Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #61
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Re: Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
Shurely, shirly, you jest?
I am down here for my yearly 2 week soak, soon enough it will be back to the frozen tundra to dream about what salt water even feels like till June! lol I will post up the fish report when we get back from the miller. Just to yank your chain, the rest of the line up is: back to the hydro, then the lowrance, followed by the sucre, and the big wrap up the rbj/corey. Whst s trip
Eric
Ah. Well jealous of your vacation then lol.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #62
waterpirate

Did the lowrance today, That bitch is big! We tied in around 2/3 to the front and I chose the trek to the fantail to see the rudder. It was a study in growths and hatches. The middle superstructure is falling in pretty good at this point. Damn and I thought it was the end, 2 more hatches and we got there. The rudder proved really large and in charge. Drifted swam back to the chain. Shootable jacks were in abundance, plenty of baitfish, vis was a dark 50-60 due to no sun. After a few jaunts down one level and a swim through to another campartment, it was time to go. Great dive and recomended to anybody qualified to do the dive. Max depth 185 on 18/45 with a run time of 80 minutes.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #63
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
Did the lowrance today, That bitch is big! We tied in around 2/3 to the front and I chose the trek to the fantail to see the rudder. It was a study in growths and hatches. The middle superstructure is falling in pretty good at this point. Damn and I thought it was the end, 2 more hatches and we got there. The rudder proved really large and in charge. Drifted swam back to the chain. Shootable jacks were in abundance, plenty of baitfish, vis was a dark 50-60 due to no sun. After a few jaunts down one level and a swim through to another campartment, it was time to go. Great dive and recomended to anybody qualified to do the dive. Max depth 185 on 18/45 with a run time of 80 minutes.
Eric
That is a great dive and you need a lot of dives on it to see it all. Some big hogs hang out on that wreck.

My buddy and I dropped on that wreck about 20 min after that middle structure had collapsed! It was still venting all the rust and silt out of the different openings when we got there. That happened Nov, 2011.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #64
primalpete

The Lowrance is a great dive. Shot a big hog off it last year. It tends to hold more fish than other wrecks in the area. Although the last time I dove there it was a graveyard.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #65
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
The same rules of physics apply to us all. The choice comes when you either stack the deck in your favor for returning safe or "hope" that everything goes right with no realistic back up. But if given the choice on the boat to come back or not come back, I doubt any of you would “choose” the latter.

Go back and search all the memorial threads, you may notice a trend.

physics is the same regardess how big your balls are. there a thin line between safe and unsafe and outright stupid.

come to think of it. scuba diving is not that dangerous. seen enough stupid stunt pulled and 98% of them lived to tell.

so carry on.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #66
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Please stop derailing this thread fellows. I have cleaned up the scuffle. Thanks.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #67
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

So to sum it up,some think the return is sufficient,some don't.

Tech discussions will normally get around to insults and pontification.

I have pix in my gallery that for the most past are all deeper than 120'.None of my biggest fish came with doubles or on mix.

There are big fish deep but trophy fish can be taken on rec gear in depths easily accessible with modest training.

When ANYONE ever outshoots me on doubles diving mix in my backyard,the next trip I will probly try it again.Till then it's reserved for sightseeing and past 200'.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #68
mjmoore83

AMEN! 100-days im going to so outshoot you diving trips on mix in 40ft of water. 100 lb cobia all stoned and 5 or 6 80 lb africans on one dive, Ive seen it a thousand times haha diving past 60ft is for crazy people; you guys are all nuts

Dont come in untill you run out of ice or the fishbox is full
mjmoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #69
alemaozinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
3 dives in 140 feet with 30 minute surface intervals.....uhm.. lets see, "Depends"... or maybe ..... "wheelchair gas" ... or "I'm coming HOME, Jesus - mix"...

I'm not sure I can answer that question for you. I think your nitrox instructor told you to keep your PP O2 to around 1.4 (for spearfishing), you would want to keep your BT short and do a deep stop. It would be better to not exceed the no-deco limits and I think you need to have some redundancy (like a pony bottle). Most anyone who is qualified to give you advice on this (and I am not) would encourage longer surface intervals.

In any case, I suggest a very gradual progression into more aggressive diving, and make sure you have oxygen on the boat.
ROTFL
alemaozinho is offline   Reply With Quote