Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
rnln

Question on regulator and BCD

Hi Guys,
While discussing with someone today, I am thinking whether renting gears or getting my own set of regulator and BCD. I can't spend a ton but don't want something to break down too often, especially when I am in water. I did some searches but couldn't find any thread recommending them for beginner. Can someone please shed some light? I love to read to educate myself, so any input will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Question on regulator and BCD

If you rent, you will eventually quite diving, Just my observation!
First off, it is a PITA to have to adjust all the straps to fit, EVERY TIME! And you will not "know the controls" on every piece of gear when you are in a "tight spot", then the hassle of renting and returning gear...( not to mention the cost) and then there is the times that the stars didn't align and you didn't dive ( use the gear), so all that money and effort was wasted...
Just buy your own gear, it doesn't have to be top of the line, it will be adjusted to fit you, you will become comfortable with using it, and if the stars don't align and you don't use it, NO BIG DEAL!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
rnln

Thanks Seatux.
Can you comment on Sherwood and Mares BCD/Regulators? I see Scuba.com has some really good deal on these.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
SEATUX

It would be helpful if you filled in some profile info on yourself, like where you live.
In my neck of the woods you can get some good used gear, Cheap, a way to get started. As for Sherwood and Mares...you cant go wrong, can you spend more and get better? Sure. But if you stay in the sport you can Always upgrade.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
super opus

go with scuba pro or atomic for regs and a backplate for bc
super opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
andrew37

Quote:
Originally Posted by super opus View Post
go with scuba pro or atomic for regs and a backplate for bc
+1. If you stick with SCUBA long enough youíre almost definitely going to want a backplate bc, and if you donít stick with it a backplate will have a better resale value (at least in my experience). Itís worth the investment, and if youíre worried about cost remember the back plate itself (especially if you go steel) will offset a fair bit of weight, so you wonít have to buy as much lead.

A lot of dive shops around here run scuba pro or atomic regs and offload old gear fairly cheap every now and then. The nice part about that is if itís a reputable shop, itís probably been regularly maintained. But particularly for regs and bcs, if you go used youíre going to want to have a shop you trust service it before you dive it. Depending on what parts are needed that could add a fair but on to the cost.

Another thing you could do is ask around local aquariums and marine bio programs. It goes without saying, but divers are gear nuts, and if youíre lucky you could find some great deals on gear and people turn over their kit / experiment with different setups.
andrew37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

I use Zeagle BC & regulator because I live in Florida and it is easy to find parts and service because Zeagle is made in Florida. If I fully confess, I use a ScubaPro regulator on my pony tank because I got a good deal on it.

I used to dive Poseidon regulators. They are great equipment, but since they are not that popular where I live, it was always a challenge to find somebody that would/could service it. It would sometimes take weeks (or more) to get parts for them to figure out they ordered the wrong ones and start over again. A good example was I had a 1st stage failure at 100' on the 1st dive right after servicing. Turns out they put the wrong part in that worked long enough for a bench test.

The point of this discussion is to say whatever you buy, make sure your local dive shop is trained and capable of servicing whatever you choose. Sherwood and Mares always seem to be common anywhere I've gone, so like Seatux said, you can't go wrong ...

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
rnln

Thanks guys,
once I rented the back inflator (I assume this is what you guys call back plate?). Man... this thing keep pushing me down to the laying face down position on surface, even when I pull my leg up forward and tilted my head backward. The only way not to face down for me is laying face up on top of it. I did try to deflate it a little bit and use my snorkel, it helps a tiny bit, but still can't stand vertical as easy as the normal jacket BCD. I changed to jacket BCD right after that dive and was so happy with it

I am not sure how people handle it and like it so much. Is it because scuba divers don't go surface that much? Or is it because I just don't know how to handle it yet? Anyway, I will try it again when I have a chance, see if I can discover the good part about it.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
rnln

So you have no air at 100' deep? How did you manage to get up? Tell more about it please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I use Zeagle BC & regulator because I live in Florida and it is easy to find parts and service because Zeagle is made in Florida. If I fully confess, I use a ScubaPro regulator on my pony tank because I got a good deal on it.

I used to dive Poseidon regulators. They are great equipment, but since they are not that popular where I live, it was always a challenge to find somebody that would/could service it. It would sometimes take weeks (or more) to get parts for them to figure out they ordered the wrong ones and start over again. A good example was I had a 1st stage failure at 100' on the 1st dive right after servicing. Turns out they put the wrong part in that worked long enough for a bench test.

The point of this discussion is to say whatever you buy, make sure your local dive shop is trained and capable of servicing whatever you choose. Sherwood and Mares always seem to be common anywhere I've gone, so like Seatux said, you can't go wrong ...
Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
rnln

So far, I have couple options. Which would you choose?

1- go with this package. The shop near me can be able to save me couple hundred on this package.
https://www.diversdirect.com/p/aqua-...ential-package

2- go with cheaper end, those closed out sales from here. Regulator set and BCD. No computer, just gauges. Save couple hundred bucks compare to option (1) above
https://www.scuba.com/shop/Closeouts...egory_1_page_3

3- go used/second hand. Depend on how much I will save.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
SEATUX

Lets Go Backwards...
How much can/or/you want/ to spend...?
Now find gear that fits that equation!!!
You can ALWAYS upgrade!
And..
Being new to the sport, you don't know what you really want...
Sure..others are eager to give you advice on what to buy...but it's like Ford VS Chevy...you really want to listen to that Crap?
BCDs….I am Old and like the jacket BCDs. Not saying back packs aren't good, I just choose what I am most comfortable with, Shit, my regulators are 30 years old and I do all the servicing/rebuilding myself! (But I am not advocating that )
Speaking of Regulators...DUDE...they are all safe, if they fail it is almost Always Free Flow...
the ONE THING I would insist on ( splurge on ) is a BASIC NITROX computer ( instead of a depth gauge) You will find that Nitrox it THE way to dive, and the "tables" SUCK ( and…computers are, honestly, CHEAP).
Get to be friends with your local dive shop and work with them…"Most likely" they will take care of your needs.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
CatDiver

Most local shops end up selling the gear that they use for classes as used gear every year or so. I would go that route. Then you have used gear that was professionally services and someplace to take it back to if it needs repair at some point.

If you want new, leisurepro sells complete packages and discounts about as much as anyone online. You could get a beginners one for reasonable money (but more than used).
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
rnln

Thanks everyone for your input. As far I know, every game/toy out there is different. Some require to be at a certain level to be acceptable, but there are some will work with any kind of quality. Of course, how it perform will be a different story. Since I am new to this game and don't know much about these gears, and especially we are playing deep under water; therefore, I am taking it precautious. Hope you guys don't mind.

What I was doing was looking at several different brands/qualities/prices, stepping up slowly until I hit the level of "acceptable".

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
super opus

backplates fit any diver for any kind of diving. diving here in cali you will want steal. if you plan on traveling a lot and don't have a ton of money you could go with aluminum or rent.
if you find yourself being forced face down at the surface deflate and you can lean back. then just swim backwards to the boat. after 50 dives you will be happy with back inflate when you see all the suckers with jacket vest swimming like clowns. here in cali scuba pro and atomic can be serviced at any shop in about a week. scuba pro is free parts for life. atomic is ever 2 years. so they work out to be the same cost. i would drop the money on a steal backplate at the end of the day you will be very happy with that choice. i never dive with a snokle no point. as you start to dive more and differnt kind of dives you will start to find what you love. backplate allows you to make the change with out spending more money. yes backplates do cost up front but amout you save in long run fair outways start up cost.
super opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
iambluesman

We were all where you are now bro and it can be daunting when trying to figure out how to outfit yourself properly especially on a tight budget.

About 12 years ago after I got certified I was renting gear to dive and hunting on craigslist for gear to buy.

Bought the cheap stuff first .... mask, fins, wetsuit, weight belt.

When I was ready to buy my own reg/BC/Tanks I pretty much knew what I wanted.

Reg- I was diving pretty hard and noticed that the dive shop had Aqualung Titans in their rental fleet. These things got pounded every week for years. Much research revealed that this reg was bullet proof and would take the beating I would put it through. Bought one used and put it through about 150-200 tanks per year for 6 years. Maintained annually and never once gave me any trouble. Upgraded to a Legend.

Tank - For my diving, High pressure steel is the only tank that makes sense.

BC - Went with a Zeagle backplate and bladder. Very streamline and light, perfect for what I do.

Do your research and make sure the gear you buy will fit your needs. Good Luck
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote