Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #16
Trace

Re: Double Roller Build done!

Looks great. Thank you for posting.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
spearo54

for sale?
spearo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo54 View Post
for sale?
Not this one but I'm starting another one soon that I might sell
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
deanmc
FII Professional

Had a chance to test it out in the pool. I like! Minimal recoil.

https://vimeo.com/200829429
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
seal77

Beautifull gun,congrats! But there is a general mistake in the rolls set,wich you can see under the muzzle,the top is fine.Rolls are too small and bands frict on the edge.Bands must not touch the body ,especially arround the muzzle.At least 2 mm overhang is needed.That takes from the performance.You need new bigger rolls and new holes to be perfect.
I believe many people make that mistake,but here is well visible on the loaded gun
seal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #21
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal77 View Post
Beautifull gun,congrats! But there is a general mistake in the rolls set,wich you can see under the muzzle,the top is fine.Rolls are too small and bands frict on the edge.Bands must not touch the body ,especially arround the muzzle.At least 2 mm overhang is needed.That takes from the performance.You need new bigger rolls and new holes to be perfect.
I believe many people make that mistake,but here is well visible on the loaded gun
Thank you. I see what you are saying. Larger rollers or thin down the profile at the muzzle so the bands don't rub on the underside. The first one is always a learning experience!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #22
seal77

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Thank you. I see what you are saying. Larger rollers or thin down the profile at the muzzle so the bands don't rub on the underside. The first one is always a learning experience!
Yes,but this is a really nice first one
seal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #23
Behslayer

good info Seal. Dean that thing is sweet.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #24
deanmc
FII Professional

Thank you John and Seal! You guys have inspired me, and I'm sure many other home builders who frequent this forum.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
Otolithco

Beautiful gun Dean. Looks like it shoots well - any idea what distance you were shooting? Question, how do you load it? Do you use a hook on a bracelet or something to get the pretensioned bands up around the rollers? With the full length enclosed track, it looks impossible to load the shaft in with the wishbones on the muzzle and bands under tension.
Otolithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #26
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otolithco View Post
Beautiful gun Dean. Looks like it shoots well - any idea what distance you were shooting? Question, how do you load it? Do you use a hook on a bracelet or something to get the pretensioned bands up around the rollers? With the full length enclosed track, it looks impossible to load the shaft in with the wishbones on the muzzle and bands under tension.
Hi Otolithco. Those shots were from a distance of about 15 feet.

The gun is super easy to load. There is a loading tab on the shaft 20 inches from the trigger mech, I also have one at the same place on the underside of the gun. I first attach the rubber to the hook on the underside of the gun which leaves plenty of band to grab ahold of on the topside of the gun. I then pull the band back to either the cheater tab on the shaft, or, all the way back to the rear shark fin. Then, flip the gun over and finish pulling the band back from the loading hook positioned "mid-barrel" to the rear loading tab (just in front of the reel). Repeat the same process for the 2nd band.

There was a bit of a learning curve but now that I figured out all the little nuances it's super easy. Also after shooting, before trying to reload the shaft into the track, disconnect both bands from the loading tabs on the underside of the gun and pull them half-way through the rollers. When the bands are relaxed they will stay put at this position. This makes it much easier to load the shaft into the track and then get the shooting line wrapped up where it should be.