Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
originalsin

Re: Ulusub Spearfishing Co. New Speargun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by castro210 View Post
I ordered the 165 mid-handle and 150 euro. He said ship by tomorrow so hopefully he is hard at work. No photos as of yet.

I'd take a sonogram honestly

That is exactly what I want to order! I can't afford both at this time, so I think the 155 mid handle is my best option. Man I can't wait to get this ordered up. He must be busy, been trying to reach him for a couple days.
originalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I have a 55" mid-handle now. I threw around every possible option when considering. I have no idea if I will like the open track euro gun but based on what people think of the Riffe euro, its longer than my current gun, and ease of use (lighter and slimmer), I thought I would give it a try. My 55 mid-handle shoots lasers with three bands, but the 150 euro is 3 inches longer and will have about 13" more gun in front of me (16" gain). Although I've gotten good with the mid it is just kind of weird having so much gun behind my trigger hand so I think I'll enjoy the euro, if it shoots as good as it looks that is.
There is no way to have a bomber like the 165 without it being mid so it is what it is. I was getting that one either way.
Hope the euro works out, thats all I can do at this point.

Jon disappeared for a while when I was ordering too but then reappeared to be extremely helpful. I think he has been busy with the company.

Last edited by Castronova; 04-24-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
originalsin

Quote:
I have a 55" mid-handle now. I threw around every possible option when considering. I have no idea if I will like the open track euro gun but based on what people think of the Riffe euro, its longer than my current gun, and ease of use (lighter and slimmer), I thought I would give it a try. My 55 mid-handle shoots lasers with three bands, but the 150 euro is 3 inches longer and will have about 13" more gun in front of me (16" gain). Although I've gotten good with the mid it is just kind of weird having so much gun behind my trigger hand so I think I'll enjoy the euro, if it shoots as good as it looks that is.
There is no way to have a bomber like the 165 without it being mid so it is what it is. I was getting that one either way.

Jon disappeared for a while when I was ordering too but then reappeared to be extremely helpful. I think he has been busy with the company.
Let me ask you this about the 155cm Mid Handle,

For clear waters, open / deep reef and blue water, would you say this would be a pretty versatile gun? I figured I could run 3 bands for deep reef with the narrower shaft, and 4 bands with the thicker shaft for strictly blue water. The gun measures 60", with a mid handle I figure it's maneuverable enough for deep reef.
originalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #34
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I think you are on it. If only one, that is the right choice in my book too.

My 55" (140 by Ulusub measurements) starts to feel small in 60+ depth and viz which we see a good amount of.

More than a few days for wahoo this year we could clearly see the bottom (like see muttons and kings swimming on the bottom) in 105/110 feet of water. That is why I wanted the 165, and for mexico and such. Although I did shoot the wahoo in my avatar with a 53" with enclosed track and 3 bands so...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Freshy

Quote:
I ordered the 165 mid-handle and 150 euro. He said ship by tomorrow so hopefully he is hard at work. No photos as of yet.

I'd take a sonogram honestly
You're a lucky man having 2 Ulusubs on the way Don't forget to post pics of your guns when they come and when you get them bloody! Pretty sure my next gun will be an Ulusub.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
slingnsteel

Quote:

I just ordered the 150 mid I'm hoping it's open track, I do want to be able to hunt reef with it so if I need to shoot into a hole or take a close shot... Is your 155 open or closed?? What's your thoughts?
slingnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #37
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingnsteel View Post
I just ordered the 150 mid I'm hoping it's open track, I do want to be able to hunt reef with it so if I need to shoot into a hole or take a close shot... Is your 155 open or closed?? What's your thoughts?
I assume this was to me... but I did not order the 155 mid but 150 euro which is open track. If you order the mid I believe it is standard enclosed but I think Jon would make it however you wanted but you would probably have to inquire. The euro is the only model he shows that comes open track, from what I know.

I'm sure it will help to be able to take a band off sitting on the bottom for a hogfish or to hole shoot a grouper to have the open track. I have heard of enclosed tracks being destroyed in those situations.

[behslayer - sorry, I feel like I hijacked your thread. At minimum others will see my reasoning for choosing your gun and particular model(s)]

Last edited by Castronova; 04-25-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: apology
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
slingnsteel

Yea sorry I thought you already had one... Just read it... Thought u had the 155. Those were my thoughts exactly and Jon was pointing me at the open track throughout our discussions.

P.S. if you aren't positive what you want Jon will be very very very patient and talk to you and answer questions getting the gun that you want and the best one for you!!!! Awesome guy would really like to meet in person on day!!
slingnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #39
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

I'm also waiting on a build.. 130 mid handle Bass Blaster!
He's probably covered in teak dust as we speak
Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #40
Behslayer

Yep.. lots of dust.

Here's something that we've been waiting on.. These are the New Ulusub Bombproof Reels. These have been a Long time in design/development and I'm real happy with the result. The goal was to make an overbuilt Reel, something stronger, thicker, bigger, better than what is available on the market today. Thick Moulded Glass Filled Nylon Spools, Handle and Drag Knob, Co-Moulded Glass Nylon/Stainless Base, Stainless Axle Base. Multi-Washer Drag System. The Reel Base can be recessed into the stock similar to our Bombproof Handles. We are also offering an Adaptor Plate so that these Reels can be used with Rail Guns.

These Reels are 5Oyd capacity and 9Oyd capacity measured with 2.5mm diameter dyneema. One Nice thing about these reels is that by pivoting the Axle Base, it's possible to interchange the 5Oyd Spool with the 9Oyd Spool on the Same Reel base. This is nice for example, if you are shooting on the Reef or in the Kelp one day, and another time you are shooting in the Blue for Wahoo.. The 5Oyd reel actuall accepts a bit more than 5Oyds, and is a great match for our smaller guns. The 9Oyd Reel is a Beast. This Reel was specifically designed for Wahoo fishing but is good for anyone who wants to target bigger game.

These Reels come standard on all of our guns from here on. We will also be offering these Reels as either 5Oyd, 9Oyd or as a Reel System including both spools in the upcoming month to the public.

Okay guys. Back to work. To be honest, I'm a bit swamped over here and things are taking time, but everything is moving and is getting done.

-Jon
info@ulusub.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	171212   Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel1.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	171213   Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel2.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	171214   Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel3.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	171215   Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel4.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	171216  

Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel5.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	171217   Click image for larger version

Name:	UlusubReel6.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	171218  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #41
johnnyp

+1
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
Nix

How much do the reels cost by themselves? It would be great if neptonics would carry them too.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #43
Behslayer

Hi Nick,

I'm still working out the pricing, but they should be @ $70 for the 50yd Reel and @ $90 for 90yd Reel. The Combo would be @ $110.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #44
Nix

Great. I love the old style reel but I'd love to try one of the new ones with the gun I'm building for the handle I bought from you.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #45
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Saweet!