Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
Christof
Buddies are the best

Need some info on Ft. Myers area

Hey all... I am moving to the Ft. Myers area to work for 3 or 4 months and was hoping to learn a bit of area fishing/spearing while there.... I only freedive (Maui usually) so I have no tanks.... Any help on what I can expect there?
Thanks in advance!

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: Need some info on Ft. Myers area

You have to go farther offshore to get to your spots. Usually 25-50 miles to get good vis. That is about a 2 hour boat ride in most cases. That will put you in about 50' of water. Good vis. on this coast is 20' Temperature this time of year is 60 degrees. I know of some good charters that cater to spearos, however I dont know any freedivers in this area as I only dive tanks. What my LDS suggests to those that are not used to gulf diving should drive to the East Coast, (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano) and pick up a charter there. There are a lot more free divers in that area and I am sure some of them would love to have a fellow brother come along. They go out all the time. You have about a 2 hour drive over there and 20 minute boat ride and this time of year you will get 50' of vis. and 72 degree water. There are a lot more spots and artifical reefs to choose from on that coast and you are short hop from the Keys.

On the Gulf Coast you can expect to get grouper (black, red and gag), snapper (mangrove, yellow tail, cubera), hog fish, amberjacks, sheepshead, shovel nose lobster and the occasional spiney bug. You will see more goliath grouper on this coast than the east coast, but the sharks are less prevalent than the East Coast.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Freediving on the west coast of Florida is best in the spring.

It's true that visibility close to shore in Ft Myers is lacking, but it's much better just north in Boca Grande and all the way through the St Pete/Clearwater area and north up to Bayport.

See www.divefsda.com for information on the State Freediving Championship in April.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Wiley Sea

There is plenty of good bottom 10-15 miles west of Sanibel Island. Mostly ledges and some rockpiles. I've found visibility on average better than what I've experienced off Bayport and Crystal River. Depths will range from 46-60'. For years I ran my boat to the Keys for lobster season, and on the return trip I would leave my boat down there for a couple of months and freedive that area. There are also some good artificials in this area that are published #'s and produce some very nice fish at times. If you pm me, I'll put you in the general area.

Wiley Sea
Wiley Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
airhog

biggsy is right. drive over to the east coast and/or keys if you plan on freediving (especially at this time of year). it's only a little over two hours and it's not a bad drive.

you can go to: www.flshoredives.nexuswebs.net/index.html for some places close to shore. around sanibel and captiva there are some places as well.

you will love ft. myers. i regret moving back. there is great fishing and good diving. good luck and have fun!
airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
DeepObsession
Capt. Luke S. Vadas

As a charter captain (and spearo) that does fish & dive charters in the Ft. Myers area I wholeheartedly agree with Biggsy and the other members here. Our viz can vary from nothing to 80' or more. The viz is TOTALLY weather dependent. After any front the Gulf gets very stirred up (as it is mostly sand and mud-like sediment on the bottom, but it can also lay down quickly when the weather is good. Freediving here requires good structure that supports a fish population year round (like the Air Force towers off of Marco and points south). Most quality fish sites are beyond the average freedivers abilities because of dept and pelagics (Mahi Tuna etc) are almost always an end of summer run offshore 40-70 miles. The advantage we have here is that the populations of fish typically far exceed the east coast. Good luck and straight steel.
DeepObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Wiley Sea

D.O. is certainly right about the weather dictating the visability. That's true anywhere on the Gulf coast....however, I've always felt that it cleared up quicker down south because deep water is alot closer to shore than it is up in the big bend. Just an old man's observation. However, I will disagree with your views on the opportunities for freediving in the area I described. Some of the hottest rockpiles and ledges I've dove on have been in that area. If your a solid freediver and can work that depth, you'll have plenty of opportunities for above average hogs, gags and some really nice snapper. And you never know....three years ago (in this area), Mark Frisbie and I took Bill Delabar out there and he killed a 91 lb. AJ...and two years before that I killed a 101 lb. cobia in the same waters...all freediving.

Wiley Sea
Wiley Sea is offline   Reply With Quote