Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

best dremel bit to route wood open track?

looking for recco on best dremel bit [i dont have or have access to a router, thus using my dremel 4200 and jig] to route wood open track for 7.5mm shaft. thanks!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: best dremel bit to route wood open track?

You would be better off making a scraper plane and doing the track that way . a dremel is not the tool for the job

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Behslayer

Kavachi,

no matter how deep you are in the jungle, somebody there has a woodshop. Get that one cut made for you. They could even use a Tablesaw.. But get that one cut made straight and flush for you and you can make the rest of the gun with your dremel.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks Phil!
been using a homemade draw plane jigged to a straight edge, works but getting clean profile takes a fair bit of dicking around, hence thinking of running dremel router bit then sander bit thru it. experimenting with different stock profiles so a few tracks to do!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Kavachi,

no matter how deep you are in the jungle, somebody there has a woodshop. Get that one cut made for you. They could even use a Tablesaw.. But get that one cut made straight and flush for you and you can make the rest of the gun with your dremel.
mate if there was a woodshop within cooee I'd be dropping around every Friday arvo with beer to take advantage of it dont worry !

have a circular saw setup so I can rip straight edges, and the V plane, but getting nice clean U profiled track takes a lotta work

dont give a rat's about finish or cosmetics [these are rough stocks to work out volume distribution] just want to make sure shaft has nice true run from go to whoah

thanks!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Behslayer

If you can rip the steps of the U with a circular saw, you could try Phil's idea of a scraper plane. I read about it a while ago. I make scraper planes all the time from Screws in dowels then file and sand the top down to diameter and sharp. With what phil is talking about you can set depth relative to the flat top so it will be flush. I been there. I shaped my first guns using a Hacksaw blade..
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
phil herranen

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...uterPlane.html

Something like this but with the cutter ground to a radius and a rail to run it straight and you can make a track in a few minutes

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #8
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...uterPlane.html
Something like this but with the cutter ground to a radius and a rail to run it straight and you can make a track in a few minutes
thanks Phil!
similar concept I've used but that is FAR more refined
mine's just a hardwood frame that fits over the stock to drag a U shaped blade [repurposed file end] along the stock, with the grain. have tried varying the angle of attack but still get some ripout and splintering in the Vitex, with a fair bit of work to clean it up.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Ended up bolting circular saw underneath bench to work as table saw, and cut the track with blade set at three different depths [heights?!] running stock both ways to keep the cut straight. Ended up with nice straight semicircular profiletrack. A little cleaning up with shaft and 80 grit and good to go!
Much better result and lot less cleaning up than homemade drawplane I used previously. Thanks for the pointers!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
spearq8

A Dremel doesn't work well as a router at all and you would do much better with a cheap small router. Dremels are just not designed to take lateral loads while spinning. But really the best results to make a straight track are right there in your gun ... it is your shaft (assuming you have a straight shaft). If you are able to make a straight cut with a saw, all you have to do is the following.

1. Tape up the sides of your track
2. Use electrical tape to lay 2 straight layers of tape on your shaft in a U shape with the cut edges on top
3. Make a mix of some epoxy with some filler ... a nice mix would be some fiber with graphite ... but really any fiber filler would do.

Now just lay your shaft onto the track, wipe off the excess that goes on the masking tape and let it cure. Remove the tape after the epoxy mix cures and just sand the edges. You have a pure super clean track. I would recommend that you do this track making at the same time that you are doing your trigger seating. This makes your track and trigger mating perfect and better than you would ever be able to do with a router alone. I have done this procedure several times and it works really well ... so well that I use it even for new guns that don't have perfect track to trigger mating. Shaft track to trigger mating is very important as it releases the shaft very smoothly and without any wobble ... which improves accuracy and shaft velocity.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 AM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks Majd! when I can get hold of some epoxy I'll try that!