Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:41 AM   #1
Steel Shootin'

Middle Grounds

This was a last minute trip. My 19 year old son and his friend asked to go fishing Friday night, so I took them 90 miles offshore on Sunday to the Middle Grounds. Had tanks on board, but decided that I would let them fish, and maybe dive closer in.

Left at first light Sunday AM. The ride out was nice, seas were flat, and a hint that the season is changing in the air. With flat seas, the trip out was made in 2.5 hours. The seas built to maybe two foot rollers out there, but very comfortable the whole day.

Arrived on our first spot, in 130' at the bottom of a 10' ledge. The fish were chewin good. We quickly boated several reds, gags, and mangos. Unfortunately, one undersized red was dying on the surface after being thrown back, but it was cool to see a dolphine skyrocket next to the boat, clearly happy as shit with that red in his mouth. (we also saw a kingfish skyrocket in only 30' of water on the way in).

Just as quickly as the fish were eating, they got lock jaw at about noon. Couldn't buy a bite. That's when it got real tempting to spearfish. Decided to keep fishing, and we fished nonstop for several hours. Went through a flat of sardines, and then cut up a couple of large porgys that were in the ice box.

Made the trip back in arriving at about 7:00PM (after stopping for a couple dives) cleaned all the gear, and my wife was all prepared for the fish fry when we got back.

Flat seas:

My son had the hottest hand of the day, here with a nice red:

Here with a Mango:
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Are you telling me you went all the way to the grounds and didn't get wet?
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Steel Shootin'

Yes, with great embarrassment I might add.

I can't tell you how many times I went to grab my gear, especially after the fish stopped eating. But I don't get to spend that much time with my oldest son anymore, so I decided to stay topside and just enjoy the fishing. At the end of the day they were so beat from fishing that I did some shallow stuff after making the trip back in.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote