Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
WRC

Need new BC

Been diving with a Zeagle Ranger BC for 20 yrs.Looking for a weight intergrated hard pack that does not cause you to face dive on the surface.What is out there?
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
GillBilly

Re: Need new BC

I tried out the ranger for a bit. And switched to a hollis it turned out to be the best BC i havr owned able to be customized to individual likes and and awsome range of motion while wearing it.
GillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

I have a jacket style QD pro that is the older model to this one (This has the I3 inflater, the one I have is the typical shoulder hose inflater) Size is an XL

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sqtpqi3/...Fcg1Qgodui0ADA

I would sell it for 150$ plus shipping. Its in great shape, integrated weight pockets, no issues. I keep it as a backup... but I guess I could sell it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QDPRO.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	197144  
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
pissingoffpeta

Anything that's tech/harness is def my preference the hollis like mentioned above is harness I just saw a deal for them
http://shop.coraledgeadventures.com/...208110000X.htm
I have bought from this shop before and was very pleased with purchase and shipping
pissingoffpeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
seadogger

Apex Harness rig. Weight integrated but no pockets . You can add pockets on the belt. Very comfy.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissingoffpeta View Post
Anything that's tech/harness is def my preference the hollis like mentioned above is harness I just saw a deal for them
http://shop.coraledgeadventures.com/...208110000X.htm
I have bought from this shop before and was very pleased with purchase and shipping
thats a killer deal for a rec/tec setup.

forgot to add the other plus of a backplate and wing, get the harness woven onto a plate correctly and the whole setup will fit you like a glove, and I mean perfectly, better then any off the shelf bcd will. Ive been able to position my d rings on my waist and shoulders exactly where I want them as well. I can know when i reach to one, exactly what is going to be clipped to it.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Surface Tension

I used to dive a Zeagle Ranger and switched to a backplate and wing. Much less drag and with a stainless backplate and steel tanks I need very little additional weight. Backplates are nice because you can attach accessories much easier. I actually bolt a couple a small weight on my back plate and never need additional weight. (i am sure some will say there is risk because i can't ditch my weight but i am not of this opinion). I also zip tie an EPIRB in an old light canister to my back plate. I have a Diverite but there are plenty of good choices out there.

Another trick I learned is to glue a thigh pack on my wet suit to carry items, since I don't have the vest and pockets. I typically carry a spare flashlight, emergency scissors and a safety sausage in there.

Good luck.

Dave
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
AndrewK

Backplate and wing all the way. I prefer an aluminum plate with a halcyon wing and single tank adapter . Back inflate rigs like the ranger and the backplate wing rigs only need to be partially inflated on the surface to keep you upright and buoyant. Jacket style bcds are a waste of time and shift too much air around in the bladder while diving. Back inflate gives you. Better position underwater as we'll.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Dove with that BC of yours today Andrew...gotta say, you are going to have a tough time getting that back from me...
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Dove with that BC of yours today Andrew...gotta say, you are going to have a tough time getting that back from me...
better get that thing back or the girlfriend is not gonna be happy with you..... thats gonna be her rig once i can get her in the pool for her skill reviews.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Tell her how sorry i am please, i have a bag of 250 Jr bacon Cheeseburgers and multiple packs of trident layers right in my hand. Do you want me to mail the burgers to you or her??
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
FredT

Backplate and wing is the right way to go.

If you are diving the nearly the same buoyancy requirement most dives one way to get a plate/tank rig that handles your "normal" buoyancy/ballast needs without extra lead weight. This also has the advantage of putting the buoyancy and weight behind you, with the air bag between the heavy bits. This will tend to float you chest up based on the center of buoyancy of your exposure suit/body.

The attached file is one I wrote several years ago that can serve as a quick memory jogger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Buoyancy calcs.pdf (13.9 KB, 136 views)
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote