Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
HurricaneBK

MVD Reels

Recently purchased an MVD soft touch vertical reel and was wondering if anyone had experience using them. The problem I've been encountering is that when I try to reel in any line with the drag set to anything but freespool, the reel locks up. Now this wouldn't normally be an issue when shooting a fish since it pulls out line, you land the fish, then can put the reel into freespool and reel in the line it took.

However, the frustration arises when you shoot something that doesn't take reel line and you're reloading. To reel in a couple extra inches of line to tighten the shooting line down, you have to put the reel into freespool first. My concern other than the extra step involved is I might forget to put it into freespool to reel in just an inch or two of line and then I shoot something with the reel locked up.

Perhaps this is the way the reels are intended to work, or I'm missing something obvious as all my previous reels have been either Aussie reels or Rob Allen vectas. Would love to hear from someone with experience using MVD's soft touch reels on how you use them.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: MVD Reels

I have one of those reels and if you set it to freespool doesn't go that easy into drag set. If you only loosen the nut a little, then yes. However, if you loosen the nut all the way, untill it tighthens in that position, it doesn't go into drag mode easily.

Sometimes is a matter of messing with o-rings (thickness, shape, etc.) to get it to work as you want.

To avoid having it locked by mistake, after reeling in my line, I tug on the line a bit to feel it.

Best regards,

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote