Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Wahoo in the keys

Hey guys,

Ive done my fair share of reef diving shooting everything from hogfish and snapper to blacks and cuberas, but ive made it a point to shoot a wahoo this winter. The thing is i dont really know where to start. I know i can take a charter and they can show me the ropes but i cant afford to take one and set a date and have something come up that i cant go diving (since i dive very little in the winter time, maybe once a month, also not to be negative or anything but i dont want to pay someone and have the probability of coming up empty handed, id rather go out and try it myself, and i know that thats just fishing in general, anyone can have a good day, and anyone can have a bad day, but if i can go out myself id rather do that).I have the gun to do so i just have never gone out to the bluewater and i have only used it a handful of times to test it on some deeper reefs. As far as flashers go i dont have a hanging flasher, only a throw flasher, is that good enough to get a shot at one or is a hanging flasher a must. Also was wondering about chum, what chum should i bring, if i bring any at all. I spear the areas of islamorada and marathon and if someone can point me in the right direction on to where to start and what to do it would be helpful. I've heard the wrecks are usually alright for finding wahoo but there are really only 2 wrecks in my area where i spear (the eagle and thunderbolt). If anyone can tell me some place to start where i have a high chance of even seeing a wahoo in the water that would be great.

Last edited by Keysspearoo; 12-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Alec

Re: Wahoo in the keys

Try drifting structure in 200-400ft. Flashers are a must, you can make your own for cheap or go with the buzz bomb flasher. Always keep a good chum line going with your drift, I like to layer it out. Whatever’s cheap will work, shoot a cuda or jack if you need. You’ll figure out what chum works best in certain areas. Definitely recommend having some type of bungee and a spectra slip tip
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Keysspearoo

Alec,

Define structure, by that do you mean deep reefs or wrecks?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

You could try the Islamorada Humps as well as the 409/Marathon Humps, but be warned, large predators have been observed through the years ... I've seen wahoo, BFT, and dolphin there, but none of my local reef diving buddies will jump in with me there

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
StukNotAnchored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
You could try the Islamorada Humps as well as the 409/Marathon Humps, but be warned, large predators have been observed through the years ... I've seen wahoo, BFT, and dolphin there, but none of my local reef diving buddies will jump in with me there
I have a WorldCat 2300. Once while we were catching blackfin by the pallet-load at the Islamorada Hump, the sharks were killing us. We would have to hook two or three and reel like hell to get 1 (sometimes 2) to the boat. A large tiger shark followed one in towards the boat. His head was too large to fit between the twin engines (easily 3+ feet apart)!! Dude, you have been warned.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Jankglass

Quote:
way better spots then the hump. and if you were to dive one the marathon hump pops off way more with big tuna
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Keysspearoo

Quote:
Yeah ive contemplated diving the humps for years never have had the balls to do it, it sounds like a place where my gear will get torn up by sharks if I manage to stick a big fish, not to mention the boat traffic out there is horrendous, lots of crazy people out there. Also, my boat isnt that big and making a 20 mile run out the humps in 4-6ft waves (which is pretty common for winter in the keys) in hopes of getting a shaft in a fish sounds like a waste of gas and time. Looking for something closer, like i said before, ive heard the wrecks are good the only thing is there is only 2 and if they both are slow where to from there? Deep reefs?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
FalconSpearo

Try Duane, I've seen wahoo pass by on several occasions. (Rare occurrence, but happens.)