Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-07-2002, 06:25 AM   #1
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

Thumbs up Grounds Report weekend

Left Friday about noon on the Groundskeeper with Capt Bob, Chris, Tom, EJ, and John M. At a blistering pace, we arrived about midnight. Mango bite was crap, we ended up catching around 20 before we hit the sack, er bunks. Up at daylight, we planned on diving the wreck in '130, but opted not to due to we had two folks diving air. Seas were about 2ft, very nice. First dive 1st team went down, came back with the largest gag of the trip, 35 in and a shit load of go's. Second team went down on a ledge and came up with some big ass hogs and the usuall go's, scamps, a couple of gags and reds. Next dive was on the "caves" and there was fish everywhere on the deep side of the ledge, as soon as we dropped down you could see them scatter...there was some HUGE gags out in the distance and all you saw was a glimpse......shit!! We took a couple gags, couple of reds and the usuall gos again. First day went pretty much like that for the remaining dives, very few gags, lots of go's and a big hog thrown in here and there. The second night of snapper fishing didn't go tooo much better than the first, except we stayed up longer, got lucky with some scamps and caught a big american red. Only two of us fished and we probably caught 15-20 goes, 5-6 scamps, unlimited ****ing short red grouper and a bakers dozen eels. A couple of times I was ****ing schooled by a big ol bubba grouper. He didn't care if I was using 80lb main and 100lb leader with a 6/0. He just used me.

Second day seas were almost slick in the am, picked up a bit by mid morning with 2ft seas. Dives didn't produce anything to write home about, had a diver see a white marlin while hangin in deco, whale shark came up to divers, and a great big ****in tiger shark scared the shit out of Chris. If any of you know Chris, of course we listened to that story for the rest of the trip! Great trip, vis was less than 50ft on all dives, sometimes only about 20ft. Lots of suspended snot in the water on Sun.

GROUPER55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:24 AM   #2
Steel Shootin'

G55, thanks for that report and photos. I was trying to raise you guys on the radio, but couldn't remember which channel G-keeper monitors. LMAO (imagining Chris telling you guys about the shark).
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

How about those world famous Groundskeeper gunnel hunches? That was us on the Jolly Rogers 2 Sunday about a mile away.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:06 AM   #4
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

We had a pretty shitty group with us...everytime I turned around someone was hangin their ass over the gunnel, hard to concentrate on fishin!! D4B, did you guys ever find that gun?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Steel Shootin'

The LMAO was imagining Chris telling about the shark.

Yeah, it's funny as hell when these guys are on board the Venture. They won't shit in the head. To them, it's a sport. Mark, who was with us at the SPO, like telling the story. "I was talking to him, and in mid-coversation the guy drops trough and is hanging his ass off the side."

D4B: Great report. You'll likely see me on the JRII in November some time. I'm ready to let someone else have the helm for a trip. Call me about a mid-week Middlegrounds Run if still interested.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 PM   #6
Shooter Dan

G55, We got it. I seem to have a problem remembering to shoulder my gun while both shafts are out. I'm working on having my Rhino dipped in gold to keep it from floating away.

Just don't laugh when you see it.

Any tips on placing weight in the handle of these guns?
Shooter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
dlock
Subaquatic Assassin

Send a message via Yahoo to dlock
hey Josh nice fish,did you shoot that mango? Didn't see a spearhole in it
Old 10-08-2002, 06:44 AM   #8
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

Of course I stuck him! Right between his beady littly eyes. I was hangin about 10-15 feet off the bottom and waiting for him, I saw him duck into a hole, so I waited him out. Sure as hell he peeked out, looked around and I think I heard him say "ok guys, the coast is clea.....WHAP!" And thats all she wrote, turned white as a sheet. lol having range like that is what addicted me to freeshafting!
Old 10-08-2002, 02:22 PM   #9
dlock
Subaquatic Assassin

Send a message via Yahoo to dlock
that's the next thing on my list, a Rhino w/ the commercial set-up. I like my Riffe but I would like to get into some freeshafting. With the Rhino I would have either option.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

I haven't had a single ****in gripe about em! Iv'e thrown iggies out about that gun ever since I bought it. Now that I have freeshaftin down to a point that I am pretty effective, I only use my line for wrecks or big aj's when I use my powerhead. It shoots like 20 year old cheerleaders screw! Realllllll nice...."lol so Iv'e heard"
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 PM   #11
BentShaft

Is that the same "groundskeeper" that is/was owned by Jim Fentress? If so I have been out on that boat a few times and you are right about the 'blistering pace' that the thing sets. What is it....about 8 or 9 knots?? Not the right boat to be in if you are in an hurry or prone to seasickness. That thing rocks like a beercan with a splitshot in it!! ha ha Still we had some great trips to the grounds on that old boat and did some of my best shooting out there.