Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Eibwen

Lost diver 30nm NW Hudson/NPR

http://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/new...er-near-hudson

I hope they find the diver, there is still time. Another reminder of why the $350 for a PLB and dive canister is cheap insurance vs ending up as shark shit.

Coast Guard searching for missing diver near Hudson
By Jason Lanning | August 23, 2018 @5:35 AM

HUDSON, Fla. — A search is ongoing Thursday morning for a missing diver near Hudson.

Missing diver off coast of Hudson
Coast Guard conducting search in Gulf of Mexico
One diver rescued; second still being sought
According to the Coast Guard, two divers set out Wednesday afternoon. The search for the missing diver is 30 miles into the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of Hudson.

Officials said the divers were exploring a popular scuba diving location known as the RJ Thompson wreck site. A rescue mission was set in motion after an emergency radio call from a dive boat captain at 4 in the afternoon.

Coast Guard officials did locate the other diver after searching for four hours. He was spotted five miles from the dive location. Officials said he is in good condition.

The other diver, a 57-year-old man, still has not been located.

The search is ongoing and ships in the area have been advised to look out for the missing diver.

This is a developing story and more information will be provided as it becomes available.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
SeaSage

Re: Lost diver 30nm NW Hudson/NPR

Looks like he was found. Good for him, I know I would be beyond scared after that much time floating by myself.

http://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/new...er-near-hudson
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
CuzzA

Was this a charter? How the hell do you lose two divers on a wreck? I haven't heard any reports of strong currents.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
SeaSage

They aren't giving much info yet. I hope they spell out the situation more. Can you imagine having to float out there all night?
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Eibwen

Yeah not clear. They say a boat captain called it in but since both divers were stranded & article intimates that they both traveled together (eg in their boat) I suspect that their boat anchor pulled and another boat captain called in the USCG to alert them of a free drifting boat sans occupants. That's my working theory.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
gcracker89

My wife and I years ago dove the R J on a Sunday afternoon many years ago. when we returned to the anchor line it was gone. The thoughts that go thru your head while making a free assent from 65' could fill a chapter in a book. 30 miles off shore late in the day no one will be out for days. no one on shore has a float plan for us, how many days before anyone even thinks to look for us and where would they look? and on and on and on. surfacing there was no boat, as I turned there she was behind me when I surfaced. The current and wind had shifted while we were down and the anchor line that was across the wreck had drifted off to the side and was not visible when we returned when we returned to our start point. Never dove again with out at least one person staying on board.
I'm glad they were found safe, I'm sure we had many of the same thoughts. Here is a free lesson for those that read this post. tie the boat off, leave someone on board that can run the boat and use a radio, leave a float plan with someone....
Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Eibwen

So your boat was still anchored, just drifted the other direction?

A PLB is the closest thing to a surefire way of making sure you get found if your boat goes missing. Works basically anywhere in the world and communicates with the dedicated SAR satellites. Not preferable to call out the cavalry when avoidable, of course.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Eibwen

It wad a dive boat. Divers surfaced away from boat apparently.

Latest https://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-di...ry?id=57377974
Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
gcracker89

the line ran across the end of the RJ during the dive the wind/current changed when we swam around and came back to where we started the line was not there and had drifted to the north out of site.