Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
spearoscott

mass divers lobster ??

Anyone still getting or looking for lobsters in mass?
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
LabMan

Re: mass divers lobster ??

If you know where I'm in.

Rambo, Sam and I got one of three found in Plymouth a couple weeks ago.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
fr0sty

Do lobster move out when the water gets cold? I'm new to the area and I thought lobster don't move around like fish do
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
spearoscott

from what Ive read lobster don't go far from home no matter what the season. I think the article I read said under 1 mile during its entire life. Who knows??
I was going to try but after diving today and freezing solid I probably will just do quick local shellfish dives, they don't travel at all and I know I can find them.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
gillotine

The best bug diving I have had was in November. That's the catching part, the getting out of your suit part really sucks.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Bostondiver

Send a message via Skype™ to Bostondiver

Do lobsters migrate?
Tag and recapture studies have shown that lobsters tagged offshore in the winter and spring have been recaptured inshore in the summer and fall and vice versa Cooper estimated that 20-50% of offshore lobsters are migratory. This suggests a pattern of seasonal migration where lobsters move offshore in the winter and spring and inshore in the summer and fall. The existence of a seasonal migration is supported by population density studies. The highest density of offshore lobsters in the summer and fall months is in inshore or shoal water, whereas in the winter and spring it is in the deep waters of the continental shelf edge

Movements of larger lobsters to deeper water have also been observed. Skud and Perkins found shallow populations of smaller, prerecruit lobsters, and deep populations of large lobsters in Veatch canyon. They proposed that lobsters may move to deeper waters as they grow.

How far do lobsters migrate?
Lobsters exhibit different patterns of movement at different stages in their life history. For example, juvenile lobsters do not generally exhibit large scale movements. Campbell & Stasko (1986) found that immature lobsters did not display the same seasonal movements as mature lobsters, but instead exhibited more localized movements along the coastline. In their study, lobsters that were tagged as juveniles began to exhibit these seasonal movements only in later recaptures (1.5 years after tagging) as they were nearing maturity. Lawton & Lavalli (1995) also noted that movement by adolescents (40-45mm) was usually less than 300m. Several other studies have supported the theory that larger mature lobsters move greater distances (Saila & Flowers, 1968; Cooper & Uzmann, 1971; Morrissey, 1971; Dow, 1974; Campbell & Stasko, 1986) than immature lobsters.

Mature lobsters have an average annual range of about 32km (Campbell and Stasko, 1985; Campbell, 1986). This average represents a small number of lobsters that migrate very long distances and a large number that undertake shorter movements. Inshore lobsters typically move more locally (Briggs & Mushacke, 1979; Fogarty et al., 1980; Krouse, 1981), with the exception of a small number that undertake long migrations along the coast (rather than between inshore and offshore areas). One "long-shore" migrant moved 798 nautical miles in 3 1/2 years (Campbell and Stasko, 1986). Offshore lobsters often undertake seasonal migrations and have been known to move 345km in 71 days (Uzmann, et. al., 1977).

This article also stated that lobster prefer temperatures not lower than 8 C (46F)
Bostondiver is offline   Reply With Quote