brand of gun as long as it gets Majd's stamp of approval
I've watched your different handle mod videos twice over (i may have watched part 3 about 20x) and am a huge contributor to the view count on your youtube page haha. My wife thinks I'm cuckoo watching guns get shot in a pool for hours on end, but it is the next best thing when you can't be out in the water
Lol... My cuzzin was just cracking jokes on me the other day telling me im watching someone shoot a "harpoon" in a pool... They just dont understand...

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #63
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Muzzle Modification
I mentioned earlier on that I was afraid that the thinner 13-14mm bands wouldn't be securely fastened in these Cressi muzzles, so I went ahead with the Kwtony mod - which is to add putty/polymorph to the inside of the band holes.
I used epoxy filled with microballoons and a bit of graphite powder to dye the putty black. It's a very lightweight mix with little strength and quite brittle, but I think it will be fine for this purpose.

It's all pretty self-explanatory. I sanded the inside of the band holes with 120 grit first and used two small syringes as inserts to form the new holes. They have a diameter of 13.8mm and I waxed them twice, though I don't think the waxing is really needed.

Here is the muzzle all taped up after a round of putty:

After a few hours when the epoxy had set some, but still not fully cured, I took off the tape and cut off the worst of the excess putty. It's just easier to do in this phase. But it's not a biggie as the mix I used is very easy to sand, too:

After letting it cure overnight, I pulled the two syringes out - they released without any issues:

And then 'dremeled' the band holes (I say Dremel a whole lot, but it's just a cheapo Chinese gadget):

Sanded it down to final shape:

Here is how it looks rigged. It doesn't hold the 13mm that tight, but at least the front band can't turn and fall off the gun at the wishbone opening - since I closed that, too:

And loaded:

Compared to before the modification:

This mod obviously puts a tad more pressure on the set of 14mm bands than on the 13mm ones, though I could possibly have made the new band hole even smaller. I also considered raising the holes a 1/10'' or so in the muzzle but didn't want to risk it on this gun that is a give-away.

If I wanted to do more on this little reef gun, I could have a go at a second round with the putty to tidy up a few small air pockets, but I think this will do for now.
Another mod would be to make a 'friction grip'; possibly a layer of carborundum on the Omer grip. Or I could stipple it with a soldering iron. For a gun this small, with a pretty lightweight spear, I don't think it is that needed, so not sure I will get around to it.

So, since I also need to finish a few other projects, I think I will say that the gun is DONE now!

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 02-01-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #64
spearq8

Wow ... that is a lot of effort to get 1cm extra of band stretch !!! Looks good though and let us know how it shoots. Maybe next time you could get some of that reinforced tubing of the right diameter and this way you can pull it back and get the contours of band shape.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 AM   #65
kwtony
Snorkel Master

MY MAN!!! I like it!!Nothing but the best for the speara !!!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 AM   #66
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Wow ... that is a lot of effort to get 1cm extra of band stretch !!! Looks good though and let us know how it shoots.
Hey, I think it is almost 1.5cm for the rear one, !

The added band stretch is a just bonus, the real reason is that I think the risk of losing the front band was real. And now, you don't need to spend time centering the bands before each loading, they should stay in place:-). (Come to think about it, maybe I could just have run both 13mm bands through the front hole... Didn't try, maybe not enough room, anyways.)

On a Pathos muzzle with 13-14mm bands, I think it is worth it, though. That muzzle has quite a lot of room. The Salvimar has even more.

It wasn't actually that much work. "Puttied" it last night and sanded it this morning, it helps a lot that the putty is mostly microballons as they shape and sand much easier than other fillers. Using Polymorph, it could be a 10-15min job.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #67
ReefShark
Jay

Nice nice nice... Me likey!!! I'm definitely inspired now...

Ordered a muzzle yesterday im def doing this mod to it...

Tony stop making me spend my money...😎

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #68
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Recently I was reunited with this gun that I gifted to a friend who runs a freedive school in the Philippines and decided to do a very small mod.
Sanded the handle a bit to get a better angle on it for recoil control and then wanted to make a sort of friction grip, too.
Went for the easy solution of stippling it with a Phillips head screwdriver heated on the stove. Took less than 10 mins but I’m sure you could make it quite pretty if you put more effort into it than I did.
Nevertheless I like the result as these Omer grips were always way too slippery:

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 03-21-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #69
Mikel_24

Looking good!!! I have to try that checkering one of these days in a gun of mine...

Is the lanyard missing in that picture?
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #70
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Looking good!!! I have to try that checkering one of these days in a gun of mine...

Is the lanyard missing in that picture?

Thanks man:-)
The mushrooming was a welcome and surprising effect of the screwdriver I used. Had I done this at home I would likely have used a soldering iron.

Lanyard? You mean on the handle? I have a dyneema soft shackle for that gun but just took it off for the stippling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #71
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Thanks man:-)
Lanyard? You mean on the handle? I have a dyneema soft shackle for that gun but just took it off for the stippling.
Yes, that's what I meant by lanyard... and yes, it makes sense to remove it so you don't burn it while stippling!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote