Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Re: Rod for the Spear

Whats your opinion on the Omer Excalibur 2000? and what size would you recommend?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #32
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
So would a JBL super carbine work for stripers and cobia and stuff? im doubtin it at this point
When a friend of mine started spearing a few years ago he bought one for like $20 bucks at a garage sale or something and used it for two years. He shot quite a few nice fish with it including some bass. However, stay very far away from those guns. Complete garbage. He still swears it was the best $20 bucks he ever spent. haha Probably true because it got him out their for next to nothing but if they are anything like they once were then run from those guns. I know I wasn't as hard on the sawed-off as everyone else but the carbine forget it. Its good for nothing.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #33
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
When a friend of mine started spearing a few years ago he bought one for like $20 bucks at a garage sale or something and used it for two years. He shot quite a few nice fish with it including some bass. However, stay very far away from those guns. Complete garbage. He still swears it was the best $20 bucks he ever spent. haha Probably true because it got him out their for next to nothing but if they are anything like they once were then run from those guns. I know I wasn't as hard on the sawed-off as everyone else but the carbine forget it. Its good for nothing.
what about the omer i asked about?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

I have used a 75cm Excalibur and I liked it. Can't really say much though as the gun was so small but it had some punch for its size, was light, and accurate. I hate those metal wishbones but you can replace that very easy and they have adapters that fit the screw in bands so you can just tie your own. The one I used didn't have a full rail and I don't think any size Excalibur does so I don't know how accuracy is as they get bigger. I don't like the thin shafts because they bend to easy. Probably not much of a problem on a gun as small as the one I used but definitely something to think about on anything bigger. I've shot a 90cm of a different brand with 6.5 shaft and they bend fairly easy which can ruin your day. Then again I have a habit of shooting triggers point blank against the rocks. Check out what people you dive around are using but I would think you'll be looking for something pretty different and heavier duty than the Excalibur for what you want to do with it. Really depends on what you expect to do with it but this wouldn't be my choice of gun.

Last edited by TriggerNJ; 02-19-2009 at 03:39 PM.
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
Its good for nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	95822  
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #36
33fish33

These are tog, which it must be said, are only slightly above nothing. And, it looks like you killed too many Im just being a jerk...

Last edited by 33fish33; 02-19-2009 at 04:42 PM.
33fish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #37
JDC 92
dirty water diver

well can i get a gun recomendation at a price my ass can afford? im not gunna be shootin huge fish but i want somthing that i know will kill stripers, cobia and kings but that i can use for flounder and sheepshead and stuff like that too...i dont know how well that would work. im not about to put $500 into my first gun though
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #38
surf2live
Eternal Haole

Send a message via AIM to surf2live Send a message via Yahoo to surf2live

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC 92 View Post
well can i get a gun recomendation at a price my ass can afford? im not gunna be shootin huge fish but i want somthing that i know will kill stripers, cobia and kings but that i can use for flounder and sheepshead and stuff like that too...i dont know how well that would work. im not about to put $500 into my first gun though

The Members Items section here always has some great deals on quality guns. For high quality new/used spearguns I go to www.onestopspearfishingshop.com. There aren't many spearos in my area, so there aren't any spearfishing shops at all.
surf2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #39
fishfan

Quote:

Best advice I got from another spearo/spear fishing store owner when I started was buying a Omer 75. You want to be comfortable with what you are doing and this gun is my favorite. I even used in on a commercial trip we did out of OC Md. Three guys using basically the same gun put over 500lbs of fish (Trigger, Togs, Jacks, etc) in the ice boxes. Just go with the Aluminum barrel and you won't go wrong.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #40
JDC 92
dirty water diver

thanks, hows everbody like the riffe competitor models?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #41
surf2live
Eternal Haole

Quote:
thanks, hows everbody like the riffe competitor models?
I own the Riffe Compeitor #1 which is a rear handle teak gun w/ 3 bands....its about 71cm from the mech to the bands. I love this gun- its small but very powerful. I use it in all conditions, but especially in the holes and jettys and on low vis days. I usually only load 1 or 2 bands- but it is very capable of taking striper and drum fish.

I also have a Riffe MidHandle #M- its very powerful, accurate and light- my favorite.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #42
JDC 92
dirty water diver

ok im lookin at the C#00 mostly cause its $40 cheaper than the #1 any major difference?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #43
surf2live
Eternal Haole

Quote:
ok im lookin at the C#00 mostly cause its $40 cheaper than the #1 any major difference?
The only difference is the length of the gun, and it prolly only has 2 bands- if your cool with that, AND its appropriate for your hunting grounds, then your good. Go to www.onestopspearfishingshop.com that dudes sells used guns too....I bought the Comp#1 from him.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #44
JDC 92
dirty water diver

I think i'll get the one you have. that way when i go fishin for big fish i can use all 3 bands. there was one used Competitor #1 for $290 and a new 1 for $290
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Sorry Intaugnito, I know I overstated. It will kill plenty of fish in the right hands but thats all your getting out of me. hahaha Here I blurred his face because its my friend and I'm not sure if he wants his face on the internet.
In support of Intaugnito this was taken with a "good for nothing" super carbine. haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiiishh resize.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	95827